Aptx Bluetooth in gdr1

gdobro

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
Hi all, anyone has any news about aptx in Bluetooth in the update 1? It isnt included in the official changelog but there are many other things that arent and we discovered them. Does anyone notice any chance of sound quality in theirs compatible atpx devices?

Thanks,
Gabo.

gdobro

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
Im receiving next week headphones Senheiser with aptx. I will post what can i ser with my Nokia 1020. But is weird the poor information that Microsoft gives of the matter. I bought the headphones because it was one of the new functions for update 1. And after that i read that maybe isnt included.

ricsip

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
You done one of the biggest mistakes the optimistic consumer can do: you totally believed what the PR-bullsh#tter managers told in their colored shiny Powerpoints, and you bought the product before the community has reviewed and dissected it piece by piece. Usually MS does the following: they announce a feature, they create a shiny PPT presentation, managers tell thats the best thing since the invention of the wheel. Gullible people believe the whole thing, and buy the product blindly. Then comes the cold reality: the feature works, BUUUUUUUT with certain limitations, you need to also buy this and that (not a single word in the PPT about such things) etc. etc. MS does this every time, but people dont seem to learn from past mistakes. Dont buy anything without reading a couple of HONEST reviews (dont trust paid journalists), read some forums (yes, this need 3-6 months to pass so the people who voluntarily betatestesting it on their own money can tell you their honest experience, so YOU dont have to waste money on the betatesting). When you feel the urge to consume, remember: you will become victim of the consumer society illness: buying products that are just a slightly better then the previous one, generating the need for something that people dont really need in fact.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Why blame MS? They don't say much, most of the things you read are based on leaks from people who have played with dev kits, and found stuff that implies feature x or y is present, and post assumptions to generate traffic to their website.

They are usually right, but taking a leak as gospel is silly, and raises false expectations.
Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_342 using Tapatalk

ricsip

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Dont take my comment literally, but rather generally.
And MS holds official product announcements, showcases where they quite usually successfully mislead their audience when some new feature is showcased before people can actually try it and realize they have been f#cked up by the presenter couple of months earlier.

DalekSnare

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
A couple people in the comments and on twitter have said they think that aptX has improved their sound. My 920 with GDR1 and no Cyan still sounds bad (I compared it to a GS3 with the same mp3 and aptX headset and the sound is not as clear). I'm hoping that it just requires the Cyan changes to BT, since we know 8.1 kind of broke BT with Black in several ways (cars don't show track progress, BT4LE stopped working, etc.). It would be nice if someone with Cyan could try it out and verify that it works.

EDIT: I have Cyan and the update now and can no longer detect a difference in sound quality between the GS3 and the L920. It works!

Last edited:

gdobro

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
Thanks ricsip for the advice. I dont have that type of experience with Microsoft. But yeah, in regular basis is good practice wait for tristes sources after the realease.
Now... It appear new information that indicates that it is included. In the Microsoft devs for gdr1 appear all the tecnical info of the versi?n and under Bluetooth it says: "Updated. Added new PAN 1.0 profile, aptX codec support for A2DP, and browsing support for AVRCP. Corrected Bluetooth icon states."
This is official info included after the realease... So it is included after all?!??!

Thanks.

matiu_00

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
You done one of the biggest mistakes the optimistic consumer can do. you totally believed what the PR-bullsh#tter managers told in their colored shiny Powerpoints, and you bought the product before the community has reviewed and dissected it piece by piece...
You shouldn't hijack threads like this. Stay on topic.

I'm running GDR1 on my 1520 w/cyan and I'm almost certain I'm streaming over apt-x to my Kinivo BTC450. I'll run a spectral analysis against a 925 cyan without GDR1 and post the proof along with lossless audio downloads to hear for yourself.

gdobro

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
Im receiving my aptx compatible Sennheiser headphones next week, and they work over cord also. Also I have a Bluetooth receiver that is not aptx compatible that I can connect the headphones to compare. I think the matiu test is more accurate but I think I can contribute to determine if or in which cases is working. I have a 1020 gdr1 with no cyan.

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm eager to do some aptX comparisons myself with GDR1 on my 1520. I should have these Matrix2 AF62 cans this weekend. Reviews were positive all around. Didn't want to spring for the JBLs just yet.

MEElectronics_Air-Fi_Matrix_AF62_1405878.jpg

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Keep us posted

No problem. I spent a few hours evaluating these headphones. Love the light weight feel and soft ear cups. To me they are actually more beautiful in person than the pictures.

Onto aptX. Well I can certainly tell the difference. I have some 24-bit albums that I listen to frequently. I fired them up using Moliplayer Pro on my Windows Phone. First of all I think that app has some issues. I got major stuttering in many of my 24-bit music files. Possibly due to the downsampling processing to 16-bit on the phone or other issues. I got the same stuttering with just using the headphone jack, so I know it isn't a Bluetooth bandwidth problem.

Issues aside, I can tell a major difference in fidelity. I tend to use "Lorde - White Teeth Teens" as a good test track and it sounds great when MoliPlayer Pro isn't stuttering.

The bad side of this is that I'm sending these headphones back and going for the JBLs like I originally intended. I just don't like the sound stage of these MEElectronics headphones. Too shallow for me.

So, next up. These from B&H. :excited:

JBL-S400BT-Headphones.jpg

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
No problem. I spent a few hours evaluating these headphones. Love the light weight feel and soft ear cups. To me they are actually more beautiful in person than the pictures.

Onto aptX. Well I can certainly tell the difference. I have some 24-bit albums that I listen to frequently. I fired them up using Moliplayer Pro on my Windows Phone. First of all I think that app has some issues. I got major stuttering in many of my 24-bit music files. Possibly due to the downsampling processing to 16-bit on the phone or other issues. I got the same stuttering with just using the headphone jack, so I know it isn't a Bluetooth bandwidth problem.

Issues aside, I can tell a major difference in fidelity. I tend to use "Lorde - White Teeth Teens" as a good test track and it sounds great when MoliPlayer Pro isn't stuttering.

The bad side of this is that I'm sending these headphones back and going for the JBLs like I originally intended. I just don't like the sound stage of these MEElectronics headphones. Too shallow for me.

So, next up. These from B&H. :excited:

View attachment 76159
OK. So after a few days I can say that these headphones sound nice (if you are an extreme bass head). Again I can detect the increased fidelity of my lossless files. It's not all that great though. There is some interference that is detectable on silent parts of a song. Kind of annoying. This was detectable too on the AF62 headphones. I tried moving away from anything else electronic but that didn't do the trick.

Outside of all that, I believe aptX to be a winner. Glad this technology at least made it to Windows Phone.

The scary thing about these headsets is that there were three booklets that pertained to radiation. Lol. So, bet on putting your head in more of a slow cooker when you go wireless.

There must be a federal mandate about radiation disclosure because my car's manual talks about how the passenger seat compartment is flooded with more radiation when you use the car's built in cellphone option.

Yikes right?!

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
What good is a thread without a few more pics? :cool:

DUNVMewl.jpg

aepjgSvl.jpg

GWJyKhxl.jpg

I like the headsets, but they are definitely more boom boom pow than I normally like. For my normal listening I'll stick to my MK2's.

What we need now with aptX is an EQ over Bluetooth. So far it's only available over wired headphones. All these cans need are some tweaking and they'll be perfect for wireless.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes