Will the super sensitive touch screens be a problem?

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Everywhere I see people very excited about the super sensitive touch screen and they want it on every devices.

But I can't stop thinking about how much this could be a problem...

Exemples:
1. There is a soft rain outside, no problem for current phones as it don't react to it, but in this case it would be a nightmare to answer a text message.

2. You accidently press the button in you pocket, normally it shuts itself down after 30 seconds, but with that type of screen... it might stay on for a while and drain the battery.

While some of us don't care about such things, I do care, these are common situations.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Last edited:

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
1. There is a soft rain outside, no problem for current phones as it don't react to it, but in this case it would be a nightmare to answer a text message.
In general, capacitive touch screens aren't that great when wet anyway (as a person with sweaty hands). Does the technology seem to indicate that the screen will register rain drops as taps?

2. You accidently press the button in you pocket, normally it shuts itself don't afte 30 seconds, but with that type of screen... it might stay on for a while and drain the battery.
Already happens with my Omnia 7. I just have it with the screen facing away from my thigh, unless you're implying that Nokia and Synaptics didn't even bother to check if random rubbing of the screen against denim actuates the screen.

Last edited:

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Everywhere I see people very excited about the super sensitive touch screen and they want it on every devices.

But I can't stop thinking about how much this could be a problem...

Exemples:

2. You accidently press the button in you pocket, normally it shuts itself don't afte 30 seconds, but with that type of screen... it might stay on for a while and drain the battery.

While some of us don't care about such things, I do care, these are common situations.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Pretty sure Nokia always said the proximity sensor would prevent this from happening. If you just read the story on wmpoweruser today, you would see the same explanation in the comments as well.

lancguy

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I to worry about this also. One night I was out shoveling snow and apparently my butt called my sister-in-law. Since then I make it a point to lock my screen before doing something like that, especially when it's late at night.

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Don't people press the lock button by default when they are done with whatever they were doing?

Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express

jusdis

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
Don't people press the lock button by default when they are done with whatever they were doing?

Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express

Not only that, but does anybody actually even put there phone in their pockets?! Mine never even leaves my hands. Lol. If by chance it does I usually put it somewhere close beside me where I can see it at a glance :D

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Not only that, but does anybody actually even put there phone in their pockets?! Mine never even leaves my hands. Lol. If by chance it does I usually put it somewhere close beside me where I can see it at a glance :D

Mine goes into a dedicated pocket that never receives anything else. Not money, keys, anything. And as long as I have a phone that will be the case for me.

And to the OP, I don't believe either of these will become issues.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Saw the big article about this pop up in my RSS feeds.

Funny isn't it. For years everyone's moaned about the lack of sensitivity of touch screens. Someone creates a really sensitive one, and people now moan its too sensitive.

gwydionjhr

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I just can't get my head around JD Pocketware's angle on this. They're the ones that are trying to make this into an issue.

Apparently, they think they're smarter than all of Nokia's engineers and years of experience.

Just wait and see. You don't cry "Fire" before you even smell smoke.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I would love to see demonstrations of it in action, but this has already been talked about by Nokia. The proximity/light sensors will prevent it from being operated in a pocket... much like putting the phones up to your ear when on a call. Also, since it's a Synaptics sensor, I would bet it's got some type of "palm rejection" to limit the size of the object in use.

No demos on the matter, but I would suspect that water is not going to trigger it either. But seriously, who purposely stands in the rain and operates electronics? Seek shelter! I understand the premise being made, and I'm saying don't stand in the rain with a $500 gadget that won't be covered by water damage.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I remember, there was 1 time I mowed the lawn with my Pre in my pocket, screen toward my leg, and I was listening to music. Anyhow, I finish up the job and pull the phone out to turn the music off... There were 20+ apps open and the phone was choking. Apparently, the combination of sweaty shorts and walking around was enough to unlock the phone and register random screen taps... From then on, I've tried to have the screen facing out when in my pocket.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I would love to see demonstrations of it in action, but this has already been talked about by Nokia. The proximity/light sensors will prevent it from being operated in a pocket... much like putting the phones up to your ear when on a call. Also, since it's a Synaptics sensor, I would bet it's got some type of "palm rejection" to limit the size of the object in use.

No demos on the matter, but I would suspect that water is not going to trigger it either. But seriously, who purposely stands in the rain and operates electronics? Seek shelter! I understand the premise being made, and I'm saying don't stand in the rain with a $500 gadget that won't be covered by water damage.
If you accidentally press the lock button to unlock it, the proximity sensors wont help... and it's even worse if you accidentally press the camera button (which will hardly ever happen since you have to hold it) but yeah I would love to see a video to show that these wont be an issue.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I remember, there was 1 time I mowed the lawn with my Pre in my pocket, screen toward my leg, and I was listening to music. Anyhow, I finish up the job and pull the phone out to turn the music off... There were 20+ apps open and the phone was choking. Apparently, the combination of sweaty shorts and walking around was enough to unlock the phone and register random screen taps... From then on, I've tried to have the screen facing out when in my pocket.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
I never had that issue, usually the phone turns itself down after 30 seconds, but since the super sensitive touch reacts to almost everything...

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
You shouldn't have to worry about it unless Samsung makes a phone with a super sensitive screen. Unless you are just stirring things up for Nokia.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
You shouldn't have to worry about it unless Samsung makes a phone with a super sensitive screen. Unless you are just stirring things up for Nokia.
I'm not talking about brands... I'm talking about tech... I couldn't care less about who uses it, I want to know if it's good or does it generates issues that were not there before... I will buy the phone that is available in my country and Canada is not likely to get many WP devices...

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Just going by what you said in your own thread about who wins the battle for you. And comments you've made in other threads regarding your preference and what phones will be available.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786