Premium Samsung good enough for Verizon users?

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
As much as a 920 would have been the bomb, and the 8X is a looking to be a good device, is the just announced ATIV Odyssey that will be exclusive to Verizon worth holding out until December to see how good or bad it turns out? While I am happy for Big Red customers who deserve some great choices, I am actually a little disappointed that AT&T has nothing on Samsung bringing their ATIV to their carrier. As a Focus S user, I was pumped to have the choice VS. the 920. For me, this may be a worthwhile device that has the whole package.

Is anyone besides me disappointed? Is anyone on Verizon excited?

BooMaLiCiOuS

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I will need more details before I get too excited. Have not been a fan of Samsung phones but if the product looks to be a better option than the 8x, then I may take a further look.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2

Ian Drake

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm on AT&T and really want the 920, but I'm tired of having fancy bricks, which is essentially what every AT&T phone is if you live in N.E.

So, I'm looking to switch to Verizon and yes, I'm hoping the Odyssey is comparable to the 920. Musts are: LTE, HD resolution, and a good camera. Wants are: Wireless charging, NFC, MicroSD (in that order)

BooMaLiCiOuS

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
With all the hoopla about storage space an the 8X I can imagine microSD will be higher on most peoples list.

Lucky me that I have access to wifi at home an work to stream from cloud services when I want to.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2

db4williams

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately we do not know if this Samsung Odyssey is a high end device or an entry level unit. So, if we are that curious we are going to have to wait for more info before passing judgement being happy about it.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately we do not know if this Samsung Odyssey is a high end device or an entry level unit. So, if we are that curious we are going to have to wait for more info before passing judgement being happy about it.
ugh.... An entry level WP as a Verizon exclusive? Geez, that would be a complete, dismal disappointment.

But, considering that "Odyssey" was the working name of the ATIV before they rebranded it, I see no reason Sammy wouldn't release their top end device on Verizon and try to capitalize on the push Big Red is rumored to be preparing.

Last edited:

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
If the ATIV launched the same time as the 8X, I was all in for the ATIV for a few reasons.
Battery: 2300 mAh v 1800
Screen: 4.8" v 4.3"
Storage: 32 GB v 16GB
Removable Stroage: Yes v. No
Removable Battery: Yes v. No

I'm a mobile engineer at work so I have the luxary of switching devices a little more often then normal. I'll start off with the 8X and maybe send it back in 30 days if the Sammy looks promising. I still wish HTC made a high end phone that had the 8S style.. I still think that is the best looking phone......

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
If the ATIV launched the same time as the 8X, I was all in for the ATIV for a few reasons.
Battery: 2300 mAh v 1800
Screen: 4.8" v 4.3"
Storage: 32 GB v 16GB
Removable Stroage: Yes v. No
Removable Battery: Yes v. No

I'm a mobile engineer at work so I have the luxary of switching devices a little more often then normal. I'll start off with the 8X and maybe send it back in 30 days if the Sammy looks promising. I still wish HTC made a high end phone that had the 8S style.. I still think that is the best looking phone......
Actually, I agree on the 8S. It is such a stylish device.
So far, only T-Mobile has it? Am I right on that?

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Actually, I agree on the 8S. It is such a stylish device.
So far, only T-Mobile has it? Am I right on that?

Have heard that Verizon will be getting it, but not immediately. Probably December at the earliest, maybe later.

Haven't heard anything on the Samsung. Either it was a last second thing or VZW kept really quiet about it internally. If they kept it quiet, I doubt it is a low end device. I know they were looking at the Huawei device as their cheap one, but that's delayed due to issues between Huawei and the US Government.

Honestabread has said he has heard the Samsung is their go-to prepaid phone, so it'd likely be cheap if that's the case.

But the points about the Odyssey name are true too. I have heard that VZW will be getting the ATIV S as well down the line, or at least they were supposed to about a month ago.

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Have heard that Verizon will be getting it, but not immediately. Probably December at the earliest, maybe later.

Haven't heard anything on the Samsung. Either it was a last second thing or VZW kept really quiet about it internally. If they kept it quiet, I doubt it is a low end device. I know they were looking at the Huawei device as their cheap one, but that's delayed due to issues between Huawei and the US Government.

Honestabread has said he has heard the Samsung is their go-to prepaid phone, so it'd likely be cheap if that's the case.

But the points about the Odyssey name are true too. I have heard that VZW will be getting the ATIV S as well down the line, or at least they were supposed to about a month ago.
It appears the go-to prepaid phone is going to be the Samsung Stellar here in a couple months.

I know for sure the 8S is coming to Verizon but there is no date or even a time frame. I totally agree that the 8S is the sexiest looking WP8 and a high end 4.7" variant with 8S styling would be jizztastic.

I think the Odyssey will be either a 4.65" version of the Ativ S or a 5.5" version. That's my gut feeling but Samsungs are so poor for reception that I don't pay them much mind.

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
It appears the go-to prepaid phone is going to be the Samsung Stellar here in a couple months.

I know for sure the 8S is coming to Verizon but there is no date or even a time frame. I totally agree that the 8S is the sexiest looking WP8 and a high end 4.7" variant with 8S styling would be jizztastic.

I think the Odyssey will be either a 4.65" version of the Ativ S or a 5.5" version. That's my gut feeling but Samsungs are so poor for reception that I don't pay them much mind.

I was just told that the ATIV Odyssey is a special version of the ATIV S for Verizon. No details, but it's high end.

Also told that Verizon never liked the name of the ATIV S because of possible confusion with the 8S. I wonder if other carriers will end up calling it something else so people don't get confused.

I agree on the 8S too. I think its a far more appealing low end model than the 822 as is. A lot of people who don't care about a phone being too high end will settle on the 8S and be very happy with it. Frankly, I think it appears to be the best entry smartphone that's going to be out there in the near future.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Damnit... 8x for 29 days then return for Odyssey....

I really appreciate you guys giving out the info. We have a large corp account with Verizon and we used to get the scoop on this stuff all the time but it seems they are clamping down lately and I'm flying blind.. First world problems, I know.

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
If Samsung would come out with something good looking, well built, and with a 4.3" or smaller screen, I might consider them. Until then, no thanks.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
If Samsung would come out with something good looking, well built, and with a 4.3" or smaller screen, I might consider them. Until then, no thanks.
Probably not below 4.3". Truly, anyone wanting a smaller screen is probably feeling a little unloved. I think the 8S (4.0") is the only one not in the large screen mode, and it is easily the lowest end WP8.

db4williams

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site

+1 on jizztastic... lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb