ok.. So who is fed up of the PAID nokia knocking?

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Winterfang isn't a troll, just doesn't care for Nokia's products. Not sure why the speculation of "trouble in Windows Phone Paradise" though.

Microsoft has consistently taken a secrecy approach to Windows Phone 8 and a public approach to Windows 8, but the timelines haven't really changed. They were always planning an RTM in September for WP8 and a launch in late October. I think people forget the fact that Mango went RTM about a month before release too.

I wonder... was this dual-approach tactic a way of seeing which style generates more positive attention for Microsoft? If so, I personally feel like W8's public approach has been better.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Considering neither product has been released, there has been no "deliver" from any of the OEMs.

So basically, you're hoping to taint people's views before delivery.

Well, you can be petulant about it, that is your right.

I'm saying that there's nothing to buy, and by the time there is, nobody will be left to care to buy it.

This is prime phone selling season, and all Microsoft has to sell is Windows Phone Tango handsets. The new stuff comes along in November (assuming rumors are correct), two months after everyone who was waiting-and-seeing for September announcements will purchase a new Android and Apple device.

I'll probably own a WP8 -- not a Nokia one, unless they deliver far beyond my expectations. But I'm sure that, for yet another year, I'll be one of only a handful of people I know who have a Windows Phone, in a sea of Android and iOS users... because they blew their big chance this year to deliver.

While there's some merit in the idea of getting people to upgrade to Windows Phone along with Windows 8, that's a strategy that will take a lot of time and slow, steady erosion to achieve.

HTC and Samsung are profitable and cash rich... they can be patient. Nokia is staring death in the face. If sales don't get better immediately, they're out of business.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
You obviously hate Windows Phone. You seem utterly confident it will die,

No, I use Windows Phone.

I want to see it succeed.

That's why I'm pissed off at Microsoft and Nokia. They're killing it.

If banning me will make you feel better, that's fine. Doesn't change the fact that I represent an actual viewpoint that's quite popular in the WP userbase. Banning more users won't make the userbase larger.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Ok here's how it's going down right now. In order for this thread to stay open we must stop the inflammatory statements and name calling.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Oh c'mon.

When someone asks you "what phone should I buy," and tells you he's considering Apple's new iPhone, a Galaxy S III, or an HTC One X/S, you're going to say "you should buy a WP7 device that will never run WP8 today, and then wait and buy another WP8 phone a few months from now?"

Whatever I might say, surely, wouldn't you apply this logic to the "new iPhone" and One X+:
Until product is shipped, it's not an option for ANYONE.

?

Let's face it. Windows Phone 8, right now, is even less tangible than BlackBerry 10 (RIM has, after all, given demos of the UI and how to navigate the OS, something we have yet to see for WP8). Windows Phone 7 is an orphaned OS like Symbian or BlackBerry 7, without a real future.

Utter BS. Wp8 isn't even comparable to BB10. Why? Because it's not a complete makeover. We all know how to navigate the Windows Phone UI. Does Apple give a run down of the UI every new release of one of their products? Nope. They just showcase what's new.

The fact that WP8 still isn't shipping

What do you mean? It was never going to be shipping this side of October/November. Microsoft are building the platform at their own pace and will release it when they're good and ready. I couldn't give a flying funk what the competition's schedule is as a consumer who favours WP.

makes me wonder if it would have been smarter for MS to simply upgrade the CE kernel to support multiple cores and keep pushing a variant of WP7, so there'd be fresh, competitive phones for Q3.

And, it's a good job MS aren't so short-sighted, considering the eco-system they're building for the future.

What they did, instead, is publicly shoot WP7 in the head at BUILD in July, and then allow the market to languish for close to half a year with no current product (if the November launch dates are to be believed) and not even a timeline for when new devices come out.

And this languishing was timed to happen when competing ecosystems would be launching their newest, hottest products and scooping up large gobs of new users and marketshare, ensuring only tiny crumbs were left when WP8 handsets finally come to market.

Take a look at new Marketplace submissions. It's no coincidence that they've slowed so dramatically.

Maybe you're preaching to the wrong person, but I really don't see how this is relevant to Wp8. All they have done is take the momentum out of the Wp7 marketplace. Correct me if I am wrong, but IIRC, sales weren't effected.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Well, you can be petulant about it, that is your right.

I'm saying that there's nothing to buy, and by the time there is, nobody will be left to care to buy it.

This is prime phone selling season, and all Microsoft has to sell is Windows Phone Tango handsets. The new stuff comes along in November (assuming rumors are correct), two months after everyone who was waiting-and-seeing for September announcements will purchase a new Android and Apple device.

I'll probably own a WP8 -- not a Nokia one, unless they deliver far beyond my expectations. But I'm sure that, for yet another year, I'll be one of only a handful of people I know who have a Windows Phone, in a sea of Android and iOS users... because they blew their big chance this year to deliver.

While there's some merit in the idea of getting people to upgrade to Windows Phone along with Windows 8, that's a strategy that will take a lot of time and slow, steady erosion to achieve.

HTC and Samsung are profitable and cash rich... they can be patient. Nokia is staring death in the face. If sales don't get better immediately, they're out of business.
If the WP8 devices are available for sale in early November, they will not miss the holiday shopping season.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Oohh... for a moment I thought you were predicting the launch of Wp8 being cancelled.

:straight:

Now I was just humoring him point. He said that Windows Phone 8 isn't an option because it hasn't come out. Which is technically true, the other poster rebuttal was that even is it isn't out yet is still an option. I'm saying that it can still be cancelled so is not really an option in a way.

Of course, Microsoft can pull out a Palm.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Now I was just humoring him point. He said that Windows Phone 8 isn't an option because it hasn't come out. Which is technically true, the other poster rebuttal was that even is it isn't out yet is still an option. I'm saying that it can still be cancelled so is not really an option in a way.

Of course, Microsoft can pull out a Palm.

"Humour" being the operative word. :p

I really can't take claims that "Wp8 isn't an option" seriously.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Is it really that ridiculous? They are doing relative poorly in term of finances lately and things like MicroSD slot and other options are just nonsensical when you offer a thick device.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Is it really that ridiculous? They are doing relative poorly in term of finances lately and things like MicroSD slot and other options are just nonsensical when you offer a thick device.

Speak for yourself, bud.

Judging it against my old HD7 (which has slipped into my pocked with a silicon protector just fine for the last two years), I know it'll feel great in my pocket/hand.

mmacleodbrown

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site

It wasn't a technical choice, it was a design choice to leave out the SD card, just like you complaining about everything is a personal choice. If you dont like the nokia then go browse a different forum rather than constantly posting negativity because it doesn't meet what you want.
I don't like the ATIV-S, but you don't see me posting endlessly about it, please give it a rest..

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

Their stock price is low.

But they've restructured and are much leaner than they once were.

They've also got a good amount of operating cash.

They're not going out of business in the next 12 mos.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
It wasn't a technical choice, it was a design choice to leave out the SD card, just like you complaining about everything is a personal choice. If you dont like the nokia then go browse a different forum rather than constantly posting negativity because it doesn't meet what you want.
I don't like the ATIV-S, but you don't see me posting endlessly about it, please give it a rest..

This isn't a Nokia forum. If I wanted to troll I would visit the Nokia 920 subforum and complain there but that would be classless.

Here however I'm free to complain about how they are making pretty much every mistake possible and bring a device that doesn't represent the best they have to offer and trying to pass it on as a great innovation.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

Exactly.

It's fine to hate Nokia for whatever personal reason.

I dislike HTC because I've had bad experiences with their products, and I've been told by phone repair places that they see a lot of HTC and Motorola.

But I'm not going to incessantly harp on it every other post.

I'm also not going to believe that everyone must agree with my feelings about them.

Last edited:

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
This isn't a Nokia forum. If I wanted to troll I would visit the Nokia 920 subforum and complain there but that would be classless.

Here however I'm free to complain about how they are making pretty much every mistake possible and bring a device that doesn't represent the best they have to offer and trying to pass it on as a great innovation.

Just an observation, Winterfang...

Constructive criticism always makes for a healthy conversation, but 90% of your posts are hot air, from a personal viewpoint. You may feel that Nokia are making every mistake in the book, X/Y/Z, but you really need to substantiate 'how' & 'why', and what your approach would have been. Without the latter, you're coming off as someone who is only interested in slagging off Nokia.

Just my two pence.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I had always gave a reason as to why, to every point.

It gets disminished as either "my personal opinion" or "subjective" or just "plain hating" but hot air? man how can you say that? that cuts me deep.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss