Confused. Not sure if I'll get one. A little disappointed. Might need advice

jkrc717

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I've been a faithful Blackberry user for a long time. As far as phone and communication, nothing beats it. It's extremely easy to use and convenient in every aspect.

However, lack of specs and apps forced me to move on.

I want a phone with the most state of the art technology.

I didn't want to jump on the IPhone bandwagon. Kind of sick of seeing everyone and their mother with one. I also see it as a chick phone. No offense.

I'm on the fence about Androids. It's still a possibility for me, but the OS doesn't really do it for me.

The Windows Phone Lumia was perfect. I really like the live tiles and the OS is very intriguing. I also really like Nokia. So this is perfect for me.

However, as far as specs, I don't think the 920 and 820 is on the same level as GSIII and doubt that it'll be on the level as IPhone 5 either.

The 920 is just slightly bigger, heavier and not as thin as I would have thought.

32GBs is more than enough for me, but it still should have an SD slot and removable battery.

The 820 is perfect for me because It has those things plus I do like a smaller screen. However, it doesn't have the same screen as tech as the 920.

I'm also on T-Mobile's value plan and just switched to unlimited talk, text and web for $69.99 a month and I'm very happy with T-Mobiles service so no way I'm switching. So the 820 would have been beyond perfect.

The camera they claim to have isn't enough for me. 40+MP possibly.

Now I'm debating on whether or not to wait for BB10.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Spec wise, a part from the microsd slot, the Lumia 920 is about on par with the GSIII (and every other top of the line android phone - especially the new motorola's that were announced today). The WP OS is far, far, far, speedier/streamlined than Android thus it doesn't need as high of a speeds/ram that Android does.

Remember, that the Lumia 920's have the 32GB onboard memory, but also has 7GB of Skydrive as well (or if you did in a timely fashion 25GBs).

You can't solely look at the specs of a phone and declare one better than the other. The iPhone 4s looks pretty dismal spec wise against many newer phones, but it still holds its own since I think that iOS is built better than Android, and I believe WP7/7.5/8 is built better than iOS.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
"No one will ever need more than 640K ram."

Specs are not the most important factor for phones, so if you are stuck on that, you may want to do some research. Also, no single phone has all the top specs on the market I dont think.

oblivman

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
How is the 920 not on the same level of the GSIII? They have the same CPU, GPU, better camera, better screen in some respects...

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
How is the 920 not on the same level of the GSIII? They have the same CPU, GPU, better camera, better screen in some respects...

We don't know if the camera is better and the screen is smaller while being a bigger and thicker phone. Not even close.

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
We don't know if the camera is better and the screen is smaller while being a bigger and thicker phone. Not even close.

Screen-Shot-2012-09-06-at-10.23.16-600x474.jpg

DSC_7972_575px.jpeg

LOL Poor Galaxy SIII camera.

Screen has more PPIs than any other phone in the market.

benjiprice

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
It would be useful if you mentioned specific use-cases where you think that the Lumia will be lacking.

As a general note on hardware: I'm not sure how much time you've spent with a WP, but my Samsung Focus S is the snappiest smartphone I've had (I've had iPhone, Android and WP), even though on paper the processor isn't that fast. The OS itself is very lean (at least WP7 is), so many of the "specs" aren't going to be that important. I made my decision on the Focus S, mainly for the screen, but I'm feeling that most WP8 screens will probably pretty equal for day to day use.

In terms of alternatives, Apple is certainly king when it comes to apps, and it's a nice OS, even if it never really pushes the boundaries of innovation. There are a lot of interesting features in Android, and I feel Google is going back to its roots of focusing on their strength in "algorithmic" features. Unfortunately the OS is a big mess. Updates always take ages to get to your specific phone--unless it's a vanilla google one--if they come at all (unless this has changed recently). The OS also just lacks a lot of polish.
Regarding BB10, I just don't feel that RIM has the internal competencies to compete with the likes of Apple, Goog and MS when it comes to playing in the smart phone/tablet market. These companies have a number of assets in their ecosystem that can interplay to support their strategies.

The T-mobile piece is tricky. I'm on AT&T and want to switch to T-mobile for a cheaper plan. But if T-mobile doesn't any native Lumias, you'd be forced to purchase one unlocked, so you'll be saving less. Then you'll have issues with some of band support. It seems that T-mobile will have the 1900 band fully supported by the end of the year. I'm not sure whether LTE will be compatible once they have it in 2013, though HSPA+ seems fast enough for me right now.

The best thing you could could do is try a few different phones out for a couple weeks each, if that's possible for you.

eruptflail

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
You and I are in similar boats. I'm not an iPhone person, they're girly in my opinion as well, and the OS doesn't do it for me. I don't like Blackberry or Android either, for many reasons.

I've decided my next phone, which I will purchase in December, will be a WP8 device. The Lumia 900 captured my eyes for WP so I think Nokia would be best for me, and you seem to be on the same boat as well.

What it really boils down to then is: "Are the new Lumia devices going to deliver and which one is right for me?" I've been struggling with this question as well.

As for specs, since the Iphone seems ruled out for both of us, the GSIII or the ATIV is the only logical next best. Both have a quad core processor, which for me says: "Battery drainer!" Quad core processors don't actually help performance wise. It's just a gimmick, because you have to design programs for quad core processors to even get a noticeable difference.

For me the GS3/ATIV are too, well, Samsung-y. Samsung tends to make devices that are too light, and focused on an outward facade- Like their quad core processor. Overall, except for the quad core processor Samsung has nothing on the Lumia 920, and if you still insist on a quadcore processor you're missing my whole point.

Oh and Megapixels mean nothing in regards to a camera's quality. I could give you sources and back this up, but honestly, just look it up and you'll see. It is all about the pixels. So a 41mp camera vs an 8mp camera means very little unless you want to partake in digital zoom without losses or blow up your picture into a huge frame. Honestly, the camera in the 920 is amazing. Ultimately, the Nokia 920 is the best phone on the market at the moment.

As for Tmobile, you should look into their prepaid plans and just buy an unlocked device. That's the route I go. You ultimately save more money than if you buy a subsidized device, and you have no contract and can get any unlocked GSM device.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
OK, so let me just say this... I got to hold the 920 and the 820 yesterday at the launch event. Neither of them felt bigger or heavier to me than the current Titan that I have.

Now it's possible you may prefer the lighter weight of the GS3/ATIV style design, and I get that... I think it's a toss-up on your preference, and I don't think you'll "lose" on either option. I'm anxious to see what HTC releases.

However, my vote is completely with the Lumia series, because of their support for the platform AND their customers. I have no reason to believe that Samsung or HTC actually care.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I've been a faithful Blackberry user for a long time. As far as phone and communication, nothing beats it. It's extremely easy to use and convenient in every aspect.

However, lack of specs and apps forced me to move on.

I want a phone with the most state of the art technology.

I didn't want to jump on the IPhone bandwagon. Kind of sick of seeing everyone and their mother with one. I also see it as a chick phone. No offense.

I'm on the fence about Androids. It's still a possibility for me, but the OS doesn't really do it for me.

The Windows Phone Lumia was perfect. I really like the live tiles and the OS is very intriguing. I also really like Nokia. So this is perfect for me.

However, as far as specs, I don't think the 920 and 820 is on the same level as GSIII and doubt that it'll be on the level as IPhone 5 either.

The 920 is just slightly bigger, heavier and not as thin as I would have thought.

32GBs is more than enough for me, but it still should have an SD slot and removable battery.

The 820 is perfect for me because It has those things plus I do like a smaller screen. However, it doesn't have the same screen as tech as the 920.

I'm also on T-Mobile's value plan and just switched to unlimited talk, text and web for $69.99 a month and I'm very happy with T-Mobiles service so no way I'm switching. So the 820 would have been beyond perfect.

The camera they claim to have isn't enough for me. 40+MP possibly.

Now I'm debating on whether or not to wait for BB10.

As far as the camera I would not pass judgment before you can play with it yourself and figure it out I suspect most of the issues with the 900's camera were due to owners not reading the user guide and checking out the ways to get the best pictures. As far as the camera also its not about the number of mp the camera has there are many more factors that go into picture quality. Specs are great but there's more to any device than specs and if you want the latest specs then you going to burn through a wad of cash buying the latest and greatest every time a new device comes out that's the newest iPhone or whatever killer device. If anything about the 920 is a deal breaker for you so be it. Lifes too short to worry and obsess about such matters IMHO.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
As for specs, since the iPhone seems ruled out for both of us, the GSIII or the ATIV is the only logical next best. Both have a quad core processor... .
<snipped>
...Overall, except for the quad core processor Samsung has nothing on the Lumia 920
Samsung has not announced any quad core WP8 devices. The ATIV S is also a dual core device, just like every other officially announced WP8 device so far.
Furthermore, the GSIII comes in two versions, of which only the international (non U.S.) version has a CPU with four cores. So, if you get your Samsung Galaxy SIII from a US carrier, it will be a dual core device.
... the GSIII or the ATIV is the only logical next best. Both have a quad core processor, which for me says: "Battery drainer!"
Quad core CPU’s are not necessarily battery drainers, although they can be. I've touched on this issue here.
... and if you still insist on a quadcore processor you're missing my whole point.
Absolutely true! Furthermore, the vast majority of Android apps (some benchmarking programs are the exception) exhibit better performance on the dual core Galaxy SIII than they do on the quad core variant. This is a typical example of consumers falling into the "spec sheet optimization" trap. Assuming four cores are always better than two is just plain wrong (unless running multithreaded benchmark applications is your favorite pastime).

The internals of the U.S. GSIII, the ATIV S and the Lumia 920 are identical. They all use the exact same SoC, so their CPU/GPU specs are exactly the same. The iPhone5's CPU will be similar, but I expect it will have a better GPU (although that is just speculation at this point).

Anyway, even if the U.S. GSIII, the ATIV S and the Lumia 920 weren't internally identical, the "number of cores" is one of the most irrelevant specs to base your purchasing decision on (like I said, the dual core GSIII is faster than the four core variant in almost all situations). I've attempted to explain why in the same thread I linked to above.

Yes, I'm in the same boat. I really wan't Nokias exclusive apps (and camera lens apps), so I will be waiting for a smaller high-end WP8 device which is sure to come at the top of 2013.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon