Nokia Tablet?

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Despite most rumors saying it's going to be phone only for Nokia, the bit about Nokia tablet in the wild on the news page has me wishing. Any remote chance they might show one? Could it look anything like a large 920? One article I read speculated it's type cover could have a battery.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I don't really think that Nokia should release a tablet right now. But, then again, this is Nokia.
I'd rather have a giant 820 than a tablet that doesn't have a microSD slot and replaceable battery.

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm really crossing my fingers for a 7" Windows tablet. I don't care who the manufacturer is, as long as it's solid. Waiting for one of these to drop is all that's stopping me from grabbing a Nexus 7 tablet (Surfaces are out for me because I need a 7")

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I think most manufacturers have written off WRT as DOA, while cramming a fully capable PC into a tablet form factor is just a tad beyond what we are currently capable of doing well. We're at a point were neither approach to Windows tablets makes sense, particularly because ULP Haswell is right around the corner. I wouldn't expect any Nokia W8 tablet until then.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Yeah i don't believe there will be Nokia RT tablet either. Windows 8 RT simply isn't ready and Surface RT, not to talk about other RT tablets are not selling.

It would be just stupid now to come out with essentially the same hardware used by all of the RT manufacturers. It seems like RT is still relying on the same set of screen resolution and SoC's.

Zeroplanetz

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Um, I love my surface Rt, to me its no worse than apple or Google but does offer some advantages over them for relatively the same price point. In essence it is what a tablet should be on one end, then there is the other end which is the full pc experience which I do agree has some things need to be worked on but is close which is why I can't personally knock a w8pro tablet. I think if anything the competition needs to step up more.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
As long as RT devcies keep coming with free Windows Office and Modern apps, I will always buy an RT for my tablet needs.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Um, I love my surface Rt, to me its no worse than apple or Google but does offer some advantages over them for relatively the same price point. In essence it is what a tablet should be on one end, then there is the other end which is the full pc experience which I do agree has some things need to be worked on but is close which is why I can't personally knock a w8pro tablet. I think if anything the competition needs to step up more.

Just to be clear, I wasn't knocking WRT either. It certainly has it's uses. It's a good device. It's just hard to sell. Selling the iPad was easy. You just had to tell consumers it was an iPhone with a big screen. With Windows RT the sales pitch is much more difficult. It runs a "windows" branded OS, but it can't run traditional windows software. However, it does run Microsoft Office. It is a tablet like the iPad, but it isn't just a windows phone with a big screen (which is what people expect a tablet to be). It connects to the Microsoft store, but it doesn't have a lot of apps.

It's in a category of it's own, and that requires a lot of consumer education which hardware manufacturers don't like paying for. Consumers who aren't sure what it is, or those that aren't comfortable treading off the trodden consumer IT path, likely won't buy it. That has been its problem.

Zeroplanetz

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Just to be clear, I wasn't knocking WRT either. It certainly has it's uses. It's a good device. It's just hard to sell. Selling the iPad was easy. You just had to tell consumers it was an iPhone with a big screen. With Windows RT the sales pitch is much more difficult. It runs a "windows" branded OS, but it can't run traditional windows software. However, it does run Microsoft Office. It is a tablet like the iPad, but it isn't just a windows phone with a big screen (which is what people expect a tablet to be). It connects to the Microsoft store, but it doesn't have a lot of apps.

It's in a category of it's own, and that requires a lot of consumer education which hardware manufacturers don't like paying for. Consumers who aren't sure what it is, or those that aren't comfortable treading off the trodden consumer IT path, likely won't buy it. That has been its problem.
ipad was easy to sell because it was the only thing it at the time, a small portable media device. But times have evolved and the consumer knowledge will as well. But yes sadly that is what usually takes the longest. As far as apps they will grow the market continually like every other app store.

giffis

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Based on Software wise RT tablets only worth 250 to 400 $ ( Office, apps, Xbox games and browsing.) If there is tablets within this price range of various size people will buy it. Above that range people expect PRO.

fpostrow

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
and the battery life of the Surface RT is fantastic compared to the Pro. Just got back from a family vacation and after travelling all day, watching movies on the plane, surfing on wifi in the Airport when you finally get to the hotel and realize you still have 60+% of your battery life left at the end of the day its just fantastic. Until Pro can match that I'll stick with RT.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3