Nokia "EOS"

benrp

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
With several sites posting about the device expected on May 14 known as EOS, there seems to be a lot of competing rumours. The 41mp camera seems to be a certainty but beyond that I'm not so sure. A 1080p (phablet size possibly) and quad core processor have been the most common however it seems the update required from Microsoft won't be here for a while ruling that out for this release. An aluminium build was originally just for Catwalk but the rumours would now have us believe the EOS will get this as well. At this point it begins to look as if perhaps news sites are just mixing up their devices. So then we assume something like the 920 spec wise (maybe with a super amoled display) with a 808 style camera thrown on, although I'm not sure how wireless charging would work if the back had a giant camera bulging out, I guess Nokia will work their engineering magic.
So what do you guys think, what can we expect? I'm guessing: 41mp sensor, with OIS (90% sure), duel core Qualcomm processor of some sort (90%), polycarbonate (60%, vs 40% for metal) wireless charging (60%), 4.5" Super AMOLED 720p (80%), 32gb internal, not expandable (50%). Name: Lumia,930 pro (random guess)
if this is the case it will be hard not to resist.

Last edited:

kokola95

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
Seems the rumored EOS wont come anytime soon, as wp gallery doesn't handle full resolution preview yet. Except the gdr 2/3 will fix this

benrp

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
Seems the rumored EOS wont come anytime soon, as wp gallery doesn't handle full resolution preview yet. Except the gdr 2/3 will fix this

Would be a bit annoying if they didn't, that teaser with the live tiles showing 4 and 1 seems to hint it. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

Same with android (at least the ones I've used) and iOS 6.x .. for some reason they don't do 100% zoom, and I think its because they don't want you to see those pics @ 100% .. too much grain/noise.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
With several sites posting about the dice expected on May 14 known as EOS, there seems to be a lot of competing rumours.

If anything most rumors have been pointing EOS to arrive when GDR3 comes out, somewhere in Q4 2013. The update that after all brings the support of 1080 screens and new SoC's.
Catwalk though is pretty much give for the May event.

nemov888

May 2, 2013
Visit site
I've been following the rumours for the last couple of months and I assume that there's two devices coming up; the Catwalk with Aluminium body, basically a slimline 920, with a move away from the polycarbonate Lumia design. If you think about the 720... which they seem to aim at fashion conscious market... the so called "Catwalk" seems aimed at the same market. I see the EOS as the new flagship, with some version of the Pureview technology. Maybe a 25mp Pureview camera with a floating lens? Whether they have managed to bring this to market by May 14th is a big question mark... cool if they did! & I suppose there is a chance of a release, given that teh 808 was released quite a while ago now... leaving ample time to develop it's successor?

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
given that teh 808 was released quite a while ago now... leaving ample time to develop it's successor?

1 year.. and considering the platform switch, and the fact that they are probably trying to make it better than the 808.. ya, it takes a while.

JustToClarify

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
its more than one year, they didn't start engineering 920 in august-september 2012 you know :) EOS is probably on a drawing board since WP7...2 years at least I'd say

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
This guy used to work for Nokia as head of imaging... he was heavily involved with all of Nokia's smartphone cameras all the way up to the 808. He now works for Jaguar, but regardless .. when he tweets something like this from his old account..

53Zj1cC.jpg

Nokia has my full attention now :)

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I am almost sure that it will be the Toshiba HES9 sensor from the 808 ... it doesn't make any sense to spend all that R&D money on it, and use it just for one smartphone, which wasn't advertised at all.

If they are using the hes9, that means that they can use the amazing carl zeiss optics that came with that package as well :)

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I am almost sure that it will be the Toshiba HES9 sensor from the 808 ... it doesn't make any sense to spend all that R&D money on it, and use it just for one smartphone, which wasn't advertised at all.

If they are using the hes9, that means that they can use the amazing carl zeiss optics that came with that package as well :)

yea, i think youre right - the light field stuff is a year out atleast i think... that will be amazing when it comes out tho!

As for the 808 lens/sensor array, do you think they can perform the OIS trick on something of that mass? Thats a large box!
Now, pushing that to the top corner or to the top edge might be something they because then they wont be hampered by the depth limitation that the screen position will give.

EDIT: did i say i was searching for the meaning to that phrase? :) Nokia really know how to tease us any more:)

JustToClarify

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
if they move it to the top the phone is going to lose the holding balance, also it will be a lot bigger for the same screen size...if they keep 4.5" screen it is going to be bigger than Samsung Note

torchbold2

May 14, 2013
Visit site

It was a good sensor but it will have to improve by a fair amount if this 808 successor is going to seriously challenge enthusiast cameras. Cameras with slightly larger 1" sensors easily outperform the 808 by a significant margin when the sensitivity is pushed to ISO 800 and 1600. See the 808 vs the Sony RX100 (Sony sensor) and the Nikon J1(Aptiva sensor)

2cYWeY8.jpg

lhLFxCr.jpg

t5J332w.jpg

As you can see above, the other cameras generate much cleaner files. Their sensors are bigger but not that much bigger.

That and the blown highlights are two concerns I have on the new Nokia. If they have improved in those areas, it'll be a big winner and I'll get one to replace my large cameras.

torchbold2

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately even the software noise result cannot really save it. Too many areas in the 808 picture after the noise reduction have been turned into water painting because the 808 image had too much blotchness. Look at the blue sea, it looks like there are swirls all over the place even though it should mostly be flat. Look at where it says "Congo" in Africa. Look at how the "M" in the background has much fuzziness around the line because of the heavy noise reduction.

I appreciate Nokia took a light approach to noise reduction but the sensor is still too noisy for a phone that's meant to be state-of-the-art in digital photography. It's still better than all the others but I really want a phone that can compete against the good cameras. If I'm fine with running the images through heavy noise reduction on computers afterward, I can just use the iPhones and Galaxys of the world and be happy.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786