What are your plans given leaked flagship images?

SonOfDad

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
With debate raging if Microsoft have misfired on (potential) design of the new top of the line Lumia. Time to actually see where people stand.

Personally I was already doubting the OS, I went with WP7 as it wasn't a knockoff of existing phones, the interface was clean and slick and I liked the integration if brought in e.g. Facebook. I think Windows 10 mobile is a fall from grace, not a first step but certainly a big one.

My current plan is to jump to OnePlus Two, yet continue using the MS services I'm happy with and have access to new apps likely before W10m does. If things don't pan out 12 months down the track I haven't thrown away much cash and MS might have pulled things together software wise and release some better looking devices I can switch back.

Michael Tillman

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
I know the feeling. I'm going to do the same thing. I'm not impressed with the direction Microsoft has taken with the OS and I'm tired of all the disappointing phones they keep releasing. I'm a bit old fashioned and miss physical keyboards. I still use my old Dell venue from time to time. When blackberry releases the new Venice on Android I'm most probably jumping ship. I'm not going to miss Microsoft services as I can use them on Android.

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
These new flagships are Nokia designs.

Windows 10 mobile is full of potential in my opinion, and has already brought a lot of missing pieces. Continuum has the potential to be a game changer. Remember its still a tech preview and will be for at least another couple of months.

Everything is better. You may not like some aesthetic points, but there is no denying the advancement in function - and that's all that matters to me. That also applies to the new flagship phones for me... how is the build quality? How good are the components? I couldn't care less about the corners or plastic vs. metal.

SonOfDad

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
These new flagships are Nokia designs.

I can't agree with that, Microsoft took over operations 16 months ago following the announcement to purchase 8 months earlier,and they had heavily collaborated on handset design on Lumia's prior to that as a premium partner. It has a Microsoft logo on it meaning Microsoft gave thumbs up if it wasn't what they wanted they could have either scrapped it or downgraded it to a mid level and started over. What are you going to do when/if Windows 10 doesn't succeed blame Ballmer?

You may not like some aesthetic points, but there is no denying the advancement in function

What are the advancements in function of the hardware? All I can see is the retina unlock which is Microsoft's counter to competitors fingerprint unlock.

Seems like your hyping up the devices without any plans to use one just empty "oh it's better"

RJ Priest

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
At present, pending any surprises that Microsoft may present during the official unveiling, I will stick with my Lumia 1520 for now.

The heartbreaker is that McLaren looked like a beauty, following fabula design language. I wish that it wasn't cancelled.

TusharG

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I am happy with my current Lumia 640. These so called flagship phones are usually over priced. Unless they launch it at killer price, I am gonna give pass to 940/950 at the moment.

dumgeek

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
What's better, gold that look like tin or tin that looks like gold. Well of course gold that looks like gold is better. But you see people will always go for look's... imagine a car, a Lada, put a Porsche engine and brake. Will it sell? Doubtfully. Now, take 911 Porsha body and put-in a bad engine and brakes. I guaranty, it will sell!
So my prediction is, if MS go a head with the current tin look, this phone will be an other flop for MS.

Last edited by a moderator:

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
I can't agree with that, Microsoft took over operations 16 months ago following the announcement to purchase 8 months earlier,and they had heavily collaborated on handset design on Lumia's prior to that as a premium partner. It has a Microsoft logo on it meaning Microsoft gave thumbs up if it wasn't what they wanted they could have either scrapped it or downgraded it to a mid level and started over. What are you going to do when/if Windows 10 doesn't succeed blame Ballmer?

What are the advancements in function of the hardware? All I can see is the retina unlock which is Microsoft's counter to competitors fingerprint unlock.

Seems like your hyping up the devices without any plans to use one just empty "oh it's better"

Agree or not, these phones were designed and developed under Nokia. Many want to blame Microsoft for everything and act like Nokia walked on water. Fact is, my Lumia 830 it's a poor phone that was designed by Nokia.

As for the advancements in function, I was speaking of the Windows 10 mobile OS not the hardware, but... I don't see the retina scanner as a counter to the iPhone's fingerprint reader as much as it is a part of Windows Hello functions being available in Windows 10 (but is it that too). Continuum looks really cool to me, then there is the higher resolution screen, 5MP ffc/20MP rfc hasn't been done before in a Lumia, 3GB RAM is a nice upgrade, the Snapdragon 808/810 is an upgrade and so is the hecta/octa-core. Looks like it has as many or more mics as the 930 for richer audio recording.

Looks like a good bit to me, but I'm certain you already knew all of these things and it's kinda obvious that it doesn't matter what I say.

Gamely Lounges

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Leaked photos of talkman and cityman have underwhelmed me. I really hope they look better in person and feel good in the hand. WM10 has been a bad experience for me, too. For instance, email: No unified inbox.

I hate to say it, but I am giving very serious thought to going to iPhone.

Joe Dubya

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
On the fence, will wait for more on these devices, and potentially some new partners on board for W10? We'll see - my L830 is a placeholder, but not for much longer

Joe Dubya

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
At present, pending any surprises that Microsoft may present during the official unveiling, I will stick with my Lumia 1520 for now.

The heartbreaker is that McLaren looked like a beauty, following fabula design language. I wish that it wasn't cancelled.

I have always thought that the 1520 was one of the most beautiful Nokias ever, but 6" too big! Still tempted to buy one anyway...

SonOfDad

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Fact is, my Lumia 830 it's a poor phone that was designed by Nokia.

The Nokia Lumia 830 is a smartphone developed by Microsoft Mobile and branded as "Nokia" that runs Microsoft's Windows Phone 8.1 operating system. It was announced on September 4, 2014 at Internationale Funkausstellung Berlin[2] and released in October 2014.[3] It is a successor to the 2012 Nokia Lumia 820 and marketed as an "affordable flagship".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_Lumia_830

travisel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
All depending on the hardware they use! If they use the Snapdragon 810 there doomed! The Snapdragon 820 is released this November @the same time as Win10 Mobile is? I say New OS with New hardware! So far the Snapdragon 820 is said to be 40% faster and less power than the Snapdragon 810 is! Why would Microsoft give this up? I don't want to pay top dollar for a flagship with last generation hardware in it! Do you? If they put the 810 in it I'll find a way to put Win10 Mobile update in my Samsung ATIV S witch has WP8.1.1 now maybe get another year out of it?

GateCrasher84

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
I jumped ship recently after 5 years of windows phones and at the moment am using a Samsung Galaxy S6 but after about 6 weeks of Android i have had enough and am looking at going back to WP however i personally think the 950 in blue looks quite nice but i am not sure i want to wait another 3 or 4 months to get one so i am thinking of going for the 640xl

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Not staying with Windows Phone for my next contracting periods. Already have been with Windows Phone since WP7 - Omnia 7, 1020, 1520 and 640 XL. The OS has been improving, but apps situations are not much. Likewise with the market shares. Going for iPhone 6s soon. Will be back if only things are better.

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
The Nokia Lumia 830 is a smartphone developed by Microsoft Mobile and branded as "Nokia" that runs Microsoft's Windows Phone 8.1 operating system. It was announced on September 4, 2014 at Internationale Funkausstellung Berlin[2] and released in October 2014.[3] It is a successor to the 2012 Nokia Lumia 820 and marketed as an "affordable flagship".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_Lumia_830

Oh... a Wiki quote... it must be true.

You know good and well that the 830 began development before the acquisition was official. They didn't just throw the phone together in a few months - if they had, it would explain why it sucks so much.

Your responses are pedantic and illustrate that you don't really have a point or stance, but rather are looking to argue (and your doing a poor job at it when you have to ignore the core of my post and pick out one detail, but to simply quote a wiki entry as your responses...)

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
My plans are to view and personally hold one (the smaller one) ... see how it feels ... how it's balanced. Play with it a bit. I'll make a decision only then. I'm not sure how the 5.2 inch screen will agree with me. Will have to experience it first. Even then I may decided it's just too big for my liking ... who knows.

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Being on Verizon it depends on whether the 940/950 will work unlocked on their bands. It is unlikely but there is at least a rumor. I am not a fan of the design but with the specs and the removable battery I will buy it. If not then I will have to see what gets released on Verizon.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
See how much they cost, and how they look in person.

At point, either stick with the L830 for awhile more, go back to a L930, or make the jump to a L1520.

One thing I don't think I'll do is start rants here about how awful they are and how disappointed I am. When I left Android for Windows, I didn't make any big announcements on the Android forum - I just left.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3