Group Texting Errors? 1520 Dev Preview 8.1.1

Burger Nog

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
Hello comrades,
It may looks like a lot to read, but it's not. I appreciate your time and knowledge if you can help!

Since the 8.1.1 update, I've only run into one bug (break?) on my Lumia 1520. Here's an example what's happening every time I group text:

- Start a group message with 2 friends. Message sends fine. Top of the screen reads the names of the two recipients (Friend A, Friend B). Normal, right? BUT...
- Either one of the friends replies, a new, auto created thread which now lists 3 recipients, myself now being one of them. Recipients are now Friend A, Friend B, Myself.
- When I send messages, it shows my sent message, but then I also RECEIVE my own message, displaying my message TWICE (Once from me, once TO me). So in other words, if I send "Hello" it will show like it normally does, but then I receive "Hello" immediately after, as if it were someone else texting me, but it comes from my name and number.
- My original thread does nothing. No messages are going to it. This new thread is where all messages come and go from, including my double messages.
- I've asked my friends if they see my messages coming in twice, and they don't. So luckily I'm not annoying them.
- This does NOT happen in one on one texts. Just in groups

Any thoughts on this? I've looked long and hard to see if anyone else has run into this but zero luck. Yes, I've restarted. Yes, I've done a hard reset. Yes, I've completely reset my phone. Worst part? Nokia Recovery Tool won't recognize my phone with the 8.1.1, so I can't "roll back" to 8.1 without dev preview.

I hope I've explained this clearly enough. Any help at all is sincerely appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I experienced this the other day after updating to Update 1. I am using a 1520 too. I have no official method of fixing it, but mine is functioning properly now. All I did was go into settings, swipe left, and tap on messaging. Once there, I turned off the option for group messaging. Then, I backed all the way out and powered down my phone. After it completely turned off, I powered my phone on again, went back into messaging and turned group messaging back on. Then I powered my phone off and on again. Like I said, I have no idea if this actually did anything, but it fixed my messaging problem. Good luck.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Awesome! Glad it worked.
I just stumbled upon it in a moment of pure frustration. lol I was just trying everything. Glad you got yours working. :)

nitrocs

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
This is quite the fickle issue which has returned on my phone as well
Kinda upset since I deleted a lot of old group chats trying to weed this out

pdawg17

Jun 6, 2007
Visit site
Darn...still doesn't work on my 521...T-Mobile...

Interestingly my 925 on the same service using the same most recent preview does not have the problem...

Last edited:

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Well, I spoke too soon. Issue has appeared again. It seems to only happen when I group text the same three people, all of whom are using Galaxy S4's and S5's.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Just decided to keep replying to this thread whenever the group text incident arises for me as a way to collect data regarding the issue.

Friday, August 22 - The issue appeared again around 6:30 AM. Group texting two people: iPhone 4 and a Galaxy S4.
Curious thing happened just a after I got the messed up reply texts. I was driving to work, attempting to stream music from my phone over my Bluetooth connection in my truck. I got a "No Network Available" message from Pandora, Tunein Radio, MetroRadio Pro, and DI. I rebooted my phone, and was soon able to stream over the network again. Also, texts began to show up normally.

Phone: Lumia 1520
Network: AT&T

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Happened to me last night. Incoming group TXT with 2 Lumia 1020s and my Lumia 1520. I hard-booted my phone (power+vol down). That resolved the issue for me. 😎

Edit: All 3 phones are on AT&T.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3