My theory on why the 950 and XL designs kinda suck.

anon(8141431)

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
here's my theory. Nokia pioneered Polycarbonate design 2 years ago.
Then a lot of Chinese OEMs started following this trend with their own small additions. Their design was mostly uninspired except for some small touches.
Now instead of improving upon their own design, Microsoft is seeing those designs as the natural evolution of their Polycarbonate design and making a Frankenstein phone out of these designs.

it's a theory.

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I have a better theory. Phones just don't pop out of know where. It takes years to produce a phone from design to market. So I think MS is simply just finishing up some old Nokia designs that were already in the works, although with some tweaks. The next wave, perhaps including a Surface Phone, will be MS true phone vision.

Just a theory 😉

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
My theory is the phone have no "wow" effect :p but if they can deliver on functionality then we might not get bashed in the media as much :/

Sort of a Jekyll & Hyde thing lol

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
If MS disagreed with the design, they could've scrapped it, but all of the "big guys" at MS seemed to love the current design so much that they believed it would be loved by us as well.. Yes I agree, building a working and functional concept and model can take up a lot of time, but MS could've given it a shot if they didn't like whatever was already in the pipeline (i doubt that these are Nokia concepts, but I have no inside info, so I will at least consider the possibility that it might be sth Nokia had in the planning)

Joe Acerbic

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I have the best "theory": we haven't seen any designs, only renders not from Microsoft and a few fuzzy leaked photos, so we don't know what the phones will look like.

stevemind

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
My theory is having a metal phone with glass looks amazing , but completely stupid in real life. The amount of hassle when it smashes is funny. I love the poloycarb thing. More durable.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
My theory, I was waiting for a flagship that would rather be made out of Polycarbonate than Aluminium and glass that dents and breaks like chips. And to have a bigger removable battery and SD card. So yeah!

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
If MS disagreed with the design, they could've scrapped it, but all of the "big guys" at MS seemed to love the current design so much that they believed it would be loved by us as well.. Yes I agree, building a working and functional concept and model can take up a lot of time, but MS could've given it a shot if they didn't like whatever was already in the pipeline (i doubt that these are Nokia concepts, but I have no inside info, so I will at least consider the possibility that it might be sth Nokia had in the planning)

I think comments that people are making makes it hard for Microsoft to win. If they were to scrap this design, Windows Phone/Mobile fans would start to complain that there hasn't been a flagship in 3 years, like how they were doing before the idea of these were announced. It makes sense to me to just release the rest of the Nokia portfolio (with adjustments) so that they can have a fresh slate next year with mobile designs.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I have a better theory. Phones just don't pop out of know where. It takes years to produce a phone from design to market. So I think MS is simply just finishing up some old Nokia designs that were already in the works, although with some tweaks. The next wave, perhaps including a Surface Phone, will be MS true phone vision.

Just a theory ��

Find it hard to believe these bland bricks are Nokia designed. With their previous WP ranges their flagships have always been distinctive from the lower range models, ie the 920 was different from all lower models, the 1020 & 925 different again, the 1520 & 1320 launched together but were different, and the Icon/930/830 were different again to the lower end models. Microsoft takes over and suddenly the new flagship devices are perfect clones of the low end 640 and 640XL in their design and differ only in the camera humps at the back. Reeks of Microsoft's conservatism rather than the energy Nokia brought to WP for years.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I think comments that people are making makes it hard for Microsoft to win. If they were to scrap this design, Windows Phone/Mobile fans would start to complain that there hasn't been a flagship in 3 years, like how they were doing before the idea of these were announced. It makes sense to me to just release the rest of the Nokia portfolio (with adjustments) so that they can have a fresh slate next year with mobile designs.

Yes I get it :) but what I meant was that MS decided not to do flagships until w10m came out officially awhile back and im presuming that at that point they already had the concepts, because they kept reassuring us that those phones were coming and they were excited about them, so they had the time to change it up a bit, but they didn't. Which is why I think that these concepts are sth MS cooked up

millercrew5

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
What does it matter we are gonna put a case on it anyway! As long as the screen is awesome and the camera is great who cares about the back of the darn thing! Just my thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
My theory is very simple the phone needs to deliver without lag or resuming issues. Nobody cares about the "no body" majority have a case on it anyway. I would wait for 950xl (if that is its real name) user reviews on the performance and if it has the lag and nag and resume screens I will stick to 1020 which already has it anyway :D

mmcpher

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Flagship or not, there are design constraints imposed by the limitations inherent in the fact that since the touchscreen became standard, eyeballs, hands and fingers haven't evolved. So there is all this carrying on on the extreme design periphery about rounded vs. squared corners, materials (which mostly will be encased in a case anyway). Blackberry, with its Passport and with the pending release of the rumored "Venice" (slider), its all rectangular slabs of similar size, shape and weight. I confess to getting a kick on those vanity/luxury special releases of flagship phones, either gold-plated or evocative of some famous brand. But its a frivolous bit of conspicuous consumption rather than some real value.

Specs and build quality count a lot more for me. I guess it would be cool if we could have mini-Surfaces, but I'd still protect mine behind a case. And it is premature at best to say the design is lousy, whether you kinda sorta qualify it or not, before you have a chance to see and feel the phone in person.

Joshwin

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site
i like the specs.but not definitely the design at all.non of the MS lumia has nokias stunning boxy look and metal frame.Lumia 950 could have been a great design in 2006. but now its almost 2016. with other flashy flagships on rival platforms l950 will not stand a chance.to be on the spotlight in mobile market MS should at least make its flagships look stunning and entice everyone to buy one just for its look if not for the OS. look does matter.the rendered phone has too old design. reminds me of l320.

There is nothing exciting in this design for a long waited phone. why doesn't MS get users feedback for the desing of the phone as well(same as insider programme for software)? after all it is made purely for us customers only. its our phone and we are paying for it. I think MS should take customers taste into consideration while designing a phone.
L950.jpg
2oVs5oS.jpg

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Then a lot of Chinese OEMs started following this trend with their own small additions. Their design was mostly uninspired except for some small touches.
Now instead of improving upon their own design, Microsoft is seeing those designs as the natural evolution of their Polycarbonate design and making a Frankenstein phone out of these designs.

it's a theory.
Microsoft didn't make the designs, Nokia did. Please you guys need to stop this hate on Microsoft. Whether Microsoft bought Nokia or not, these were the flagships we were going to get.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I have the best "theory": we haven't seen any designs, only renders not from Microsoft and a few fuzzy leaked photos, so we don't know what the phones will look like.

I would suggest to wake up from your dream, and realize that yes these are real, and confirmed by a good number of credible sources.

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Nope you guys are all wrong, this is why. for two years Microsoft has done the low end. meanwhile other people ******** that No high end is hurting them. Ok want high end here toss in some pretty good specs slap it into a plastic body there yea go flagship specs= flagship phone. will it sell yea to the die-hearts it wont be a big sell and Microsoft can go back to the low end market saying hey, we gave you flagship it didn't work.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Nope you guys are all wrong, this is why. for two years Microsoft has done the low end. meanwhile other people ******** that No high end is hurting them. Ok want high end here toss in some pretty good specs slap it into a plastic body there yea go flagship specs= flagship phone. will it sell yea to the die-hearts it wont be a big sell and Microsoft can go back to the low end market saying hey, we gave you flagship it didn't work.

This is very "optimistic" view

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site

it's a theory.

Here's a render of the surface phone.

surface_phone_by_rvanhauwere-d563253.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3