Snapdragon 820, Lumia 940xl

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
The simultaneous display is a mirrored display. That's still not continuum. It has to drive 2 separate displays doing 2 different things, which it does NOT mention it being capable of. It may be, but I have been unable to confirm that particular capability. Admittedly, I haven't tried very hard to since Joe Belfiore keeps mentioning they don't have the hardware available yet for Continuum. What does he mean by that? The 810 has been out for a while. He can't be talking about the 810, because the 810 hardware is available. Explain that, and we'll talk further.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
That statement from Joe was a while ago. "hardware" could mean processor or phone. It could mean the phone, processor and the hub.

At the time of the statement 810 v2.1 was not available, neither was the phone or the hub.

If he made the statement today, then that would be different. Having said that, if by hardware he means "phone" then it won't be available for some time.

I must reiterate, I want you to be right. I just don't think that the evidence is there to rule out the 810 v2.1. Indeed, the fact that Dan has stated it will be leads me to believe it will be.

anon(5969054)

May 7, 2013
Visit site
What I'm thinking is they collaborated with Qualcomm to make a modified version of the 810. Lets hope it wont have any heat problems or I would also be very disappointed and skip this flagship. Lumia 920 also gets way too hot sometimes.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Someone set me straight if I'm wrong but doesn't Continuum require an Intel chip? I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere. If true, this thread is wortless for any mention of Continuum.

Sent from my LG G3 via Tapatalk

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Someone set me straight if I'm wrong but doesn't Continuum require an Intel chip? I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere. If true, this thread is wortless for any mention of Continuum.

Sent from my LG G3 via Tapatalk

Joe Belfiore had specifically stated that the new hardware they were waiting on was hardware from Qualcomm. I believe that was at Build, but can't remember which video it was that I had watched when he said that. They did state they were working closely with Qualcomm on it's development. That's why I believe it is going to be a new chip from Qualcomm.

Personally, if they could solve energy efficiency, down size it some more, and get better performance at the same time, I'd love to see an i7 powering the next flagship. Unfortunately, we're a ways off on something like that.

@peachy001 and TechFreak1, I just wanted to say "Thanks" to both of you for the informative and mature discussion here. I have really been enjoying it. Nice to not have petty bickering when there is a difference of opinion. I salute you.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Daniel/Dog.... I am genuinely ecstatic that I have been able to convey my opinion without any of you taking offence. Context is so difficult to express well in an internet discussion. Dam dog, I want you to be right. I have watched various Continuum videos looking for clues.

Incidentally, the Joe clip where he mentioned Qualcomm, it is the one linked above by Tech....(the one where Tech' asks if it works by "magic"). Surprised he said that, as there is no doubt that in every video, it is clearly a mock-up demo.

EMINENT 1

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I read 5 devices are launching this fall with the 820, all Android in that article.

Why couldn't MS have developed this phone with the 820 in mind like some of those no name manafacturers?

senrabwh

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I read 5 devices are launching this fall with the 820, all Android in that article.

Why couldn't MS have developed this phone with the 820 in mind like some of those no name manafacturers?

Because we are talking about MSFT, and they are always 6 months to a year behind. Bunch of buffoons.... Now they've given up on us all together.....so, do you think they care? My guess is two years and they are out of mobile phone business.... And the worst part is that these fools announce this right before Windows 10 Mobile and the arrival of a new flagship! I have to wonder how many people just decided to abandon MSFT because of this statement. Elop must have written Nadellas speech before he left.... Burning platform and all....the sheer brilliance of these men.

EMINENT 1

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Because we are talking about MSFT, and they are always 6 months to a year behind. Bunch of buffoons.... Now they've given up on us all together.....so, do you think they care? My guess is two years and they are out of mobile phone business.... And the worst part is that these fools announce this right before Windows 10 Mobile and the arrival of a new flagship! I have to wonder how many people just decided to abandon MSFT because of this statement. Elop must have written Nadellas speech before he left.... Burning platform and all....the sheer brilliance of these men.

Yeah, it'll be sad. But, it won't make me abandon the platform. I'd still much rather prefer using a W10M phone than the other two and it's a MINIMUM support number of years from a source unconfirmed by MS via Bloomberg. And, you know how that speculative rumor about WP being axed blossomed to just that... a rumor that MS shot down with the full commitment to W10 phones.

Those that believe that BS, well... bye!

I'll be right here watching and using this universal os as it unfolds before me and I can't wait for it to finally come together!

senrabwh

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, it'll be sad. But, it won't make me abandon the platform. I'd still much rather prefer using a W10M phone than the other two and it's a MINIMUM support number of years from a source unconfirmed by MS via Bloomberg. And, you know how that speculative rumor about WP being axed blossomed to just that... a rumor that MS shot down with the full commitment to W10 phones.

Those that believe that BS, well... bye!

I'll be right here watching and using this universal os as it unfolds before me and I can't wait for it to finally come together!

I love Windows Phone and firmly believe that if they fully commit and convince the market it is here to stay....then back that up by building the mist technologically advanced phones, then people will come!

pjm1891

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Oh sorry. The heat issues like the One m9 aren't fixed at all in 2.1, since that's whats everybody been running all along. 2.1 isn't the fix Qualcomm was hoping for.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb