Rumor: Nokia planning to sue to stop release of HTC devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

lesnjoro

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
What if Nokia actually decides to sue HTC on the design front

According to online gossip Nokia considers seeking ban for the upcoming HTC flagship ? Windows Phone 8X. The Finns accuse HTC of copying the Lumia 820 front panel design for its Windows Phone 8X.
Remembers Nokia's tweet after the HTC event "It takes more than matching color to match the innovation of the Lumia 920."

Nokia may file a lawsuit seeking a ban on HTC WP 8X - GSMArena.com news

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I have calmed down since reading the first post and the rumor. Since I have, I am with the majority: Ain't buying it. Microsoft doesn't want this, and they have "helped" Nokia to the tune of maybe tons of millions (rightfully so for the risk Nokia has taken on WP), and they will talk Nokia off the cliff. No sweat, no confirmation, no over reaction on my part.

But allow me to say: I will NOT buy a Nokia if this is true. Period. Similar in the cell phone world is not the same. Nokia has the right to defend their product, but this would be nuts. HTC has a right to stand out in the crowd as well, and without the ability to throw a UI on WP, physical looks is the main way to stand out.

If HTC had wireless charging and a touch sensitive device on TOP of the bright colors, then I would be okay. Fire away Nokia. But this would be over colors and a rectangle shape.

Relaxing... breathing in... only a rumor... not going to happen... breathing out....

Aykazu

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I really doubt this is true, Nokia has never been like Apple, traditionally Nokia has not been a patent bully allthough in some cases I wish they were just a little more aggresive...

ryeworth

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Innovation should be protected, especially if it's been many expensive years of design iteration and development; however, I'm not sure there would be any winners if Nokia did sue.

Gaichuke

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
If this story has even smallest grain of truth (which I seriously doubt), there would then have to be some additional yet unknown details involved. One example of such would be that Nokia would actually have evidence or clear proof from industrial espionage conducted by HTC.

I do understand if Nokia feels annoyed by HTC since they have been working very hard to establish Lumia as the definite, different WP brand and now HTC is jumping next to that brand with very similar approach.

But to be annoyed enough to feel threatened by that...? I don't think so.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
The phones are obviously heavily inspired by Lumia, just look at the way HTC designed phones before the lumia and look at their recent phones. Anyways to sue them would be silly i think. Would probably hurt Nokia and WP more than they would gain. Hopefully this is just a rumor

The 8X looks like a One X with colors.
The 8X looks like that Xperia phone.

Nokia didn't invented colors and the colors aren't even the same.

bobsentell

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
The very bottom of the story includes the following:
The news is based on the telephonic conversation we had with someone who works with a legal consultation and advisory firm.

In other words, the author had a conversation with his brother who works as a custodian in some law office. This article is nothing but conjecture and wishful thinking.

There's no news here.

Bearach

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
I think this is just a "news" piece to get hits.

However, you do have fanatical Nokia fans saying that HTC has directly copied Nokia. I don't see it. The devices don't look the same, there is a lot of differences, if you look past the colours. Even the colours are different shades, and on the other side you have the fanatical HTC fans trying to bring Nokia into a bad light as a possible "bad guy", I don't see it either. I am still considering either the 8X or Lumia 920, they're both great devices.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I call bull on this article. Strong colours and WP standards are all that's copied here. And as someone said, the colours are different, albeit SOME overlap. Are Nokia SERIOUSLY trying to say "If it isn't Nokia, it's only allowed to be Black/White". By that tone, should Apple sue EVERYBODY for having black/white phones. See what this is devolving into?

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I call bull on this article. Strong colours and WP standards are all that's copied here. And as someone said, the colours are different, albeit SOME overlap. Are Nokia SERIOUSLY trying to say "If it isn't Nokia, it's only allowed to be Black/White". By that tone, should Apple sue EVERYBODY for having black/white phones. See what this is devolving into?

No Nokia isn't seriously trying to say anything, because the story is BS.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Hard to blame them at some level. When you look at the Lumia 820 right next to the HTC 8X, they look almost identical. Only the colors are really different.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
It's not true... it's a fake article again... how is it a copy? I seriously hope that Nokia is smarter than that...

HTC could buy Nokia... Seriously Nokia is a small fish in the ocean...

Last edited:

borjeboy

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
This was discussed yesterday to. We don't know, Nokia should take action, we are expacting them to do so but we don't know if they are going to do it... Perhaps they choose not to, and just leave htc with a warning. But again we don't know if Nokia gonna let it pass

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Hard to blame them at some level. When you look at the Lumia 820 right next to the HTC 8X, they look almost identical. Only the colors are really different.
far from identical... only because the front of the phone is similar? come on the edges are not the same, the speaker is different, all I see is that they both have a screen and there is a front facing camera (ARRR damn HTC!)? Maybe they should have made it with small bumps on the screen?

How far can you stretch that copying claim?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte