Does the HTC 8X have a higher output "voltage" 3.5mm jack than a laptop?

aventador779

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
I remember listening to music a lot through my smartphone with my headphones, and then I read online how laptops have a much higher output "voltage". I tried it and I got MUCH better sound. Crisper, clearer, etc. now I use my laptop always for music.

Now the question is, does the output on the 8X have a higher voltage than an "average" laptop?

***Take the Beats equalizer and all Beats software out of this. I'm talking only about the hardware.

Last edited:

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Huh? my Laptop sounds like someone is throwing hot garbage into my ears. My Ipod is the best sounding device between my laptop,phone and mp3 player.

Gaichuke

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Beats audio means the following hardware-wise:

1. Redesigned headphone jack ? reduces ground noise

This means that the jack components are made from plastic instead of metal so that the possible ground noise is minimized. This is the right way to do the headphone jack anyway, so I don't think you'll find any phone out there except some cheap Chinese Android that might have this oversight.

2. Discrete headphone amp ? more powerful with better stereo separation

This means just that there's a separate amplifier circuit for the headphones that will increase the output signal level that comes from the audio circuit. The output level of that should be about as much as with your laptop, since most laptops usually have also headphone amplifiers built in. It should not affect the quality of the sound, but if you have a low sensitivity headphones you might hear more and that way perceive the audio as of better quality.

There's also a ground cable in between the stereo cables from the jack to the amplifier circuit and better insulation of the cables themselves, so that there is less possible interference. It should be noted that if you use crappy cheap headphones that don't have any similar considerations in their build quality, you won't get the advantages this kind of build allows.

3. Dedicated audio island ? isolates audio components on the circuit board

The dedicated audio island is exactly what they say it is ? simply isolating audio components found on the circuit board so that there's no interference from other components. As it should be done, Beats Audio or not.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Beats audio means the following hardware-wise:

1. Redesigned headphone jack ? reduces ground noise

This means that the jack components are made from plastic instead of metal so that the possible ground noise is minimized. This is the right way to do the headphone jack anyway, so I don't think you'll find any phone out there except some cheap Chinese Android that might have this oversight.

2. Discrete headphone amp ? more powerful with better stereo separation

This means just that there's a separate amplifier circuit for the headphones that will increase the output signal level that comes from the audio circuit. The output level of that should be about as much as with your laptop, since most laptops usually have also headphone amplifiers built in. It should not affect the quality of the sound, but if you have a low sensitivity headphones you might hear more and that way perceive the audio as of better quality.

There's also a ground cable in between the stereo cables from the jack to the amplifier circuit and better insulation of the cables themselves, so that there is less possible interference. It should be noted that if you use crappy cheap headphones that don't have any similar considerations in their build quality, you won't get the advantages this kind of build allows.

3. Dedicated audio island ? isolates audio components on the circuit board

The dedicated audio island is exactly what they say it is ? simply isolating audio components found on the circuit board so that there's no interference from other components. As it should be done, Beats Audio or not.

Thanks Dr. Dre.

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
The 8X has hardware and software enhancements, the 8S only has software enhancements.

When I had a Rezound for my work phone, the music quality that came out of that headphone jack was UNBELIEVABLE. So stoked that my 8X will have it"!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism