is putting some Skin features like the giant HTC clock a good thing?

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
htc8x.png

Hey guys I saw this render and it has the giant clock on top. Which tones of people love. like what is on HTC sense. Do you think this is a good solution?

It's using the HTC sense like UI but it's looks like Wp8 without the lag of the android HTC sense. I think this a good solution. Samsung should do this but make it look like stock wp8. This is how to make everybody happy. use a wp8 like UI with their touchwiz or sense skin but make it look exactly like stock wp8 without the lag. without making the OEMs and consumer happy. These features will likely find the difference between other Wps

Last edited:

geekmaster

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Click to view quoted image

Hey guys I saw this render and it has the giant clock on top. Which tones of people love. like what is on HTC sense. Do you think this is a good solution?

It's using the HTC sense Skin but it's looks like Wp8. I think this a good solution. Samsung should do this but make it look like stock wp8
agreed for the most part but it would have been cool if there was also a traditional analog clock to the side of the digital one. The option to show and update multiple time zones would be nice. And for added style add a second counter :D

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
agreed for the most part but it would have been cool if there was also a traditional analog clock to the side of the digital one. The option to show and update multiple time zones would be nice. And for added style add a second counter :D
Should it be a live tile displaying the weather and the weather landscape in certain places or a a tile like the pictures hub tile. gives a preview of the weather and the landscape in the background in certain places?

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
That's not a skin, that's just a double-wide live tile for the HTC Hub. I think it's an effective way of giving the phone a "skin-like" feel without the inevitable lag that comes from an OEM modifying an OS...particularly for [edit]HTC[/edit] whose signature look is a giant clock up top. Kind of makes you wonder why they didn't always do the HTC Hub live tile this way (in WP7 the HTC Hub's live tile is a weather app with no clock, and the app itself contains weather and stocks and an RSS reader).

Last edited:

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
That's not a skin, that's just a double-wide live tile for the HTC Hub. I think it's an effective way of giving the phone a "skin-like" feel without the inevitable lag that comes from an OEM modifying an OS...particularly for Nokia whose signature look is a giant clock up top. Kind of makes you wonder why they didn't always do the HTC Hub live tile this way (in WP7 the HTC Hub's live tile is a weather app with no clock, and the app itself contains weather and stocks and an RSS reader).
I agree it's a very good solution getting some features from skins but applying it on stock wp8 without the lag. The reason they didn't do this is because MS didn't let them and the tiles will be too small to fix the giant clock

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I've wondered for a long time now why the HTC Hub tile didn't function the way this render depicts. It could use a front as pictured, a back for some user-chosen function (weather, news, whatever), and with WP8 it could be resized to normal or small and display an Analog version of the clock. Seems perfectly reasonable to me.

It would follow the rules and spirit of the metro design philosophy AND still give HTC Users the customization options they've had from Sense.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I like it, That clock is what differentiates HTC home screen from other devices. It looks cool, it looks HTC and you can remove it. I approve of everything there.

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I like it. Manufacturers need a way to visually differentiate themselves, not just by their hardware. Like GoodThings said, this follows the metro---err, I mean Modern UI--- principles and it sets the phone apart from others.

Apoc

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I think it's pretty cool, would be great for the OEMs to do something unique to their HUBs, which I'm sure HTC, could really put their mark on it, as their used to doing.

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I think the reason was because the tiles were too small

There's plenty of room for it to be a clock in WP7. It's a double-size tile; plenty of room for big numbers. As it is, about 3/4 of it is an illustration of the current weather and 1/4 of it is current temp, high for the day, and low for the day.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Hah! Good point, which may be the bigger reason why they haven't done that yet. Perhaps having the tile update in real time for a clock is the challenge.

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
I've always found clock widgets when the clock is elsewhere on the screen to be redundant, but a lot of people seem to like it, and if it allows OEMs to differentiate a bit, what's the harm? It's not like all OEMs can differentiate by pouring money into hardware specific to Windows Phone as Nokia can/has to. Another thing to note us that the OEM skins on Android have been getting less intrusive, so it's not like the idea of whittling down the things that make their experiences distinct is new to them at this point.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss