Design your own smartphone, like your computer

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Regulation? We don't need no stinking Regulation!

But, seriously good point. Isn't the FCC just for the radio? In this case the radio will be pretty standard and will only have to be checked the first time. Any hardware changes will not be fore the radio, so it probably wouldnt be an issue...

Yeah, that is what I was wondering. It seems like pretty much every phone goes through the FCC though, and I doubt they all use unique radios. It might be a combination of radio and body or anything else that might affect the radio? Who knows

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
We do not really even have DIY laptops. There are a few out there where you can add a CPU and ram and HDD, but thats it. You are not putting in your own NIC, Sound Chip, Screen, WIFI card, or anything else that people may want a specific version of like is possible with desktop DIY.

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
NEW RULE: When designing your own phone, you are not allowed to use components not already in use today by other smartphones:) All features must be verifiable else, I expect someone will say Sandy/Ivy Bridge and Bulldozers.

NO FAIR!!! All I want is a cover that's also a keyboard like the surface tablet.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Not sure how that would work. Surface is big and needs to be set on a table to use the keyboard. How would that work with a phone? Not many people use their phone while its sitting on their desk in a cradle. Well not for more than basically skipping songs.

Rather see an actual working laser kb.

jpal12

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Faster Lumia 810

I would make a lumia 810, but with
-1280x768
-PureView
-White color
-Quad-Core CPU
-2GB RAM
-16GB memory

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Not sure how that would work. Surface is big and needs to be set on a table to use the keyboard. How would that work with a phone? Not many people use their phone while its sitting on their desk in a cradle. Well not for more than basically skipping songs.

Rather see an actual working laser kb.

How about a BT keyboard thats doubles as a cover and fastens magnetly? We used to have flip phones that were horizontal. I'd like to see something like that, just detachable.

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I have gone back and forth on physical keyboards. I really hated to see them go and wanted them back, but I think I have gotten faster typing on a virtual keyboard than I ever would having to physically press down on a key. My intent was to include a slideout keyboard in my wish design, but with the trend of making phones as thin as possible, I dont think they are comming back.

However, a bluetooth cover keyboard that can support the phone when it is opened is a really idea. I would get that accessory. It seems every 3-4 months something new is announced or on the market. I had to update my dream phone..

5.0 inch screen (HTC DNA) -some like smaller, I like media on large screens
1920x1080 SLCD 3 RGB (HTC DNA)
Synaptic touch (Nokia 920)
60hz refresh (Nokia 920)
MicroSDXC slot (Nokia 820)
32GB Storage (Nokia 920)
NFC,Bluetooth,Wifi,(normal sensors,GPS) (ALL)
2GB DDR2 RAM (LG Optimus G)
41MP Pureview Rear(f2.0, BSI, 26mm) (Nokia 808)
2.0MP wide angle front (HTC 8X)
2300mah Replaceable Battery (Samsung ATIV S)
Built in Qi Charging (Nokia 920)
Windows Phone 8 Apollo+ (Microsoft)
Qualcoms 800 Quad Core (Announced)
Beats Audio (HTC 8X)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte