8X or 920???

thecrispy

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Well with the anouncement from Sprint finally going forth with WP8 I can finally begin comparing all the devices that are capable of going to Sprint but I want to focus on the 8X and 920 because I have never had a flagship device and this is the perfect time to get one.

Any tips???

David Taylor1

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
There is absolutely no competition here... Nokia Lumia 920, everything will be better from screen to build quality. Plus Nokia are bound to hang onto exclusives! You would be daft not to.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Depends.

If you're an audio person that don't mind apps being "exclusive" for other devices before reaching yours, get the 8x. Out of all the WP devices out now, visually it is the best looking

If you want to be up to date on apps, have turn by turn navigation, and updates and like to take a lot of pictures (especially in low light settings), the 920 seems to be the possibility

But I don't see Sprint getting a 920 so the 8x might seem like your only choice unless they get a variant of Verizon's Nokia

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
After switching from Sprint to AT&T, go for the low end phone. Seeing the difference in network performance and speed is unreal. I never had any problems with Sprint but seeing is believing. Getting a high end phone on Sprint will be like running a high performance nascar on a dirt track.

Or go with the 8X. spec wise it's up there, but appearance is lacking greatly. So it would look ok on a dirt track.

fierywater

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
This question probably won't make sense by the time Sprint releases their first WP8 phones. Unless it's only a few months away, the models will probably be different than what we're looking at now. Also, I'll eat my hat if they get a 920 variant.

I still have a gut feeling that their first WP8 phone will be from ZTE. :D

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, how long will the wait be is the big question. Is the announcement just a throwing it out there it's coming thing? Or is it really in the works? I would think finalizing the sale is the main focus of the company with everything else coming after that.

For those that have stayed with Sprint, I hope you get something worthwhile for your patience.

mlm1950

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Go to an AT&T store and check them out in person. That's what I did, and to me, the 8X looks and feels like a toy compared to the 920.

Though as mentioned, the phone selection will likely be different by the time Sprint rolls out a WP8 device.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Go to an AT&T store and check them out in person. That's what I did, and to me, the 8X looks and feels like a toy compared to the 920.

See, I thought the opposite. I thought the 920 seemed like a large, silly tank compared to the, in my opinion, much better feeling 8X. I like the thinness and that the 8X uses a long, narrow screen, which makes it easier to use one handed than the wider screen of the 920. Also, I prefer a matte finish phone to a glossy and like the california blue 8x better than the Cyan or Black 920. I also thought the 8X camera performed a smidge quicker than that of the 920, which is important to me. I played with the super sensitive touch, and I didn't like it as much as I thought I would. To me, the 8X was superior in every way to the 920 except one, price. With all the extra hardware (much of which I am uniterested in) and extra storage that the 920 has, its hard to justify paying the same price for the 8X, but I do like it better and would likely purchase it over the 920 if I were to be buying a cell phone tomorrow.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site

Though as mentioned, the phone selection will likely be different by the time Sprint rolls out a WP8 device.

Ik. It felt so cheap.

derek533

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I've had the privilege of holding both. The 8X is a gorgeous device no doubt. My biggest problem with it, is that it's not comfortable to hold IMO due to the way the sides are tapered. It's very lightweight comparatively speaking. The whole device is tapered on all sides and holding it while you would be talking on it (aka not flat in your palm), just didn't seem comfortable to me.

The 920 is the antithesis of the 8X. It's big, heavy (not too heavy damnit!) and it feels substantial (in a good way) in your hands. The edges are rounded, but the circumference is a little bigger than the 8X and it didn't seem to be uncomfortable to hold for long periods of time. However, if your hands wrap around the actual corners, they are quite sharp and might be painful after a period of holding due to the pressure points.

Everything else being equal, in terms of just holdability (is that even a word?), I would give a slight edge (pardon the pun) to the Lumia 920.

Now whether or not that matters to you only you can answer especially considering the 920 is on ATT only while 8X is on everyone but Sprint. The bottom line though is they both have their strengths and weaknesses.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Depends.

If you're an audio person that don't mind apps being "exclusive" for other devices before reaching yours, get the 8x. Out of all the WP devices out now, visually it is the best looking.

ny8cv.gif

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss