Will you switch to AT&T for the 920?

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I really want the 920, but I'm not going to leave Verizon to get it. If Verizon didn't work as well for me maybe I would, but Verizon is rock solid where I'm at. I think the 8X is a fine device, but I'll be disappointed if the 920 doesn't come to Verizon. I really think that isn't a wise move by Nokia. As was said earlier HTC stands to sell a lot of phones that could be Nokia sales.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I really want the 920, but I'm not going to leave Verizon to get it. If Verizon didn't work as well for me maybe I would, but Verizon is rock solid where I'm at. I think the 8X is a fine device, but I'll be disappointed if the 920 doesn't come to Verizon. I really think that isn't a wise move by Nokia. As was said earlier HTC stands to sell a lot of phones that could be Nokia sales.

but does the red phone mean it's going to Verizon?

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
to make looks like a week exclusive at most. I'm sure AT&T will understand that they want Wp to be third so they will make the exclusive short. I think they will rather sacrifice their long exclusive for more sales and market share in the future. because if verizon gets the 920 a week later and advertise it then wp gets more market share and more market share means more sales. and if AT&T gets a flagship device in the future with wp market share high then they will have more sales on that device. It looks like this outcome

Where is your evidence to back up that claim. I seriously doubt it will be only a one week exclusive. I would think it would be at least a month, if not 6+ weeks. Believe it or not, even if the Lumia 920 flops, people will see the AT&T ads and it will keep AT&T in their minds.

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
No, but I'm pretty certain VZW will be getting the 920 or a variation of it.

I've said before, but my source at VZW had said in the past that AT&T will get a 30 day exclusive window with Nokia. VZW is likely to launch the 920 on Black Friday.

The HTC 8X will be the flagship phone for VZW in the first month alongside the ATIV S, the 8S, and possibly a variation of the 820.

But I'm pretty sure that both Nokia phones will be on VZW by December.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site

I've said before, but my source at VZW had said in the past that AT&T will get a 30 day exclusive window with Nokia. VZW is likely to launch the 920 on Black Friday.

The HTC 8X will be the flagship phone for VZW in the first month alongside the ATIV S, the 8S, and possibly a variation of the 820.

YES!!! that's right!!!!

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site

What does your source at VZW do? Not trying to troll, but your source being a sales rep vs. working at VZW headquarters vs. a VZW call center makes a big difference as to what info they would have access to.

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
What does your source at VZW do? Not trying to troll, but your source being a sales rep vs. working at VZW headquarters vs. a VZW call center makes a big difference as to what info they would have access to.

Corporate contracts. Negotiates contracts and deployment for larger Verizon customers like Clearchannel, etc. He knows where Verizon is going because he's kept in the loop to prepare his big customers.

They currently are working on a large program to get corporate purchasing and discounting (for BYOD stuff) moved over the WP8 next year. Verizon wants to get business off of iPhone and Android as both cost them a lot of extra money compared to what they believe WP8 will cost.

He nailed the Droid marketing from a few years ago and has said that VZW will do something even bigger for Windows Phone to end the year and begin next year.

He also told me about the LTE lineup last year, the reasons why the Bionic, for instance, took so long to hit and the issues behind the LTE chipset that had problems reseting. He has also said the VZW has been prepping for the WP8 launch for two years and I've seen the memos to back that up.

You can trust me or not, but my source at VZW has helped me a lot over the years (and gotten me plenty of free goodies).

Nokia wanted to reward AT&T for their support earlier this year when the other carriers wanted to just wait until WP8. AT&T was willing to carry the Lumia 900 even though they knew it would not be upgradeable. Getting the 920 first is a thank you to them. Those that "gotta have it" will jump to AT&T.

But expect a HUGE Black Friday Windows Phone push from Verizon with some crazy prices for those who want to go to a VZW store on that day, including early contract discounts and incentives to trade in iPhones and Android devices.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site

That's good to hear. Hopefully your source knows what (s)he is talking about. I'll probably wait until December, but if there's no 920 on Verizon at that point then I'm going HTC or Samsung.

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Just got info that Verizon will not likely get the 920 but a variation of it with a different number like the 820. I guess the frequencies between the two will be different. May be to prevent people from jumping between carriers with the phone - no idea.

Still hearing that Nokia will be a Black Friday launch for Verizon while HTC and Samsung will be early November. The 8S will be the value phone for the holidays. Might be $49 with a two year contract. The 8X and ATIV S will come in at $199 if the current plan holds ($249 for 32GB on the Samsung).

The current plan calls for the Nokia 822 to launch at $99 and the 92(2?) to launch at $249 due to the 32GB of storage.

BUT expect those prices to be lower for Black Friday possibly through to Cyber Monday online.

The HTC 8S may see its price halved to about $25 with a contract. The 822 may drop to $50. The 16GB 8X and ATIV S down to $149 and the 32GB 92(2?) and ATIV S down to $199.

Those within six months of a VZW contract expiration may be made able to upgrade to WP8 devices with the special pricing that weekend and there will be a sale on accessories for those phones as well (big money maker for VZW).

That's the info I have right now. My guess is AT&T will do something similar, but that's a guess. Regardless, it may be smart to wait until Thanksgiving here in the States to make a decision on what to do. That's what I'll do.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Wow MacPhisto, you are really delivering today! That's some juicy news there, thanks for the info!

I'll definitely be waiting until Thanksgiving.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
The question in my mind is... how many more people out there will "wait" for Windows Phone?

Think about the general market.

So far this year, people have heard "Wait for Mango!"

Then "wait for Lumia 900!"

Then "wait for Apollo!"

Now we hear "wait for the official announcement."

Then "wait for carrier availability."

Now, "wait for the phone you want on your carrier."

Every single wait involves a decision point, and there are plenty of large competitors in other ecosystems with compelling devices willing to sing a siren song to convert existing WP users... as well as snatch up all the non-WP users with money to spend today who cannot get the Windows Phone they want, on their terms.

Rule #1 of business is "make it easy for people to do business with you." Telling customers to "have patience, wait a little longer" violates that rule, especially when there are other companies saying "look at all the good stuff we have today! The water's warm, hop in!"

I know a lot of people who want a Lumia 920 on Verizon or T-Mo, and they're not willing to wait or switch to AT&T... instead, they're considering either the HTC option (in a minority of cases) or the Galaxy S III/Note II option (in a majority of cases). In either situation, Nokia loses out... which is why this coy strategy is so silly. They're likely missing out on hundreds of thousands or millions of sales that will take another 24-month contract cycle to get access to again.

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
NO. AT&T coverage sucks in southern Oregon, as it does in most places outside of major metro areas. Plus they're expensive.

Nokia is now dead to me. If they won't offer any Lumia models off AT&T, they won't get my business, period.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Perfect.

MacPhisto outlines a rollout strategy from Verizon -complete with dates and devices. And it sounds like a fairly reliable source to boot. I'm willing to give the benefit of a doubt here.

Now Miller comes in right on cue, and starts his usual whine about how there are no dates, no pricing - even though the exact thing you are whining about has been addressed.

Honest to God, someone could provide a notarized document stating which carrier will get which device on this date and you'd still complain. For God's sake just get an S3 and be done with it already. Clearly, no Windows device will ease your pain so go with something that will make you happy.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I can already imagine the Microsoft and Nokia conversations.

Balmer: So Nokia, what do you have for Windows Phone?

Elop: Well we improved the specs but kept the same design.

Balmer: That sounds enough for us, You will be the face of Windows Phone yet again, lets put this baby in all carriers.

Elop: Well actually, we will be on AT&T only.

Balmer:You are kidding right? Do you at least have a low end device for Tmobile like before?

Elop: Yeah we have a low end also.

Balmer: Good.

Elop: Is AT&T exclusive though.

Balmer: Well that's...great Nokia. Really great. I'll be going now.

*Later that day*

Balmer: Hey HTC! Here's a Billion dollars. Make a phone like the lumias and have it on all carriers, let's say by November kay?

HTC: $__$

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Corporate contracts. Negotiates contracts and deployment for larger Verizon customers like Clearchannel, etc. He knows where Verizon is going because he's kept in the loop to prepare his big customers.

They currently are working on a large program to get corporate purchasing and discounting (for BYOD stuff) moved over the WP8 next year. Verizon wants to get business off of iPhone and Android as both cost them a lot of extra money compared to what they believe WP8 will cost.

He nailed the Droid marketing from a few years ago and has said that VZW will do something even bigger for Windows Phone to end the year and begin next year.

He also told me about the LTE lineup last year, the reasons why the Bionic, for instance, took so long to hit and the issues behind the LTE chipset that had problems reseting. He has also said the VZW has been prepping for the WP8 launch for two years and I've seen the memos to back that up.

You can trust me or not, but my source at VZW has helped me a lot over the years (and gotten me plenty of free goodies).

Nokia wanted to reward AT&T for their support earlier this year when the other carriers wanted to just wait until WP8. AT&T was willing to carry the Lumia 900 even though they knew it would not be upgradeable. Getting the 920 first is a thank you to them. Those that "gotta have it" will jump to AT&T.

But expect a HUGE Black Friday Windows Phone push from Verizon with some crazy prices for those who want to go to a VZW store on that day, including early contract discounts and incentives to trade in iPhones and Android devices.

That is cool, and I do believe you. Thats why I asked. Had your answer been "Oh, its my cousin Bob down at their call center/retail store", their input would have had much less (i.e. none) value. However, someone who negotiates corperate contracts with a proven tip track record is a different story.

I think the different number makes sense. They may even tweak a few minor features, slap the name 922 on it, AT&T can still advert the 920 as "exclusivly on AT&T" yet Verizon gets in on the high end action as well.

What I really don't understand is T-Mo getting screwed on the low end device. They have really been a friend of Windows Phone, especially the Lumia 710, even pushing it as one of the best options for their Monthly 4G prepaid plans.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Perfect.

MacPhisto outlines a rollout strategy from Verizon -complete with dates and devices. And it sounds like a fairly reliable source to boot.

So rumors are now news? Wonderful!

Now Miller comes in right on cue, and starts his usual whine about how there are no dates, no pricing - even though the exact thing you are whining about has been addressed.

Yes. Sorta like how T-Mobile was getting the Lumia 910 in March of 2012. And how T-Mobile was getting the HTC OneX+ starting in late September.

Before that, HP was releasing the Pre II on AT&T and T-Mobile in 2010... and the Pre 3 on every major carrier in August of 2011.

All those release dates were met right on schedule (not).

Honest to God, someone could provide a notarized document stating which carrier will get which device on this date and you'd still complain. For God's sake just get an S3 and be done with it already. Clearly, no Windows device will ease your pain so go with something that will make you happy.

It's just this attitude that, if it continues institutionally, will ensure Windows Phone will fail. In a competitive market, most people who want actual dates, times, devices and easy availability will "shut the **** up and go elsewhere with their whining."

Then YOU will come in and whine with questions like:

1) Why isn't my bank making an app for Windows Phone?

2) Why the heck isn't my favorite web site rendering right on Windows Phone?

3) My carrier keeps steering people away from Windows Phone and to Android/iOS... why?

4) How come I cannot get a Windows Phone at my local carrier store and have to order it from their web site?

5) How come Gmail doesn't work with my phone after the latest update? Why isn't Google moving to fix it?

6) How come Facebook's latest feature update still isn't out for my phone, eight months after it was announced?

7) Where are all of you? Why aren't any of you posting anymore? Hello?

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte