**List of phones that has Windows phone 8.1 Update 2 (officially)**

Dave47

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
I guess I'm confused!

In reviewing Microsoft info from the phone (by selecting (Cyan in Extra's + Info), the 635 on AT&T is supposed to be able to receive the update to Denim. I have an unlocked Post Paid AT&T Nokia 635 on AT&T paying the normal monthly fee, not Go Phone. I received some update about a week ago, thought it was going to be Denim, but it was some stability type update as indicated. When I check Extra's + Info, Cyan is still listed.

Now I know I can install the Win Preview Program update to go to Win 10 and the first update will be Denim, then the other updates, but I was hoping to get it naturally from AT&T.

Any detailed suggestions on best way to proceed.

If your phone's SKU is 6561A, this 635 has not received the update yet. SKU 6599A did get Denim starting on June 9.
The SKU can be found on the box the 635 came in.

I have a 6561A - the GoPhone, but have a ATT SIM installed, in other words not using it as a GoPhone, but no Denim yet.

Skier7667

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site
OK - where do I find the SKU number?

I can't find anything that says SKU nor even numbers that relate to a number configuration something like 6599A or 6561A.

Checked both in About and Extra's + Info. Phone was purchased directly from Microsoft Online Store, so it is not a non- US market phone. Still shows the AT&T logo when you hard boot it up.

Searcher2015

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
I hope someone will respond to my question.

I am urgently trying to get past the AT&T non-support of Update 2 and full Denim support.
I spoke with MS employee who said if the phone were unlocked it would be able to receive OTA update.

I have received unlock code and I have purchased a ConsumerCellular Sim. Can I remove the ATT SIM replace with CC SIM apply the unlock code procedure. Once complete and turned off, can I insert the ATT SIM to properly work or will that phone no longer function on the ATT Network even with an ATT SIM inserted? I want the Update 2 but I do not want to kick myself off of the ATT Network.

Please respond if you have experience or a complete understanding of this situation. I am fearful of proceeding.

Thank you very much...

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi fellow Windows Phone users. Can I ask that you put your phone model into this forum if you have gotten Windows phone 8.1 update 2 without the Windows insider or reg edit hack, I'm trying to get an accurate picture of what devices have officially received the update.

Thanks.
?ire
Verizon 735 has Update 2 installed out of the box.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
djeire84, you should update your first post and add the list from everyone responding throughout the thread so we'll have a place to look for it and not have to figure it out each time returning to this thread. ;)

I hope someone will respond to my question.

I am urgently trying to get past the AT&T non-support of Update 2 and full Denim support.
I spoke with MS employee who said if the phone were unlocked it would be able to receive OTA update.

I have received unlock code and I have purchased a ConsumerCellular Sim. Can I remove the ATT SIM replace with CC SIM apply the unlock code procedure. Once complete and turned off, can I insert the ATT SIM to properly work or will that phone no longer function on the ATT Network even with an ATT SIM inserted? I want the Update 2 but I do not want to kick myself off of the ATT Network.

Please respond if you have experience or a complete understanding of this situation. I am fearful of proceeding.

Thank you very much...

That will successfully unlock your phone. However, unlocking your phone has nothing to do with being dependent on a carrier for providing the update. The carrier is responsible, not because the phone is locked to their network, but because it is their firmware that they send over the air. That's my understanding of it. Until AT&T sends you the update OTA, you're probably stuck. Sorry for the bad news.

Skier7667

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site
I contacted AT&T. Was on phone with rep in US for 1 1/2 hours. He was in the process of running a test, got disconnected. So I called back. A different rep answered. She advised me that their Clarify and Intelligence systems were down. Apparently these are the internal names for their systems to track and to research issues across the network for the multitude of phones they have to support.

It was 3 AM EDT on Sunday at this point. So there was not much she could do, but to let the next rep when I call back to check these systems cause they were down for maintenance.

Called on Sunday around 2 PM. Another rep answered and couldn't find any info in the system. Wanted to know what was so important about Denim and didn't I get the update already. Told her this update has been released by MS for over 8 months now to AT&T and some have received it on their Lumia 635 circa June 2015, but others like myself have not. She didn't seem to be familiar all that much with Windows Lumia phones, which had me concerned. LOnce I explained the names, Lollipop for Android, she got the message, ha! ha!

She looked in the system, asked me a few more questions, had me take the battery out to check for a white strip that detects water damage. Then called me back.

At that time she advised me that based on her documentation, the only way to resolve the problem with the OS Version I have which is 8.1012397.895 (confirmed by the other rep as not being the latest), would be to replace the phone.

The other rep was going to see if he could find a way to push this OS Version out to me so that I would be on the correct OS Version and then receive the Denim update OTA (wireless). Really nice guy!

Well since my phone is still under warranty, she indicated they are sending me a new phone this week and I can return the current one I have with the box they will provide. That phone since it new, should have the latest OS Version, firmware and Denim update etc., but if not, then it should download automatically.

I will see in a few days. Had the phone been out of warranty, I don't know what they would have attempted, but I think the answer would have been - "Sorry, nothing we can do".

Just wanted to post my finding here so far to the others.

Will post again once I get the new phone to see what transpires.
The carriers just make this impossible.

I can only imagine what would have happened with the millions upon millions of iPhones that are out there, it Apple wasn't able to get all those phones firmware updates and security updates when needed. It would have been a total disaster for AT&T. I'm sure Apple would have taken the matter in their own hands, whether the carriers liked it or not.

Can't wait till Microsoft take a solid grip on the updates for their phones like they do for their operating systems. Maybe the new Surface Phones next year will allow the updates directly from MS, just like Windows 10 updates, since all their devices will be running on Windows 10 - one platform for all.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Just wanted to post my finding here so far to the others.

Will post again once I get the new phone to see what transpires.
The carriers just make this impossible.

Yes, the carriers can make it quite difficult. Once we get our phones on W10M though, Microsoft gets to take over pushing out the updates and you won't be bound to the carrier for it any longer.

I noticed by going through this thread that you never were able to locate your SKU number. Sorry I was amiss on this before. Go to the Store on your phone, and search for AIDA64. Install it. Run it. This little program will give you all kinds of info about your phone. On the first page you see, "System", you will find the SKU listed. Get that and post back here what is listed there. Perhaps where AT&T has failed to understand your issue, I can help you find out what is really going on. When the new phone arrives, do the same thing again and let us know what the SKU is on the new one. It's possible they will try to send you a GoPhone version which won't help. Post back with the SKUs and we'll see what we can do.

Skier7667

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site
Hi Rhapdog,

Thanks for the reply. I just downloaded AIDA64 - wow, neat app, like it!!!

Here's the SKU and other info on my current phone. New phone won't arrive till Saturday, maybe Friday.
Device Model: Nokia Lumia 635
Device Type: Phone
Manufacturer: NOKIA
Product Name: RM-975_1005
SKU: NOKIA RM-975_1005
Device Name: Lumia 635
Hardware Version: 3.2.1.
Firmware Version: 01061.00070.14246.29017
Root Device Manufacturer: Nokia
Root Device Model: P6112_ATT
Root Device Category: Computer.Portable
Installed RAM: 512 MB
Internal Storage Capacity: 4968 MB
Internal Storage Free Space: 3611 MB
External Storage Capacity: 59.45 GB
External Storage Free Space: 48.23 GB

<<< Windows >>>

Operating System: Windows Phone 8.1
Windows Version: 6.3.9651.0
App Memory Usage Limit: 185 MB
UpTime: 2 days, 20:58:01

You indicated they will possibly send me "a GoPhone version which won't help". That is what I have. The AT&T rep though felt the issue was tied to the OS Version which is 8.1012397.895 and that is listed on the phone, but wasn't picked up by this downloaded App.

I'll have to wait and see. So you are telling me that if they send me another phone with the same SKU I currently have, I'm going in circles - is that correct.

I imagine her logic is that new phones coming from their inventory likely have the latest updates and if so, then this should cure the update issue. It might have been the easy way for her to deal with this and not spend 1 1/2 on the phone perform diagnosis like the previous reps.

If I do get the same SKU, do you think I can then ask for the correct SKU?

You know the more I write & think about this, the more irritating it is because I think of all the people that have these phones and don't know how they have been "pistol-whipped" needlessly by the carriers, have the their vacuumed from their pockets, accepted it and allowed it to happen.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, the RM_975_1005 is the GoPhone version, and AT&T is specifically NOT pushing the update OTA to that version. If you want it, you'll have to do some firmware flashing to get it, and that's not pretty.

You can expect the GoPhone also not to ever get upgraded to Windows 10 by AT&T. You'll have to go Windows Insider, then, once you have it on your phone and once it's been officially released, you can opt out of the program and just get normal Windows 10 updates. It's a way around the carriers at least.

There are only a couple of benefits that I got out of going Denim and GDR2 with the 635. It's more noticeable on other phones, but the 635 gives limited boost.
#1: Your settings are better organized into categories and it is easier to find what your looking for.
#2: You have an equalizer, but you have to be using a compatible accessory like wired stereo headphones. Doesn't work with Bluetooth for some reason.

That's all you're going to get out of it. It's really not worth the hassle. I say wait for Windows 10 and get it through the Insider program.

Skier7667

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site
So you indicate I have the "GoPhone version" - which means the other version is Lumia 635, but not GoPhone, different RM number.

Well I would have to imagine that on my profile on their end they can see that I have a GoPhone version, so that is exactly what they will send me, same RM # I currently have. What is the other RM #?

If that is the case, then you think it is best to enroll the phone in the Insider Program, update it that way, then deresiger from the program and the normal Update for Win 10 will down load automatically.

I've enrolled in the Insider Program before, but the first phone update was just so, well you know!!!! - that I decided to roll it back to the way it was and hence it's back on Cyan. The update did take me first to Denim and then to the Preview Win 10 software for the phone. I'm on the Insider Program for my Surface Pros 1 & 3 and that has gone fine.

There is one thing I did notice. When you so online to AT&T it knows your phone, lists a whole bunch of things - in my case the Lumia 635. I noticed when it switched to the Insider Program, the phone didn't appear anylonger and there was no way to add it either. It only found my previous phone - the Lumia 900.

You also said: "You can expect the GoPhone also not to ever get upgraded to Windows 10 by AT&T. You'll have to go Windows Insider, then, once you have it on your phone and once it's been officially released, you can opt out of the program and just get normal Windows 10 updates. It's a way around the carriers at least"

So even after Win Phone 10 update comes out, I'll never-ever get it cause this is a GoPhone from AT&T. If I enroll again in the Windows Insider Program, after Win 10 is officially released, upgrade, then opt out, I'll continue to get the Win 10 Updates.

But from whom if I opt out of the program - Microsoft OR AT&T?

Skier7667

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site
I received the phone. I can see the SKU number on a huge white label in the battery compartment.
The SKU # is S599A
Date Code: 300315
Another round stick indicates: XPOR 7/15

Need a magnifying glass for the RM # as it was listed looks like RM975, but nothing after it. So likely need to put the SIM and battery in, install AIDA64 app to get the details to see if they sent me another Go Phone again.

Skier7667

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site
Good News!

Continued - opened old phone, took battery out and inserted it into the new phone. It booted up and went through the typical first time Win Phone setup, MS account, etc. Everything transferred fine and when I checked, the phones firmware was Denim - came that way, no update was required. Then I opened it up again and inserted SIM from other phone and Micro SD card. Apps started to update, download and install and everything seems fine. So once I had access to the phone, I checked the Manufacturer Name: RM-975-1035.

You're correct, the UI with Denim is nothing out of this world, but if it means getting updates and updating to Win 10 easier. then I would guess it does the trick. Not sure if I would jump to the Insider Program again for the phone at this point as it is my main phone.

So AT&T sending me the phone appears to have been the solution - certainly the fastest to get to Denim an the most expensive for them. They do provide the return box and label for return - they pick up the entire tab from sending me the phone to getting it back.

Now I guess to wait till Win Phone10 is released - will AT&T push it out on this Lumia 635 phone or will Microsoft?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa