Paul Thurrot: "There is the HTC Windows Phone 8X, and then there is everything else."

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Brother, brothers (and sisters) we need to cut the Nokia/HTC fanboyism (sp?). Brmiller1976 mentioned it twice and I'm going to repeat it. Paul is a major figure whether you agree with him or not and he said that a WINDOW PHONE is the best smart phone in his opinion. I see this a a major win for our platform. After just reading the 920 review in Boy Genius which pretty much said the Lumia fell short because it weighted too much it's refreshing to see an opinion that is so positive. Nokia, HTC or Samsung, it doesn't matter. Positive exposure for ANY phone is a win for the platform. :excl:

To be fair Paul Thurrott covers Microsoft on a whole and he was advocating the Windows Phone way back when it first came out. So its not that big of a deal to be honest. I do usually like what he says and what not but lets be blunt what he likes doesn't really matter on a whole. He started out with a Samsung Prototype device when Windows phone 7 came out.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
So, the Lumia 900 is fantastic. Best of breed. Beauty and powerful. And Windows Phone is fantastic. What’s the problem?

The problem is that there’s no apparent place for Windows Phone in the market, no matter how good the device.

That doesn't sound the same as "There is the HTC Windows Phone 8X, and then there is everything else" to me.

adriel623

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Besides his platform reviews and news digs I don't really care which device he thinks is best. The Lumia 920 has been my choice since day 1. I think the Lumia looks better, the camera is better, the screen and screen tech are better, the integrated apps and exclusive apps are better so therefore regardless of the weight, the Lumia 920 is better.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
That's fine. So far, nobody has argued that the 920 is "the" phone, however. Nobody has argued that any Windows Phone is "the" phone up to Paul's article on the 8X. Typically, the only phone labelled as "the" phone is made by a company in Cupertino, CA.

adriel623

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Plus, they haven't gone "all in" with WP, either. They actually sell more Symbian and S40 handsets than Windows Phones. The proportion of total WP sales to overall smartphone sales for Nokia in 2012 will be lower than HTC's.

Symbian is their own product. It would've been a different story if they has went with Android. So I do consider them to have gone the full hog.

Smg-Uk

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Besides his platform reviews and news digs I don't really care which device he thinks is best. The Lumia 920 has been my choice since day 1. I think the Lumia looks better, the camera is better, the screen and screen tech are better, the integrated apps and exclusive apps are better so therefore regardless of the weight, the Lumia 920 is better.

Everything that's "Better" is open for debate the camera and screen ain't better all round.

I hate the way Nokia have taken the Apple approach as in giving things cheesy marketing bs names like "puremotion" & "pureview" at least HTC doesn't come up with all the cr*p.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Symbian is their own product. It would've been a different story if they has went with Android. So I do consider them to have gone the full hog.

Symbian, like Android, is an open-source OS that is used by multiple OEMs. Sony Ericsson was another major producer of Symbian handsets.

BBMINI

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
"From a tech specs perspective, the HTC 8X is fairly leading edge for a Windows Phone." This caught my attention as 16GB and lack of gyroscope is far from leading edge.

Just to clarify, does the 8X actually lack a gyroscope? Engadget, AllAboutWindowsPhone and other sources seem to think it has one, but other sites (and comment posts) seem to say otherwise.

From Engadget review Engadget "Finally, you'll find the usual collection of sensors on board: proximity, ambient light, compass, accelerometer and gyroscope."

From AAWP review Windows Phone 8X by HTC unveiled in New York listing "Key Hardware Features": "GPS, Compass (magnetometer), accelerometer, gyroscope, proximity and ambient light sensors"

keizka

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Just to clarify, does the 8X actually lack a gyroscope? Engadget, AllAboutWindowsPhone and other sources seem to think it has one, but other sites (and comment posts) seem to say otherwise.

From Engadget review Engadget "Finally, you'll find the usual collection of sensors on board: proximity, ambient light, compass, accelerometer and gyroscope."

From AAWP review Windows Phone 8X by HTC unveiled in New York listing "Key Hardware Features": "GPS, Compass (magnetometer), accelerometer, gyroscope, proximity and ambient light sensors"
http://forums.windowscentral.com/1736385-post9.htm

According to that one poster, there's no Gyro. Then again, I don't know whether the apps he used are updated to work with WP8?

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
I don't see any fails or even outright bad phones hitting at launch. We have some lower end phones, a necessity to expand the smartphone market.

The 8S and 810/820/822 are those entry or near entry level phones. Lower MP cameras, lower internal storage to keep costs down, and micro SD expansion. The 8S benefits from the Beats software and is heralded by many as the best looking of all the phones, a perspective I tend to agree with even though I won't get that phone. It has the lower resolution display, but a good enough res that non-techheads will be fine. The Lumia 800s are similar with the ability to run the Nokia apps. Nokia's advantage on the lower end is their apps. HTC's 8S has Gorilla Glass, so it appears to be a bit more durable.

Then there's the high end and WP8 has something for everyone. You want Drive+, City Lens, Pureview with OIS, and 32GB built-in storage, and the highest resolution possible in WP8? The 920 is the only phone for you then and, right now, AT&T is the only carrier for you. It's going to be a great phone and I have no doubt that those who pick it will love it.

Then we've got the HTC 8X. Extra amps, a little bit lighter, good camera (probably just a notch below the 920 in low light, but appears on par with iPhone 5 - and of course does not have OIS). Have heard it sounds about as good as a phone can when playing music out of the phone speaker. Great 720p display and a dedicated photo processor that appears to make it the fastest snapper. Does not have the Nokia apps, but does have Nokia Maps - a huge plus for all of WP8. Stunning phone. Frankly, the 920 and the 8X will cause a lot of phone envy from other users based on their looks. Both phones are stunning. WP8 has the two best looking phones on the market.

Then there's the Samsung. Biggest display size, ultra thin, removable battery, 32GB on board storage and the only premium WP8 device that is able to also use micro SD expansion. If you want a high end phone with a good camera and the ability to store a ton of data/pictures/music locally then this is your phone.

We can debate which is better, but I think its a matter of what each person wants. These phones shows us why Windows Phone 8 is the superior platform, not just because of the OS itself, but by the selection.

With iPhone, you get what Apple wants you to get. With Android, you have tons of variety but there will be a learning curve if you go from manufacturer to manufacturer because there can be a lot of variety in buttons, widgets, skins, etc. You can't pick up someone else's Android and instantly navigate the phone necessarily. You can do that with iPhone, but there's no variety with the phone.

Windows Phone finds the happy medium. If you end up with an 8X but have a friend with a 920, you will be able to work the 920 without any effort if you pick it up. It will have a two stage camera button, just like your phones. You'll know all the functions of the back, start, and search buttons. You'll know what tapping the power button does. You'll know what's in the settings tile. Yet both phones will also look the same and different because the live tiles will tell a lot about who you are. And so will the phone. Different shapes, different colors.

Android can get different colors too, but it's not going to replicate the WP8 experience. Will the Android phone have a physical camera button or not? You know the iPhone won't (hate that - the two stage button is genius).

So let's celebrate diversity. There are hardly any reasons for someone not to get a WP8 over iPhone or Android outside of "but it doesn't have THAT app!". We're getting phones that cover the spectrum and it is only just beginning. It's going to get even better from here. And WP8 can rock iOS and Android quad cores with just dual cores. Wait until the quads come. We've got the best kernel of them all, the best security, the most stability, and the best looking phones. No need to quarrel between different phone fans.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Everything that's "Better" is open for debate the camera and screen ain't better all round.

I hate the way Nokia have taken the Apple approach as in giving things cheesy marketing bs names like "puremotion" & "pureview" at least HTC doesn't come up with all the cr*p.

You're right. Beats audio isn't marketing bs at all.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Mind-numbingly silly pedantry and non-arguments from Brmiller in this thread, my gosh. Stop trying to make points where there clearly are none - Nokia not all-in, Thurrott somehow not being a believer until now.

Rubbish. Nokia's roadmap is Windows Phone. Samsung's and HTC's aren't. Paul has used Windows Phone for ages. If he didn't think it was the best, why would he use it and why would he compliment the 900 in such a manner? And no, don't say it's because he's a Microsoftie. He likes the iPad and Kindle and has used / uses them extensively.

Smg-Uk

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Rubbish. Nokia's roadmap is Windows Phone. Samsung's and HTC's aren't.

Nokia is only going all in with Windows Phone because they need a lifeline or they are going down for good.

To say HTC at least are not is stupid for example where was Nokia when WP first got released ? HTC was their at the beginning and the new HTC WP8 devices are not rehashes of their android devices but rather brand new designs.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
You're right. Beats audio isn't marketing bs at all.

Ever person who says this cracks me up. Ever listen to a Beats device versus a generic one? It sounds better.

Better sounding, louder music isn't a gimmick if you listen to music.

I take maybe three photos a week. I listen to hours of music every day.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99