Scratch off another hardware differentiator -- Nexus to offer wireless charging

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
the galaxy SIII already has it... just have to buy a different battery door.
The LG Revolution, released last year, also has wireless charging I believe - or at least an available accessory.

The thing is, this is the first time I have really heard of wireless charging, so maybe it's the first real marketing push for the tech?

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
This is GOOD NEWS.

The more phones that use it, the more peripherals we'll see and the more likely we'll see charging stations at restaurants and coffee shops.

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
The LG Revolution, released last year, also has wireless charging I believe - or at least an available accessory.

The thing is, this is the first time I have really heard of wireless charging, so maybe it's the first real marketing push for the tech?

Samsung pushed all of it at their unpacked event. They really messed up though because a lot of people would have bought all that stupid stuff if they got them out on time. I was pretty sold on the allshare dongle and the wireless charging kit but they are still not out in Canada. Now instead of buying that stupid stuff, I am getting a Lumia 920. lol

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Too bad nobody buys LG. :) The more Wireless charging out there, the better, but lets face it.. you won't see a ton of wireless charging stations pop up until it comes in an iPhone.

kg4icg

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I guess some of the people that came from the Palm Pre forgot that it had wireless charging and it came out in June of 2009.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Wireless charging is nothing new, like NFC is had being out for a while, the problem is that it was on failure of devices.

I don't care much about wireless charging, since you can't use your phone and charge at the same time. I rather have Waterproof being the standard.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if the wireless charging being shown is all the same standard though. If they're proprietary, then it won't make things very useful in public for those who seek out a Samsung charger in a cafe filled with LG or Nokia ones.

diaspar

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
wireless charging is not a big deal anyway. I used tuochstone with my touchpad before. They are all Qi standard wireless charging. Nothing special here.

johnmcd348

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Wasn't there an inductive charging system that came out about 3-5 years ago that was supposed to be able to work with a large array of different devices, as long as you got the newer battery for it. My son has a charging pad for his Nintendo Wii made by Energizer that we've had for at least 2 years. It's far from new technology.

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
It may not be new technology but it's more about timing than anything else. Maybe this is the time for wireless charging. Remember that when the first iphone came out it didn't use any new technology. It was the right company with the right product at the right time. Same thing with the ipad. Tablets had been tried but they never took off....untill apple tried it.

Maybe TKO93 is right, it may not take off until it's on the iphone.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Maybe TKO93 is right, it may not take off until it's on the iphone.

To be fair Samsung sell nearly as many galaxy s3s, as apple do iPhone, so the minute they make wireless standard, it'll become a must have.

I've already got 2 wireless chargers ready for my future nokia, might get a 3rd for the car.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon