Paul Thurrot: "There is the HTC Windows Phone 8X, and then there is everything else."

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
This goes both ways. I've never been on a forum where everything gets trolled so hard. 920 thread, troll it. 8x thread, better troll it. Ativ S thread, better troll it.

The biggest most notorious trolls on the forum are two HTC guys and one Samsung guy. So I'd say an inferiority complex is responsible. People think of WP8 they think of Lumias. Only natural to want to over compensate. I'm loyal to none of them. I am loyal to Microsoft I'll ditch any of them is a surface phone comes out.

Smg-Uk

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
This caught my attention as 16GB and lack of gyroscope is far from leading edge.

But class leading Screen and a camera that top's the IP5 & Lumia 920 in certain situations along with the best audio out of the current wp8 devices and best FFC is not leading edge?

The biggest most notorious trolls on the forum are two HTC guys and one Samsung guy. So I'd say an inferiority complex is responsible

Nonsense if you say anything bad about the Lumia 920 (no matter if its fact) then prepare to get jumped on by a pack of bloodthirsty Nokia Fans.

I don't remember WP7 having all these rather pathetic ****** wars but maybe now that WP has got more interest this is what we have to put up with hmmm

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
The biggest most notorious trolls on the forum are two HTC guys and one Samsung guy. So I'd say an inferiority complex is responsible. People think of WP8 they think of Lumias. Only natural to want to over compensate. I'm loyal to none of them. I am loyal to Microsoft I'll ditch any of them is a surface phone comes out.

I have seen just as many Lumia guys dismiss any of the advantages the 8X has as being worthless, minimizing any disadvantage the 920 has, and swearing by the 920's camera before there are any solid reviews. Its just not viewed as trolling because most people on here are Lumia fans and don't view opinions that agree with their own as trolling. I am not loyal to any phone brand (though I'm not fond of Samsung). I'm personally torn between the 8X and the 920 and think they are much closer matched than a lot of Lumia guys want to think.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Lately Paul has been sounding like he's losing it.
To be fair to Paul Thurrot this is listed under the "What I use" posts he does which talks about what he is using at the current moment such as his Ultrabook or tablet etc. it is not meant to be taken as an actual product review it basically is a way for him to explain what device he has chosen to use and why he is using it. I think people saying its a lousy review aren't quite grasping what the concept of this particular column is supposed to be and it shouldn't be called a review even and I think Paul would admit this himself.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm not trying to "overcompensate" for the 8X. I *am* trying to get people excited about a review that puts a WINDOWS PHONE on the top of the heap. If you don't get why that's important for WP, well, I cannot help you.

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
To be fair to Paul Thurrot this is listed under the "What I use" posts he does which talks about what he is using at the current moment such as his Ultrabook or tablet etc. it is not meant to be taken as an actual product review it basically is a way for him to explain what device he has chosen to use and why he is using it. I think people saying its a lousy review aren't quite grasping what the concept of this particular column is supposed to be and it shouldn't be called a review even and I think Paul would admit this himself.

You're spot on. It's an Op-Ed piece, not a review. And really, the guy loves the phone, great. A high visibility journalist pimping WP8.

That's a good thing btw regardless of the phone he likes. The platform just got a pretty shot in the arm from him, so we should be psyched about that.

I apologize for injecting logic/reason into the proceedings, I now return you to your "LUMIA TASTES GREAT!! HTC 8X IS LESS FILLING!!" conversation.....

fierywater

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
is t mobile getting all the colors i really want the 920 but im with tmo for 2 years so i going to get the 8x in red.

Black and red are exclusive to Verizon in the U.S.; I know T-Mobile is getting blue but I don't know if they're getting green.

Edit: independentvolume beat me to it, whoops.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
You're spot on. It's an Op-Ed piece, not a review. And really, the guy loves the phone, great. A high visibility journalist pimping WP8.

That's a good thing btw regardless of the phone he likes. The platform just got a pretty shot in the arm from him, so we should be psyched about that.

I apologize for injecting logic/reason into the proceedings, I now return you to your "LUMIA TASTES GREAT!! HTC 8X IS LESS FILLING!!" conversation.....
Nearly word for word where I was going, although I do wish I thought of the "Taste great, less filling" line.

By the way ... congrats on those Giants. What a way to get HOT at the right time. As a Cardinal fan, that was tough to type.

Who really cares what WP 8 device he is loyal to? It isn't an iPhone or an Android, and where else is WP 8 getting that kind of love besides here and with Mr. Thurott??

HTC needs the good sales almost as bad as Nokia does. Hope both companies sell 10's of millions of WP 8's and we are still arguing about who has the better WP 9's in a couple of years.

Narr

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
But class leading Screen and a camera that top's the IP5 & Lumia 920 in certain situations along with the best audio out of the current wp8 devices and best FFC is not leading edge?

They may have the best audio (certainly my Titan is far from perfect in the audio department) but only 16GB of storage space; it's a strange decision and certainly does not contribute to a feeling of leading edge.
FFC is something I can't get excited about, I only ever use it for Skype not for getting 4 of my mates into a photo when I'm out drinking.
I'm going to take some persuasion that HTC have upped their game since the Titan and Mozart.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte