Nokia phablet

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Not a fan of phablets, but there's a huge market for them and it will only be a question of time before Nokia brings one. Presumably when Windows Phone gets 1080p support by the end of this year.
Now we have got our first possible leak of the device.
http://www.windowscentral.com/nokia-phablet-lumia-1030-reportedly-revealed-blurry-photo

Nokia%20Phablet.jpg

I was a bit dubious about this one, though if this is photoshopped the guy has done some work at not doing it the easiest job ever by how he has positioned the phone and the visible reflection. Also the picture includes unknown Sony Xperia phone (maybe Sony Togari, http://nokiagadgets.com/2013/05/31/is-this-nokia-phablet-nokia-max/), something that adds a lot of credibility to this rumor. Also notice the extra row that was rumored to be included on GDR3 uupdate, like 1080p support for +5-inch phones.

Nokia%20Phablet%20larger.jpg

So what do think? If it's real, do you like that Nokia is holding on to the N9/Lumia 800 design? It looks to be thinnest N9 design yet.

Last edited:

Dazzi

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

That thing looks absolutely awful next to the HTC.

Furthermore, I don't see the point in phablets (I think 4.5-5.0 screens are large enough). Nokia doesn't need to copy Samsung with silly looking, over the top phones.

However, I would love to see Nokia make an 8 inch tablet, to compete with the iPad mini -- I've just had to buy an iPad mini because I couldn't find a good quality W8 tablet.

I think HTC have got the right idea:

http://m.yahoo.com/w/legobpengine/n...s.yahoo.com&.intl=GB&.lang=en-GB&.tsrc=warhol

Lets hope Nokia follows suit... Just my 2 pence 😉

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Furthermore, I don't see the point in phablets (I think 4.5-5.0 screens are large enough). Nokia doesn't need to copy Samsung with silly looking, over the top phones.

However, I would love to see Nokia make an 8 inch tablet, to compete with the iPad mini -- I've just had to buy an iPad mini because I couldn't find a good quality W8 tablet.

I think HTC have got the right idea:

HTC reportedly ditches 12-inch Windows 8 tablet plans, will press on with 7-inch

Lets hope Nokia follows suit... Just my 2 pence 

I agree, but phablets are set to sell 40 million this year compared to 30 million last year. People want phablets so Nokia and WP need to be there.
It's not like this is away from Nokia tablet, that I btw hope to be over 10-inch. ;)

EDIT: Tom Warren has tweeted the picture not to be real.

Last edited:

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
This versus the leaked images of EOS... I'd take this over EOS in a heartbeat. The current camera on my 920 is more than good enough for me. I've always missed a larger screen since my Titan 2. I'm all for a Nokia 1080p device with a screen less than 6". For me 5" would be ideal but I could probably handle 6" at most before I have to start buying pants with bigger pockets.

Connie Litrenta

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

Lets hope Nokia follows suit... Just my 2 pence 

I totally disagree. There is absolutely a market out there for the phablet and Ihappen to be one of those waiting for a Windows version of the Note. Aside from just being able to do serious work on it, my eyes just aren't what they used to be so any advantage I can get seeing the screen (other than using a tablet) is a definite plus for me. Clearly not everyone would need one or even see a need for one but just because you don't doesn't make it silly or over the top.

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I agree with Connie! Nokia would benefit big time from a Galaxy Note competitor. But they just don't need to play "who can make a bigger screen" with Samsung. I think Sammy's getting out of hand with increasing the screen size on every new model of the Note. 6" to me is just enough for a phablet.

Dazzi

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
I totally disagree. There is absolutely a market out there for the phablet and Ihappen to be one of those waiting for a Windows version of the Note. Aside from just being able to do serious work on it, my eyes just aren't what they used to be so any advantage I can get seeing the screen (other than using a tablet) is a definite plus for me. Clearly not everyone would need one or even see a need for one but just because you don't doesn't make it silly or over the top.

I appreciate your opinion, as everyone has one.

However, my opinion is, they look silly and over the top..

Dazzi

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
I agree with Connie! Nokia would benefit big time from a Galaxy Note competitor. But they just don't need to play "who can make a bigger screen" with Samsung. I think Sammy's getting out of hand with increasing the screen size on every new model of the Note. 6" to me is just enough for a phablet.

I appreciate your opinion. However, I can't see Nokia benefitting from a phablet -- they can't even manage to make their regular sized phones a decent weight -- so could you imagine how bulky and silly looking a Nokia phablet would be?

Dazzi

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
^^ well I'll tell you, it's Asia -- which Samsung dominates.

So yes you are right to say there is a market for phablets, and that is Samsung ones.

benrp

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, clearly a market and I do believe Nokia will have one by years end, although I'm not interested personally, give me my EOS!

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Okay, no I don't see all those people using Galaxy Notes, as I don't live in Japan or the USA -- I've seen one Galaxy Note being used in the wild, and the woman who was using it, looked like she had a brick to her head.
It seemed pretty popular when I went to India last summer too. They're huge in all the big cell phone markets.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon