L820 thoughts

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Even though this is a good looking device with some great features, the screen resolution and the fact that is does not sport gorilla glass some what kills this device in what it could have been. Nokia could of had the flagship L920 and had this device sporting the same screen res on all other carriers that would of made this device so much more appealing and would have blown away everyone else. But now Nokia gives HTC and Samsung a wide door to fill on the high and middle range sector with better devices than then the L820. Just saying that is what Nokia should of done with this device.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I agree with you. The 820 is going to be the mass market device, and it's not exactly killer.

Then again, if they sell it for $299 "full price," it should do spectacularly well.

holzlondon

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm wondering about that as well. It may still be a bit pricey at first, but after a while I think it will come down.

And maybe that's exactly why they've left those options out. Let's say those 2 components make a materials price difference of €20, it may make a final price difference of €100 on the retail price SIM-free.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Only the techies will be looking at the screen res and saying stuff like this. The rest of the phone is top notch and will sell to people - dual cores, SD slot, removable backs with varied colours, replaceable battery, and also has a very good screen, sensitive and bright, all in an attractive design. And dont forget the Nokia value, exclusive software and those companion accessories. And if Nokia goes with past form this will be priced between $50-$99 on contract and on carriers like Tmo that will appeal to a lot of people, especially former 710 owners.

This phone will probably be the second best WP seller after the 920.

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Only the techies will be looking at the screen res and saying stuff like this. The rest of the phone is top notch and will sell to people - dual cores, SD slot, removable backs with varied colours, replaceable battery, and also has a very good screen, sensitive and bright, all in an attractive design. And dont forget the Nokia value, exclusive software and those companion accessories. And if Nokia goes with past form this will be priced between $50-$99 on contract and on carriers like Tmo that will appeal to a lot of people, especially former 710 owners.

This phone will probably be the second best WP seller after the 920.

You make a fine point but it could have been a whole lot better in the long rung middle range devices will need to have the same quality screen the more we use these devices day in and day out from everything we do.

Scout_313

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Seeing as how I don't watch movies or take many pictures with my phone, I don't necessarily need the highest resolution or the best camera. Give me the same overall performance as the 920 in a smaller package that will cost me less money (I'll be paying full retail), and it's not looking too bad to me. The 820 will definitely appeal to a large number of people.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Well the 820 is competing for the same space as the iPhone 4S will soon be. In that regard I think it will be a strong contender. The screen rez is a downer however, if its anything like the Lumia 900's screen I don't think anyone will notice much. I went from my iPhone 4 screen to the Lumia 900's and I really didn't feel much of an issue. Not like going from the iPhone 4 to an iPad anyways.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Without knowing about price, it's really hard for me to give an opinion. If it's cheap enough, it could be a great contender. It actually has some features that I wish the 920 had (removable SD and battery). users also have a choice to go with wireless charging, if it's something that matter to them. If not, they don't have to pay for a feature they won't use. That said, I expect the backplate to be upwards of $100 anyway.

independentvolume

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Without knowing about price, it's really hard for me to give an opinion. If it's cheap enough, it could be a great contender. It actually has some features that I wish the 920 had (removable SD and battery). users also have a choice to go with wireless charging, if it's something that matter to them. If not, they don't have to pay for a feature they won't use. That said, I expect the backplate to be upwards of $100 anyway.

Why? A wireless charging backplate for the galaxy s3 is only 30-40 bucks. No reason for it to be more than that.

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Well the 820 is competing for the same space as the iPhone 4S will soon be. In that regard I think it will be a strong contender. The screen rez is a downer however, if its anything like the Lumia 900's screen I don't think anyone will notice much. I went from my iPhone 4 screen to the Lumia 900's and I really didn't feel much of an issue. Not like going from the iPhone 4 to an iPad anyways.

I don't see the L820 being as good as the L900 in screen res quality. I'm also hopping that the L820 doesn't feel cheap to hold. I'm not so sure how WP8 is going to sell will it be cheaper devices that look cool or will it be stronger devices that just look good. We havn't seen what HTC will be doing yet so...

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
The 820 shouldn't need gorilla glass.

Nokia have recently announced ruggedised cases. So if you need gorilla glass, just buy a rugged case.

I'm seriously debating the 820 now. If I can get a rugged cyan wireless charging case, then I'll happily forgo the extra screen resolution of the 920.

gwydionjhr

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Just spit ballin' here, 'cause I'm a little surprised at a 4.3" screen with that resolution.

What if...

710 --> 820
800 --> 920
900 --> ???

Just sayin'. Odds are slim, but if they had one more superphone up their sleeves, that would just blow the frickin' doors off.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
The trouble is that with Nokia making the high-end device exclusive and the mid-range available to everyone, the device most will encounter is the 820. That means most people will mock Nokia for being behind the times (based on the 820's pedestrian specs) and choose something else.

Go full-line on all carriers, or go home. Bring your best to everyone, or don't even try.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
The trouble is that with Nokia making the high-end device exclusive and the mid-range available to everyone, the device most will encounter is the 820. That means most people will mock Nokia for being behind the times (based on the 820's pedestrian specs) and choose something else.

Go full-line on all carriers, or go home. Bring your best to everyone, or don't even try.

Agreed, but it's up to the carriers to decide what they will carry. Also, some carriers may choose to elect to become "exclusive carriers" for some lines, depending the clout they carry.

Hopefully, if a carrier can only sell the 820, they may be able to counter with a high end HTC or Samsung as an alternate.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Just spit ballin' here, 'cause I'm a little surprised at a 4.3" screen with that resolution.

What if...

710 --> 820
800 --> 920
900 --> ???

Just sayin'. Odds are slim, but if they had one more superphone up their sleeves, that would just blow the frickin' doors off.

Well I don't think they can have a different screen resolution because they've already used the highest one that Microsoft supports.

independentvolume

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
The 820 shouldn't need gorilla glass.

Nokia have recently announced ruggedised cases. So if you need gorilla glass, just buy a rugged case.

I'm seriously debating the 820 now. If I can get a rugged cyan wireless charging case, then I'll happily forgo the extra screen resolution of the 920.
You do know that the rugged shell covers everything but the damn screen. Honestly, how do you figure these will protect the screen in any way, shape, or form?

holzlondon

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hmmmm. The L900 has a 4.3 inch AMOLED ClearBlack screen with 480 x 800 pixels, right?

The L820 has a 4.3 inch AMOLED ClearBlack screen with 480 x 800 pixels.

Are Nokia simply recycling the old screen? Doing it without the Gorilla Glass, in order to keep costs, and therefore prices down?

This wouldn't surprise me.

Plus the 8GB internal memory is definitely enough for the everyday smartphone user to get started with. People can then add MicroSD cards to expand. But this keeps the cost of the internals down, and therefore the price of the device itself.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
The screen is a real shame, as the rest of the phone is perfectly competent. Same problem with all the 1366x768 Windows tablets and convertibles, they are going to be compared to the market leader and fall short.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon