Lumia 900 Buyers upgrading to 920 with discounted price

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
This is not really an official rumor more what i saw on the verge forums.

Apparently somebody who purchased a 900 when it launched was able to upgrade to a 920 by going through customer service for ATT. The ponit he made was he explained his situation about buying the 900 and probably threw in he didnt know it was not upgradable to wp8 and all that and they allowed him an upgrade, but didnt give him the free charge pad.

Somebody else replied and said he was able to do the same thing. So it doesn't hurt to give it a try if you were one that got a launch 900. Worth a shot and call them to preorder instead.

link

PSA for those of us who bought the the Lumia 900 on launch. | The Verge Forums

Here is a tip, if you are going to try this, dont be a complete douche and act all entitled, they are doing you a favor, if you they say no, call back and get another rep.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I was going to all and ask about that because they are letting me upgrade to an iPhone 5 for dirt cheap but not any other smart phone. You would think it would be the opposite.

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I think it's unethical to pretend you didn't know your L900 wouldn't update to WP8. At least have the decency to pay the full phone price.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
I am not one of those people in this situation.

With that said, i think it is unethical for ATT to to throttle people with unlimited data at a certain point although these users have been on unlimited data for years and years.

I believe it is unethical for ATT to throttle the unlimited data plan at 2gb when their 3gb plan was equivalent in cost without prior notice and notified only after the fact. Thankfully after months of spewing logic to them, they switched it to 3gb throttle.

I think it is unethical to discontinue plan and force people off plans they have been on and have options that are more expensive.

I think it is unethical for ATT to provide these data plans and not let the users use the data how they want it (tethering).

I think is unethical for ATT to provide a data plan and force those to higher data plans to use facetime.

I think it is unethical for ATT reps to give bad advice to customers just to sell a phone.

I think allowing those that upgraded to 900 which is not a lot of people is fair.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I think it's unethical to pretend you didn't know your L900 wouldn't update to WP8. At least have the decency to pay the full phone price.

The OP was talking a launch 900. That was before Microsoft make it official that those devices would not be upgradeable, wasn't it?

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site

The OP was talking a launch 900. That was before Microsoft make it official that those devices would not be upgradeable, wasn't it?

Ya, the 900 launched in April and MS announced Windows Phone 7 devices wouldn't be upgradeable in June, so that leaves 2 months when people could buy the phone and legitamately not know it was non-upgradable. I was one of those. I believed that 7.5 would be upgradable because there was no technilogical reason it wouldn't be (you can flash a new kernel on a phone, I've done it lots). I understand why they aren't upgrading, but I would still like Windows Phone 8, so I will call in and try this.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Ya, the 900 launched in April and MS announced Windows Phone 7 devices wouldn't be upgradeable in June, so that leaves 2 months when people could buy the phone and legitamately not know it was non-upgradable. I was one of those. I believed that 7.5 would be upgradable because there was no technilogical reason it wouldn't be (you can flash a new kernel on a phone, I've done it lots). I understand why they aren't upgrading, but I would still like Windows Phone 8, so I will call in and try this.

Yeah but apparently we were all supposed to sit there and read the thousands of conflicting reports and rumors about the topic and know better before we bought the phone.

LaNiQuE

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for posting this im going to try it and people who are judging us for it should probably know the facts before bringing eathics into it. I don't get an upgrade into this time next year and if I can get one now why wouldn't I try cause I won't be using that blahphone upgrade.

LaNiQuE

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
The guy didn't say it was based off of anything having to do with months anyone who got the 900 isn't eligible for a upgrade and this was all he said he could do for me which isn't much of anything

MechanizedSunrise

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Definitely happening though it is the discretion of the CSR's manager. I just spent an hour and a half between three call centers, but I was finally able to get an override for the upgrade and 2 year extension starting today.

The CSR was very understanding. She said she'd be mad to preorder a new phone just to find out 2 months later that it won't be getting the WP8 update and that 6 months later a new version would be announced. Maybe that helped win an override.

Exactly how was I on notice? At launch, no one knew the L900 would not be getting WP8. The hardware seemed adequate and it was THE Nokia/WP7.5 flagship. Android and iOS have gotten updates, even if they were in name only for iOS. I'm not entrenched in the tech world, but I think you'd find most people thought the L900 would be supported in WP8. One cannot view the world in hindsight. Just take a look at the L900 forums pre-noWP8 announcement to see how the actual sentiment was.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6