The dust has settled, what's your assessment of the 920/820?

Timture

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
So after giving it some time to sink in, I'm not sure Nokia made the right moves with the 820/920 in terms of form factor. First off they are not Apple, so they can't get away with a rehash of design. I think it's safe to say, Apple has a massive loyal fan base that let's them get away with such things. Nokia are in the process of building so they need to be more aggressive. I mean, how do you attract new customers if they don't even think you have a new phone out. The average Joe looking at your 820/920 on the shelf, will think it's last year's phone they remember not being interested in. They may take one look and pass their eyes over to the next device. But I believe the biggest issue they have is the size of their devices. The 920 is just too darn heavy and thick as a mobile device. Now this isn't an issue with Nokia customers, but it's the casual shopper you have to think about. It's their perception that matters when it comes to growth of the brand and model. Samsung attacked the industry with Specs you could see and feel. By that I mean screen size and quality, lightness and thinness. These are specs you don't have to do any research to know. You just pick up the device and see and feel it. Their Galaxy line has grown out of control in an ocean of Android devices. I have no doubt that the 920 will feel like a bigger phone compared to a GS3 (which has a bigger screen) because of it's weight and thickness. These are not specs that are desirable in a mobile device. For those that think the Camera is gonna be a selling point, I don't believe it will. People in general don't care about "top" quality camera performance. I have never heard anyone say that they picked phone X because it had the best camera on the market. Do you really think the average joe that bought the GS3 even knew the quality of it's camera?
So again, when a company is in a position where they are digging themselves out of a hole, they need in your face stats to attract the customers. Apple has built itself a cult following that lets them get away with underwhelming hardware, so it wouldn't make sense comparing Nokia's situation to Apple's.
Now for my part, I will be buying an Ativ S. Not because I think it's the best phone out there, I don't even need a phone right now. I have a GS3 and it's unreal. I will buy the Ativ S to support the growth of Windows Phone OS fist and foremost.

Last edited:

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Couple of points. The L900 was released in April, so the design has only been out 5 months, not a year. And both phones are different enough from their predecessors to not be confused. Second, all I read about a few months ago was how much the Nokia Lumia camera sucked, and was a show stopper. Now, a camera is not that important? What a difference a season makes.

At the end of the day, you go to the store (or online) and buy the phone of your choice. Everyone has different needs. But knocking phones on the same platform, the platform you (generalizing here, nothing personal) prefer, is bull****. Tell me what you like about your choice, but don't tell me why I shouldn't buy my "choice". And please don't tell me who to vote for either.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

Timture

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Couple of points. The L900 was released in April, so the design has only been out 5 months, not a year. And both phones are different enough from their predecessors to not be confused. Second, all I read about a few months ago was how much the Nokia Lumia camera sucked, and was a show stopper. Now, a camera is not that important? What a difference a season makes.

At the end of the day, you go to the store (or online) and buy the phone of your choice. Everyone has different needs. But knocking phones on the same platform, the platform you (generalizing here, nothing personal) prefer, is bull****. Tell me what you like about your choice, but don't tell me why I shouldn't buy my "choice". And please don't tell me who to vote for either.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

Please keep emotions out of this discussion as it leads nowhere. Nowhere did I say what YOU should buy. I was giving my assessment on Nokia's situation. This is a forum to share our opinions.
In regards to your point on people complaining the camera sucked on the 900, it's called a loud minority. You know like the loud minority that cries about how Android is fragmented and updates are few and far between. Yet Android is activating 1.3 Million devices a day. Or how about the loud minority that swears Samsung devices are cheap feeling plastic phones that look uninspiring, yet the GS3 has sold over 20 Million phones in 100 days.
So you see, I want to keep this discussion void of emotions. Let's discuss whether you think Nokia has done enough with their new 820/920 to grab the NEW customers they need to get WP8 growing and to stop them from becoming extinct.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I like the devices though I kind of want an 820 with the camera and higher resolution screen. I will probably wait until the 930/830's come out though.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
920 is what the 800/900 should had being from the start. I'm not sure about the specs 100% so I can't comment much but I'm very disappointed by the 820 resolution and camera. I though it was going to be mid range not low end.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
A day or so later and I'm still stoked for the Lumia 920. I've wanted a Nokia since the 900, because of their support for their devices. What the 920 offers is more than enough for what i want in a phone.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure that I would call the 820 low-end... it definitely has its strengths, but I do agree they skimped on the display...

UNLESS, they do, in fact intend to offer the 920 and 820 on all carriers once the AT&T exclusive ends.

OR, they are minimizing development expense. Why release an expensive device that a carrier won't bother promoting?

As for the 920, I agree... this is the device the 900 refined and perfected... almost as if the 900 was still a beta after all, lol.

malachijd

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
You know, at 1st, I really didn't the 820. It has the same screen resolution as my current trophy. I really wanted the 920 but I'm on a family plan and Verizon really does have the best coverage where I live. So seeing as Nokia is really the only supporting windows phone I'm going to get the best Nokia wp8 on Verizon at launch to support them.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Please keep emotions out of this discussion as it leads nowhere. Nowhere did I say what YOU should buy. I was giving my assessment on Nokia's situation. This is a forum to share our opinions.
In regards to your point on people complaining the camera sucked on the 900, it's called a loud minority. You know like the loud minority that cries about how Android is fragmented and updates are few and far between. Yet Android is activating 1.3 Million devices a day. Or how about the loud minority that swears Samsung devices are cheap feeling plastic phones that look uninspiring, yet the GS3 has sold over 20 Million phones in 100 days.
So you see, I want to keep this discussion void of emotions. Let's discuss whether you think Nokia has done enough with their new 820/920 to grab the NEW customers they need to get WP8 growing and to stop them from becoming extinct.

So android is activating 1.3 million phones a day because consumers know android and love it, or because they range in price and if you asked an average consumer to name that low end phone they got for free, the closest answer you'd get is "a droid"?

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
My sister has been an iPhone fan since it first came out. She converted her husband, my other sister, a cousin, and other to Apple over the years.

...and now she feels icky and town because all her emotions are telling her that she wants the Lumia 920.

The appeal is broad.

I think the biggest problem right now isn't the phone. It's Nokia haters that feel threatened for some reason.

Bentstraight

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
I mean, how do you attract new customers if they don't even think you have a new phone out. The average Joe looking at your 820/920 on the shelf, will think it's last year's phone they remember not being interested in. They may take one look and pass their eyes over to the next device. But I believe the biggest issue they have is the size of their devices. The 920 is just too darn heavy and thick as a mobile device. Now this isn't an issue with Nokia customers, but it's the casual shopper you have to think about. It's their perception that matters when it comes to growth of the brand and model. Samsung attacked the industry with Specs you could see and feel. By that I mean screen size and quality, lightness and thinness. These are specs you don't have to do any research to know. You just pick up the device and see and feel it.

BINGO!!!

This has been exactly what I've been saying. As you called it "the in your face specs." You pick up a phone that's thin, light and with a big beautiful screen, you know it. You don't need a sales guy shoving specs down your throat, nor do you have to read about it. You know it because you holding it in your hand and feeling it. Your typical buyer doesn't know about dual core/quad core, 1-2 GB Ram, or the abilities of the camera. All they know is what they feel in their hands at the time they buy.
I'm worried someone picks up a 920, and right away they see it's thick and heavy. Then continues to associate WP as thick and heavy phones. Most people don't like that. You can see it by the sales number of current phones. And we also saw it in a recent study. It would be nice if WP8 had it's own display with all it's phones in one display. This would be ideal.

Bentstraight

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Who has said.the 920 is heavy? All the sites say it is light

Who has actually said this phone is light? It's one of the heaviest phones out there.

Lumia 920 - 185g and 10.7 mm thick

For comparison:

Lumia 900 - 160g
Titan II - 147g
iPhone 4S - 140g
Galaxy S3 - 133g
HTC One X - 130g

You have people who have moved on to the GS3 or the One X from and iPhone 4S and have raved about how much more lighter they are than their 4S. And that's from a 7g-10g difference. Trust me it's quite noticeable. Can you imagine what a 52g difference would feel like? :shocked:

Note: Galaxy Note 2 weighs 180g. It's got a 5.5 inch screen and 9.4 mm thick.

So let's be clear, the Lumia 920 is one heavy phone.

Last edited:

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
To answer the OP's Q, 920 is what I like. But there are several factors that will play a part in me giving Nokia my hard-earned money.

1. The price. I just read somewhere, it might be 758$ I MEAN WHAT??!! No ways am I paying so much.

2. Lumia's reception over all. And by that I don't mean paid-reviews but real ones.

3. The future. What lies ahead for this series of phones and what MS plans to do with them.

4. Updates. The fact that flashing a ROM is non-existent on WP, only and only MS will be updating my phone.

5. The apps. Will be in a better position to react to them once they are out in the open.

AKA Preluva

Banned
Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
BINGO!!!

This has been exactly what I've been saying. As you called it "the in your face specs." You pick up a phone that's thin, light and with a big beautiful screen, you know it. You don't need a sales guy shoving specs down your throat, nor do you have to read about it. You know it because you holding it in your hand and feeling it. Your typical buyer doesn't know about dual core/quad core, 1-2 GB Ram, or the abilities of the camera. All they know is what they feel in their hands at the time they buy.
I'm worried someone picks up a 920, and right away they see it's thick and heavy. Then continues to associate WP as thick and heavy phones. Most people don't like that. You can see it by the sales number of current phones. And we also saw it in a recent study. It would be nice if WP8 had it's own display with all it's phones in one display. This would be ideal.

But it's got Pureview!

OK sorry I couldn't resist! :lol:

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Nothing has settled. All the tech blogs are doing right now is hyping up the faked Nokia ad. That's all that they want to talk about. Apple Chinese slave labor, who cares! But a faked ad about a camera feature, that's what's really important!

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I didn't like it on day one. On day two, I really do.

UPSIDES:

Great looks.

Solid construction.

OIS camera seems really good in the hands of third party reviewers.

Great screen.

Massive onboard storage for my Zune Pass music.

Nokia has a good reputation for customer support and sending out updates and patches.

DOWNSIDES:

I worry that all the added technology--OIS, super-sensitive touchscreen, etc, is "more stuff to break." More sources for bugginess.

The button placement is really bad for a left-hander. I'm going to be cradling the power button in my palm when I'm holding the phone in my right hand (to hand-write while talking, to touch the screen with my left hand, etc). Power button should be somewhere else so that there's "neutral ground" to hold the phone on the middle of each side.

I miss cyan. Cyan, I miss you.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Who has actually said this phone is light? It's one of the heaviest phones out there.

Lumia 920 - 185g and 10.7 mm thick

For comparison:

Lumia 900 - 160g
Titan II - 147g
iPhone 4S - 140g
Galaxy S3 - 133g
HTC One X - 130g

You have people who have moved on to the GS3 or the One X from and iPhone 4S and have raved about how much more lighter they are than their 4S. And that's from a 7g-10g difference. Trust me it's quite noticeable. Can you imagine what a 52g difference would feel like? :shocked:

Note: Galaxy Note 2 weighs 180g. It's got a 5.5 inch screen and 9.4 mm thick.

So let's be clear, the Lumia 920 is one heavy phone.
Again

The sites say its light. The people that have wielded the phone say its light. Because it is heavier does not mean its heavy and I highly doubt someone like you would have a necessity for two phones to have a daily reminder that one is bigger than the other. For the general population that has one and uses one phone at a time, they won't think its a brick. And all the sites say that. All.

Now have a seat

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb