4K all the way

You probably don't NEED a 4K webcam, but we love Logitech's BRIO 4K anyway

Long live Windows phone

Contrary to popular belief, Windows phone won't die anytime soon

XP-YESSSSSSS

Dell's already awesome XPS 15 gets even better in 2017

Surface Pwn 5

Surface Pro 5, Project NEON details leaked on LinkedIn?

Redefining the PC

Why Microsoft's Surface phone could be MUCH more than a mere 'phone'

Surface table meets Windows 10

Yes, we did put Windows 10 on the original Surface table ... and it rocks

Cream o' the crop

Before buying a Microsoft laptop, check out our pick for the absolute best

Simple and secure, just the way I like it

We think Windows 10 Cloud is a great idea, here's why

uber micro

Halo Wars 2 has something for everyone. Here's our full review.

Oldie but goldie

We reviewed Microsoft's decade-old Surface table

Creators Update comin' at ya

These are the coolest new features in the next big Xbox One update (video)

Buyer's guide

The Razer Blade 14 is the best laptop Razer has to offer

Windows 10 app gems

10 terrific Windows 10 apps you should be using

Tower of power

Here's what we think of Dell's XPS Tower Special Edition

Quite a deal

Grab the complete C# coding bootcamp for $41!

Your go-to laptop guide

Introducing our ultimate laptop buyer's guide

Listen here

Attn Android and iPhone users: What you need to know about Windows phone

Old is new?

The original Surface Pro still holds its own in the 2-in-1 world

Xbox Greenlight?

No, internet, Microsoft isn't opening Xbox to all UWP games

Falling in love

HP Envy 34 review: An ultrawide curved all-in-one after my heart

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34
Like Tree6Likes
  1. brmiller1976's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,092 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,580 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #1  
    I like this idea, if it's accurate AND if the range will be available on every carrier.

    The claim is that there will be an 8X (with a 4.7 inch screen, a WP8 version of the One X), am 8S (which would essentially be the "Accord," though I'm skeptical of the renderings that have been all over, and an 8V (a 4-inch low-end handset, possibly with the "HTC chin").

    A range of pricing options with a premium look-and-feel (e.g. no da-glo plastic) and build quality similar to the One X should be pretty tasty.

    HTC has seen strong sales in prepaid (and in foreign markets) with the V-series Androids... it would be awesome to see them deliver a big chunk of the prepaid market stateside to WP using the same model with an 8V.
  2. crystal_planet's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,018 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,088 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    I like this idea, if it's accurate AND if the range will be available on every carrier.

    The claim is that there will be an 8X (with a 4.7 inch screen, a WP8 version of the One X), am 8S (which would essentially be the "Accord," though I'm skeptical of the renderings that have been all over, and an 8V (a 4-inch low-end handset, possibly with the "HTC chin").

    A range of pricing options with a premium look-and-feel (e.g. no da-glo plastic) and build quality similar to the One X should be pretty tasty.

    HTC has seen strong sales in prepaid (and in foreign markets) with the V-series Androids... it would be awesome to see them deliver a big chunk of the prepaid market stateside to WP using the same model with an 8V.
    Which carriers are they available on? And how much? When is the release date?

    Until then it's vaporware.

    You can't trust HTC. I know a guy who got a new X and when he went to charge it for the first time, it simultaneously caught fire and was responsible for the death of 17 kittens. The premium feel you speak of is due to the fact the cases are made of depleted uranium and are toxic to the touch. Every single person I know of who has purchased an HTC product is either blind by the exploding glass of the display (HTC uses something called "Guerrilla Glass" - an actual weapon and not to be confused with "gorilla glass") or have been rendered impotent. It's sad actually.*


    *Please note: the above is utter and unequivocal nonsense and holds no shred of truth whatsoever. I don't hate HTC at all. I merely wished to get my bashing out of the way in one over-the-top mega nuts post.
  3. Gergolos's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    248 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #3  
    I would like to see HTC doing that. I use the HTC Arrive for a while now and pretty much love it. Of course: all the nokia exclusive Apps are kind of annoying, but all in all i like the idea of wp being pushed by Nokia so much (although Nokia does not have other chances than going all in on this one) and am sure that, in a way, all these apps will come on the other phones some day.

    But more Topic related:

    I would love it to have 3 phones from HTC on the WP-Market. In That way we would have 5 in total (1 Samsung, 2 Nokia and 3 HTC) and we all know that right now there can't be enough WP phones. Especially the 8V would be some awesome device for "starters"
  4. mmacleodbrown's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    266 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #4  
    why oh why are the nokia apps pulling me in so much?
    I just don't feel able to consider another phone as I have convinced myself that I will be shortchanged somehow.
    Im not 100% happy with the 920, size, weight, no SD, but the app integration just keeps calling at me and I know I will be unable to resist which is a shame.
  5. anodynamic's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    150 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #5  
    I doubt HTCs offer will be limited to one device. They've been dedicated enough on earlier releases, and I think offering two new devices with Mango was pretty decent. Internationally Samsung only offered the Omnia W, and the rest of the market was pretty much full of tumbleweeds while waiting to see what Nokia would do.

    They're pretty good at actually getting the finished product to the store shelves as well, so I wouldn't be surprised if HTC phones are the first to be available after WP8 is officially released. At least on the international market, that is.
  6. speedtouch's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,043 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,150 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #6  
    And not one of those HTC devices, nor any of the Nokia/Samsung devices, are tempting to me. I just want a successor to the Lumia 710!
  7. sconrad308's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    225 Posts
    Global Posts
    337 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #7  
    HTC Windows Phone 8 sees a solution, prepared three mobile | technology feed
    According to this Sept 19 is the HTC date to showcase their new phones.
    brmiller1976 likes this.
  8. brmiller1976's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,092 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,580 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gergolos View Post
    Of course: all the nokia exclusive Apps are kind of annoying, but all in all i like the idea of wp being pushed by Nokia so much (although Nokia does not have other chances than going all in on this one) and am sure that, in a way, all these apps will come on the other phones some day.
    The third party apps have a limited exclusivity period, and if the sales mix for WP8 is as mixed as I expect it to be, "exclusive" apps will become less appealing for developers.

    HTC is handling things rather well, so far. I'd expect they'll be able to show more product, the cameras will actually be complete (and work), and they may even be able to give a launch date. The press will be about the product, not about questionably ethical ads or features that "will work real soon now!" ;)
  9. Daniel Ratcliffe's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    3,046 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,703 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by crystal_planet View Post
    You can't trust HTC. I know a guy who got a new X and when he went to charge it for the first time, it simultaneously caught fire and was responsible for the death of 17 kittens. The premium feel you speak of is due to the fact the cases are made of depleted uranium and are toxic to the touch. Every single person I know of who has purchased an HTC product is either blind by the exploding glass of the display (HTC uses something called "Guerrilla Glass" - an actual weapon and not to be confused with "gorilla glass") or have been rendered impotent. It's sad actually.*


    *Please note: the above is utter and unequivocal nonsense and holds no shred of truth whatsoever. I don't hate HTC at all. I merely wished to get my bashing out of the way in one over-the-top mega nuts post.
    There's bashing, and then there's bashing in style! I nearly fell off my chair laughing at that!
    brmiller1976 likes this.
  10. crystal_planet's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,018 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,088 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by paladinleeds View Post
    There's bashing, and then there's bashing in style! I nearly fell off my chair laughing at that!
    *bows*

    In all seriousness, after looking at the link, HTC will definitely make my list. It's a pretty nice device.
  11. Judge_Daniel's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    719 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #11  
    My last two devices have been HTC on Verizon. The Imagio was a great phone, though I had to get quite a few replacements. I'm still on my first Trophy, but it almost has the exact same specifications as the much older Imagio. If HTC could line up durability and innovation, I would be the first one in line. However, I'm losing faith in them and will probably go with the 822 on Verizon (while begrudging all of you with 920s).
  12. scottcraft's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    2,401 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,535 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Judge_Daniel View Post
    My last two devices have been HTC on Verizon. The Imagio was a great phone, though I had to get quite a few replacements. I'm still on my first Trophy, but it almost has the exact same specifications as the much older Imagio. If HTC could line up durability and innovation, I would be the first one in line. However, I'm losing faith in them and will probably go with the 822 on Verizon (while begrudging all of you with 920s).
    After my Trophy I'm a bit reserved about HTC windows phones. I do have an HTC Rezound that's pretty solid. I'm not even the least bit interested in the 822 though. I want a high end phone, no ifs ands or buts.
  13. cedarlog's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    386 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by speedtouch View Post
    And not one of those HTC devices, nor any of the Nokia/Samsung devices, are tempting to me. I just want a successor to the Lumia 710!
    successor to 710 will come in early 2013 i think you have read the rumors about Lumia Zeal 4.3'' and Flame 4.0''
  14. brmiller1976's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,092 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,580 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #14  
    I don't want a Lumia! I want non-day-glo colors. I want thin and light. I want alloy frames and big, bright SLCD screens and organic shapes!
  15. speedtouch's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,043 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,150 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by torchxit View Post
    successor to 710 will come in early 2013 i think you have read the rumors about Lumia Zeal 4.3'' and Flame 4.0''
    I have read about those two. Sadly, their internals are dumbed down pretty badly. Low RAM, underclocked CPU, etc. Definitely not a successor to the Lumia 710, which had the same internals (RAM, CPU, graphics) as its bigger brothers.
  16. brmiller1976's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,092 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,580 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #16  
    Looks like I'm half-right and half-wrong about the HTC 8X. According to this link from HTCSource, the 8X "takes great pictures." (Yay!)

    But it has no Micro-SD. BOOOOOO

    Then again, if it's the high-end option on T-Mobile (with the 920 not going to T-Mo), it will probably be the best choice on the #4 carrier, regardless.

    Exclusive: new HTC One X+ and HTC Accord details revealed | HTC Source – All the HTC news you'll ever need
  17. crystal_planet's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,018 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,088 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #17  
    The last I heard, HTC was having some issues playing nicely with WP8 - is this the case? Have they been resolved yet? We need to have all the players ready to rock n roll come launch day.
  18. Honestabebread's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    506 Posts
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #18  
    Verizon's high end launch device is a HTC.
  19. alpinestars1z's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,457 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,094 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    Looks like I'm half-right and half-wrong about the HTC 8X. According to this link from HTCSource, the 8X "takes great pictures." (Yay!)

    But it has no Micro-SD. BOOOOOO

    Then again, if it's the high-end option on T-Mobile (with the 920 not going to T-Mo), it will probably be the best choice on the #4 carrier, regardless.

    Exclusive: new HTC One X+ and HTC Accord details revealed | HTC Source All the HTC news you'll ever need
    Well the One X doesn't have a microSD slot IIRC. Probably for the same reason the Lumia 920 doesn't either--they're made of one piece of polycarbonate. You can't open them to reveal a microSD slot, it'd either have to be built into the outside (with some kind of rubber/plastic cover that might be lost or eventually come off) or they'd have to make it like a SIM tray, but that implementation would probably take up a lot of space, and you'd need a SIM card eject tool every time you want to remove the microSD card.

    Quote Originally Posted by Honestabebread View Post
    Verizon's high end launch device is a HTC.
    So there's the Nokia, there's the HTC, is there a Samsung coming to VZ? I'm just curious, I don't have VZ haha.
  20. AngryNil's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,383 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,388 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    Looks like I'm half-right and half-wrong about the HTC 8X. According to this link from HTCSource, the 8X "takes great pictures." (Yay!)
    I'm rooting for HTC, but I'm not betting on "HTC Source" being an accurate source for that kind of information, just going by its namesake. HTC talked up its One series cameras a tonne too, but they fell short of the GS3 and iPhone 4S.
  21. Honestabebread's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    506 Posts
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #21  
    The general rumor round up for VZW is high end HTC, Nokia Lumia 822, and a lowish tier Samsung. The Ativ S is possible too.
    alpinestars1z likes this.
  22. scottcraft's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    2,401 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,535 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Honestabebread View Post
    The general rumor round up for VZW is high end HTC, Nokia Lumia 822, and a lowish tier Samsung. The Ativ S is possible too.
    I'm glad to hear Verizon is getting a high end WP8, but I'm pretty disappointed it's not going to be a Nokia 920. Hopefully HTC will wow us with their offerings.
  23. scottcraft's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    2,401 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,535 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #23  
    I've previously said I wouldn't get a Lumia 820, but I'm going to back off of that statement after watching some videos. There are some features from the 920 it doesn't have, but overall it's a pretty nice phone.
  24. crystal_planet's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,018 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,088 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by scottcraft View Post
    I've previously said I wouldn't get a Lumia 820, but I'm going to back off of that statement after watching some videos. There are some features from the 920 it doesn't have, but overall it's a pretty nice phone.
    I'm having a tough time getting past the whole no gorilla glass thing to give it a serious look.
  25. jabtano's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    613 Posts
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by crystal_planet View Post
    I'm having a tough time getting past the whole no gorilla glass thing to give it a serious look.
    That and screen res I just can't go with the 820 on T-MO
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

";