Verizon Customers

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
When I first saw the 822 I was disgusted! Now after handling it and reading mostly positive reviews I have warmed up to it. Just to show how much I have changed I really don't know what I'll do if Verizon does get a 9xx. The lack of a removeable battery could really be what makes me choose the 822.

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
The last thing I want to do is get some college kid making 8 bucks an hour in trouble for not showing me the right phones. I will say though that it was in Iowa.

That's all well and good but sales reps at a corporate Verizon store probably make $50-$60k a year. When I was a rep I made about $70k on average. So yeah. You're not just getting "some college kid" in trouble, you'd be getting someone who is paid like a professional and trained like a professional in trouble for not doing something right. lol

tcman88 said:
Also sales reps receive"bonus" for every non iPhone they sale and double bonus on every windows phones

I don't know where you work, but I work for Verizon corporate as a trainer in the Midwest and the ONLY bonus on any kind of phone is a 4G LTE credit, which is $25, but that applies to every single 4G phone including the iPhone 5.

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
That's all well and good but sales reps at a corporate Verizon store probably make $50-$60k a year. When I was a rep I made about $70k on average. So yeah. You're not just getting "some college kid" in trouble, you'd be getting someone who is paid like a professional and trained like a professional in trouble for not doing something right. lol

I don't know where you work, but I work for Verizon corporate as a trainer in the Midwest and the ONLY bonus on any kind of phone is a 4G LTE credit, which is $25, but that applies to every single 4G phone including the iPhone 5.

A lot of people don't understand that Verizon's main objective when you're shopping for a new phone is to get you into one that suits your needs. If you're a first time smartphone buyer, they want to get you into a phone you'll enjoy. And they do want to get everyone on LTE in a data package - no doubt. But besides that, VZW's focus is getting the customer into a phone that will allow them to enjoy the benefits of the network that they desire most.

VZW doesn't invest in their network just to brag. They invest in it because they are all about customer experience, not necessarily the latest and greatest for tech geeks. Often the latest and greatest doesn't work so well when it is first deployed and that affects customer experience. Verizon has always been willing to let their competitors be the ones that have the issues while Verizon's customers continue to be satisfied.

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
When I first saw the 822 I was disgusted! Now after handling it and reading mostly positive reviews I have warmed up to it. Just to show how much I have changed I really don't know what I'll do if Verizon does get a 9xx. The lack of a removeable battery could really be what makes me choose the 822.

If Verizon releases both a 922 (virtually identical to AT&T model), and also releases an 822 HD, I would honestly choose the 822 HD for the MicroSD.

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
A lot of people don't understand that Verizon's main objective when you're shopping for a new phone is to get you into one that suits your needs. If you're a first time smartphone buyer, they want to get you into a phone you'll enjoy. And they do want to get everyone on LTE in a data package - no doubt. But besides that, VZW's focus is getting the customer into a phone that will allow them to enjoy the benefits of the network that they desire most.

VZW doesn't invest in their network just to brag. They invest in it because they are all about customer experience, not necessarily the latest and greatest for tech geeks. Often the latest and greatest doesn't work so well when it is first deployed and that affects customer experience. Verizon has always been willing to let their competitors be the ones that have the issues while Verizon's customers continue to be satisfied.

While that may be the case now, I respectfully would like to disagree about that being the objective in the past. I believe instead they were focused on selling 4G phones with horrendous battery life (like the HTC Thunderbolt, which basically requires extended battery to use) due to wanting to build out their 4G network, even if the practical non-battery draining SoC was not there to support 4G yet. IMO they did kind of throw consumers under the bus to foster LTE network.

Up until June 2012, AT&T had offered the following Windows Phones I am aware of in total:
HTC Surround
HTC Titan
HTC Titan II
LG Quantum
Nokia Lumia 900
Samsung Focus
Samsung Focus Flash
Samsung Focus S
Samsung Focus 2

Verizon had offered the following through June 2012:
HTC Trophy.

Now, being someone who likes Windows Phone, I was planning on leaving Verizon if the trend continued. Thankfully, Verizon saw the light and is doing much better now. I plan to stick with Verizon, but I'm still waiting for that killer device to replace my Trophy!

Last edited:

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Verizon abandoned the device agenda in February of 2012. Next year there's talk of offering payment plans on phones and cheaper plans if you don't do a contract. Similar to how tabs dropped to $10 a month ($20 of you add 2 more gigs) with no contract and a loan program if you can't afford the phone full price. Verizon really likes how the UK phone system works. No subsidies would mean they could lower plans say $20 a month but in reality they'd make more.

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Verizon abandoned the device agenda in February of 2012. Next year there's talk of offering payment plans on phones and cheaper plans if you don't do a contract. Similar to how tabs dropped to $10 a month ($20 of you add 2 more gigs) with no contract and a loan program if you can't afford the phone full price. Verizon really likes how the UK phone system works. No subsidies would mean they could lower plans say $20 a month but in reality they'd make more.

Part of the problem in the US is that as long as the major carriers do not give significant incentive to buy off contract (such as cheaper prices and unlimited or much higher data caps), it will be much more expensive because they will be a minute market for off contract phones. Thus, with a small market for off contract phones, there will be higher prices and little incentive to buy.

Another option is to make the gap between off contract and on contract smaller by eliminating free smartphones and increasing prices across the board on contract. The only problem with this is that people may switch carriers for a cheaper phone they want in particular, though I think more likely people will just get a lower spec'd phone. This includes raising prices (or keeping them high, at least) both at Verizon stores and third party (i.e. Amazon, Walmart) plus through black Friday, etc. Instead of making phones free on black Friday, throw in free accessories etc.

Finally, if buying off contract is Verizon's agenda, Windows phone should be their #1 investment. There is a very simple reason for this: competition resulting in lower phone prices combined with users willing to spend more money.

* With Apple, there is no competition and thus they can charge ridiculous prices Therefore getting iPhone users to pay more upfront will be unlikely as it simply will be too much money. Plus, Verizon themselves gets to pay the "Apple tax."

* With Google, there is lots of competition, but the userbase on average is used to getting free phones and free apps (Google's Play store makes something like 1/10th of apple's comparing the top 100 apps). Heck, even the OS is free for the phone manuf. Therefore getting Android users to pay more upfront will be unlikely as quite simply they are used to getting stuff for free and will probably continue that trend. And Verizon gets to pay the support costs that go along with a wild-wild-west free and openly modifiable OS.

* With Windows Phone, you have the multi-manufacturer competition, but the phones and apps are NOT geared towards getting everything for free. Therefore, you get devices priced lower than Apple and users more likely to buy them as they are used to spending money for stuff. No Apple tax, no wild wild west, either.

* With BlackBerry, the brand is simply too tarnished now (think where Microsoft was with Windows Mobile 6.5), and it will take a long sustained effort to change that. Frankly, I'm not sure RIM has the resources to turn it around. And I don't think anyone would take a large financial risk on a BB10 for that reason.

So, that is why Verizon should be putting Windows Phone center stage. It may take some time, but in the end I believe Windows Phone is the most healthy for Verizon overall. You just need to show it to people and sell them on why its better for them, too.

Last edited:

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't solve navigating to a contact's address or to an address from the web, though, right?

nope, and trust me, there is nobody more p***ed about that than i am! That was probably the most used function in my phone!

I really hope there's an update to change that.

I'm not sure I agree. If you have an address saved in your contact list, touch on Map Home (or Work) Address and it will provide directions for you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs