How I fixed 0x80188308 for my Lumia 920

secondsight

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

This is my first post here. I have had a Lumia 920 on EE (UK) since it came out and decided to try the developer updates. Everything installed fine and that got me to 8.10.12400.899 .

Then the other day GDR1 came out and it failed each time with error 0x80188308.

What I did to solve this was back everything up and start afresh. I did a hard reset in other words. I followed this

For hardreset you should follow these steps ****but be warned this will return your phone to factory setting and you will lose all on there if you dont back up.......****

1. Power off your phone
2. Press -volume down + power
3. After phone powers on, release the powerkey but keep pressing volume down-
4. After display showing exclamation mark, release volume down
5. Press and release volume up
6. Press and release volume down
7. Press and release power key
8. Press and release volume down

After doing this (which scrubs everything as said above) the first thing I did was re-install the Preview for Developers App. I then searched for updates again and it found GDR1. This time it installed fine and I now have Cortana etc.

:cool:

Thinking laterally the twitter post from Joe Belfiore said it all.....
"Still working on the "low storage" install prob 80188308. Note, this is not USER storage you can clear- it's install partition. Sit tight."
Doing a hard reset must affect the install partition storage in some way.
Its a radical solution I know, but it worked for me.

The thing I have noticed so far is that my phone is running much cooler with whatsapp, skype etc. Before it would get rather warm....

Hope this helps someone

Regards

Chris

Last edited:

toxictavrn

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
well, i basically did the same thing and it worked for me
Lumia 822, kept getting the 0x80188308 error

factory reset my phone, and i now have the latest update,so far everything is working as it should!

Phillwin

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
Hi - I was wondering whether this is actually fixable without doing a hard reset.

My assumption is that apps installed on the phone are using the install partition as well as the operating system.

I've got a lot of apps on my 920 and I'm wondering if I uninstall a lot of the apps whether it'll free up space on the install partition.

just a thought - but I'm not sure it'll clean up when I uninstall apps.

might give it a go if I don't hear of a fix - might be worth a try.

tboy2000

May 29, 2012
Visit site
There has to be a way without hard resetting. No way am I losing all my progress in my games and starting from scratch. We shouldn't have to 'format' our phones just to install an Update. This is ridiculous!!!

philhachey

Banned
Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
I did a similar thing today and it worked for me too.

Since cyan just got released for my phone (L920 on Rogers Canada) I decided to use the Lumia Software tool to downgrade and upgrade as is recommended on wpcentral.

This had the same effect and now I'm starting out with everything fresh and new feeling.

Also, any Xbox games save your progress and quite a few games back up to OneDrive. IDK where Modern Combat 5 backs up to, but it remembered where I was as soon as I reinstalled it.

tboy2000

May 29, 2012
Visit site
If I was to do a hard reset are all my game saves and apps safe on my sd card. Would the os automatically detect the the app data once apps reinstalled.

secondsight

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
Doing a hard reset puts it back to WP 8.0 which knows nothing about apps on a SD card afaik. If it were me I would do the hard reset, install GDR1 as above and then the apps on the SD card should be recognised. There is a tutorial called "How to install apps from SD Card to your Windows Phone ( Explained Method )". It looks quite manual rather than automatic.

Please be advised though that I have never tried this and my 920 does not even have a SD card.

paulinoz

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
There is a way to do it without hard resetting, it involves waiting for MS to provide a corrected installation package. We won't have to format our phones unless something really crazy has gone wrong. This is a Developer Preview and it WILL have more bugs than a normal release. We will have to be patient. I'm annoyed that I'm in what appears to be the minority whose upgrade bug is yet been fixed. Like you I have to wear it as that's what DPs are about, finding and fixing stuff before the general public get freaked by them.

j_the_geek

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Remember this is a preview, not the full release.

I, finally, managed to get GDR1 onto my 920 last night using a different method. Having auto-backup on meant I didn't really loose anything (or not that I've noticed yet).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos