Afraid to buy a new GDR3 preloaded Lumia by the end of the year

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi!

I was a happy owner of an unlocked red Lumia 920 since January. This lasted until a week ago when my phone was stolen. Now I'm looking to buy a new phone in the end of the year. GDR3 is looking promising with its compatibility with quadcore and 1080p displays.

However we all know that not to long after the release of GDR3 we are going to have WP8.1. I'm afraid that this new OS version (although compatible with existing devices) will bring support for some hardware features that are only compatible with WP8.1 preloaded devices. It wouldn't be nice to buy a new flagship in December and having a new one primarily thought for WP8.1 preloaded devices being released in January or Fabruary.

What are your thoughts on this? Anyone felling afraid that WP8.1 will make GDR3 hardware "obsolet" or in your opinion WP8.1 will not have any impact on hardware (just software changes)?

Fade_z

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
No, MS confirmed that all wp8 devices will run 8.1 and all current high end are fast enough for full 8.1.
Only phones like 520 that lack certain hardware.
And as of since 920 and beyond all have the "full kit" (except for wireless charging on some)
You won't miss out anything ;)

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I was talking about things like (just for example really) a fingerprint scanner or AirView like Galaxy S4. WP8.1 may bring compatibility to it but GDR3 preloaded phones may not have that hardware. I know that these things happen in tech all the time and we have to live with them. What bothers me here is that the releases of GDR3 and WP8.1 are scheduled for dates really close to each other, our new GDR3 hardware may become outdated too fast... faster than what we are used to!

Fade_z

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
I was talking about things like (just for example really) a fingerprint scanner or AirView like Galaxy S4. WP8.1 may bring compatibility to it but GDR3 preloaded phones may not have that hardware. I know that these things happen in tech all the time and we have to live with them. What bothers me here is that the releases of GDR3 and WP8.1 are scheduled for dates really close to each other, our new GDR3 hardware may become outdated too fast... faster than what we are used to!
Well if you rely on features that are not present in current devices, I recommend waiting;)

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Not that I rely on them, it is just that if some breakthrough feature suddenly appears. Then I'll regret not having wait.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
If you like a phone, buy it. Waiting on what could be without any certainty isn't smart. The biggest hardware complaints people have about WP right now will be solved with GDR3.

rakesh1995

Banned
May 26, 2013
Visit site
Bro a better phone comes every next month. That doesn't mean you will hold till next month before your death

Sent from my Lumia 520 using tapatalk

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Bro a better phone comes every next month. That doesn't mean you will hold till next month before your death

Sent from my Lumia 520 using tapatalk

No they don't. For instance, the LUMIA 920 was the best WP8 device for at least 6 months. I know it doesn't get any longer than that, but that's the kind of phone that I always try to find, the one that will remain as a flagship for longer. That's only going to happen again with the first WP8.1 devices, I'm sure about that, so those are the devices I'll be waiting for. Probably a Microsoft LUMIA 930.

Fade_z

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
No they don't. For instance, the LUMIA 920 was the best WP8 device for at least 6 months. I know it doesn't get any longer than that, but that's the kind of phone that I always try to find, the one that will remain as a flagship for longer. That's only going to happen again with the first WP8.1 devices, I'm sure about that, so those are the devices I'll be waiting for. Probably a Microsoft LUMIA 930.
Lumia 920 is the same speed wise, the others have a slightly different design, lack wireless charging and are a little lighter .

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa