Anyone interested in a Nokia media player?

jgbstetson

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Not rumored or upcoming but....it seems like there is some interest in buying the cheaper lumias as a dedicated music player. How many would be interested in a Nokia media player with a wp8 OS? How much would you pay? How big should it be?

Just curious. I might bite for something ~150 USD with a 3.8 inch screen and super slim bezels and thickness. Maybe a camera like the iPod and all Nokia camera apps.

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Or you could buy the Nokia Lumia 520 for about ?100 that cheaper then an ipod touch or if you want a front facing camera Nokia Lumia 620 for skype.

jgbstetson

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Yes, sorry, meant iPod touch. I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you stripped out all the unessential cellular components and thinned the body down, would it be marketable?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Yes, sorry, meant iPod touch. I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you stripped out all the unessential cellular components and thinned the body down, would it be marketable?

I doubt it. It's probably just a matter of time before Apple discontinues the iPod. Standalone mp3 players aren't very popular anymore.

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

I would say if it had 1gb of Ram and 720p resolution same as the Nokia lumia 920 and the price somewhere near ?150 then yes it would be great in the market.

However I notice people have started to use there phone for music and everything else like an iPod touch is for so it proper would be low sales.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, don't see the reason. It's a dying device that would not benefit Nokia even indirectly. It's phones they need to be focused on.

More than that I would like to see compact high end (truly high end) music phone from Nokia, like the N91 with Harman headphone amp and custom Toshiba chip made just for the phone.
There are plenty of HiFi nuts like me who would be all over that.

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
How about Nokia put their effort into a 7-8" tablet that can double as a GOOD media player, with high end D/A for sound reproduction?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, don't see the reason. It's a dying device that would not benefit Nokia even indirectly. It's phones they need to be focused on.

More than that I would like to see compact high end (truly high end) music phone from Nokia, like the N91 with Harman headphone amp and custom Toshiba chip made just for the phone.
There are plenty of HiFi nuts like me who would be all over that.

That would be cool.

EDMmmmmmm

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
I think if you need to carry a second mp3 player your phone is not doing what it should well enough. With enough room for tons of media on the phone, more saved in the cloud and availability of numerous streaming services (Xbox music, Pandora, Nokia music, Spotify, beem, etc) I think the mp3 player is on the way out.

Tablet on the other hand is a perfect complement to a great phone. I hope some great tablets come out for windows 8 in the future.

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Do you really want to bring your $599 (potentially large) phone to the gym or elsewhere it could be damaged? Perhaps a compact $149 touchscreen media player would work better here? :)

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720