Just about to get lumia 920, but then I hear...950 will have a 12 mp camera

ChristianKing

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
No one wants to hear of a new flagship released quickly, but March just happens to be 5 months since the release of the 920 and anyone that thinks the codename "Alfa" device that keeps popping up isn't real is kidding themselves. Nokia's twitter account also mentioned that there are multiple new camera technologies comming out. And the one glaring piece of information is the well known fact that the S4 Pro devices were left out of each manufacture's lineup until 2013.

Having said all that, I believe we will see a 5 inch Lumia in March after MWC. I also believe it will match the specs of the 920 with the S4 Pro comming along and a new Pureview technology. For this go around I think we'll see the S4 Pro's 20 MP camera sensor or a custom 24MP chip used to roll out 3X lossless digital zoom. The dream phone would include OIS and lossless Zoom, but that's more likely next November.

I think we'll also get Stereo Rich Recording in the 5 inch device. These are logical upgrades to round out the product lineup but not upgrades that render the 920 to second class status. If you want the larger screen and optical zoom get the alpa. If you want the awesome night shots and a more managible device, get the 920. Two different customers covering different needs. I think we'll also see the new 7 series devices as well. Nokia needs momentum and whie the 920 is still going strong the mid tier handsets are how the company makes it's money so they need to keep this product range fresh and exciting. Nokia isn't going to MWC with only a tablet in hand. That would be suicide for the stock. They need hits and they're finally getting some momentum with their smartphones.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Sounds really fine. I'm just sad that the Windows Phone 8 OS is still nowhere near usable. They could at least fix the big delay with notifications. A notification center later on is a must... :/

Nowhere near usable? Really? I use it everyday without a problem and so do millions of other people. Why is it nowhere near usable? Because it doesn't have a darn notification center to tell you when Paris Hilton tweets every 39 seconds?

I can't wait until they add notification just so people will stop crying about it. Personally I find it irritating. I got an Android tablet and had to turn a bunch of them off. I really don't need to be bothered every time someone responds to a post on a forum or on Facebook or when a new tweet comes in. Its actually pretty annoying and distracting.

JacksonSQD

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
Nowhere near usable? Really? I use it everyday without a problem and so do millions of other people. Why is it nowhere near usable? Because it doesn't have a darn notification center to tell you when Paris Hilton tweets every 39 seconds?

I can't wait until they add notification just so people will stop crying about it. Personally I find it irritating. I got an Android tablet and had to turn a bunch of them off. I really don't need to be bothered every time someone responds to a post on a forum or on Facebook or when a new tweet comes in. Its actually pretty annoying and distracting.
I agree, if I wanted to check my notifications, I'd rather check them myself rather than being annoyed by push notifications.
I use WP 7.5 and I have no problems with it (well, aside from not being able to resize tiles.. but oh well.). I really don't understand why some people think the OS is crappy though, apart from the Marketplace.. but if that is the deal-breaker, you have got to be kidding me. :eck:

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
What's this trustable source? Verizon employee? Don't trust some high school dropout...
If there is a Verizon employee who dropped out of high school, he's probably making the most out of any other high school drop out. Most sales reps at the corporate stores $55k+ per year.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
3 years is ridiculous, people already have device anxiety because of 2 year contracts.
Yeah, it is really odd up here, but it makes the devices really cheap. For example, on a 3 year you get a smartphone for 49.99, 2 year 199.99, 1 year 499.99 and off contract 549.99. The structure is puzzling, but for folks who can't really afford a great device otherwise, a 3 year contract is their only option.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Crystal... Excuse my ignorance of the Canadian market, but can I clarify the monthly costs too? In UK I genuinely cannot stomach paying for a phone upfront. My 920 costs me ?28.50 per month on a 24 month contract. I think that is approximately $45.60. It was also free, with ni upfront costs.

Twice Born

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Peachy, is that a normal rate for wireless plans in the UK? What comes with that? ON Verizon my wife and I pay $144 for two lines with unlimited talk and text and 4gb of data...and that's WITH a 20% discount on the main line.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
To be fair, the iphone 5 does not qualify for that price, but I would expect every other phone around that price. My allowance is 600mins, unlimited texts and 1GB data. You can get the iphone 5 for approximately ?35pm. The plan will also have more of an allowance than mine. You are pay ?89.28, but get more of an allowance. Having said that, I am quoting my 3g tarif. 4g is brand new here and commands a higher price.

For me to get the 920 on 3g, unlimited talk and texts and data, I would be looking at approx ?40 (with t mobile full monty). They don't allow tethering on that plan though. For 4g, you need to add on more, and there is no unlimited data plan.

JacksonSQD

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
Right now in Australia, cheapest deal from Telstra for a L920 is $65/mth for $600 talk + unlimited text and 1GB of data on a 24-month plan. So right now I'd rather wait for Vodafone to hopefully be getting the 920s as well.. since they generally have cheaper deals.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
If you guys think a 2 year contract is long, how do you think Canadians feel having to deal with a 3 year commitment?

Oh screw that... THREE years??

I can't imagine that. Your phone would be so hopelessly outdated after 3 years and the battery in most phones is pretty worn down after just two years. Sounds like a pretty raw deal if you ask me.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Turns out there are 7 Canadian years in every Earth year.

All canines were invented in Canada, hence the name. When invented, canine internal clocks were set to run to Canadian time.

As Canines, or dogs as we now call them, became popular, they were transported across the globe on ships that used them to tell the time and as maritime calenders. Every time the dog celebrated a birthday, the sailors knew that 52.14 days had elapsed.

Interestingly, modern day mobile phone companies that force you into a 3yr contract are also know as dogs.

TheAsbo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
The rumor that the new flagship Lumia is rumored to have an aluminum body. That would be awesome. I would love to hear a few details about the new phone before I jump on the 920.

JacksonSQD

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm not too excited about the aluminium body.. It would make the phone much more prone to scratching and damage in general.
Besides, actual launch of this new phone is far away, you can either wait a long time to buy it, or you can buy a 920 now.

Gaichuke

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm not too excited about the aluminium body.. It would make the phone much more prone to scratching and damage in general.

I'm not at all excited about the aluminium body rumors as I consider Nokia N8 one of the ugliest phones ever made (I absolutely hate those ugly plastic end caps) but what you say is not exactly true since we're talking about Nokia here. Whatever aluminium body material Nokia used in N8 is very durable and eat coins like candy:

Picture doing this to an iPhone 5.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte