Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

So I am talking 2 a rep about plans and such, thinking of switching from sprint, and I say hey what about global phones?

The rep proceeds 2 tell me well any phone that has LTE is a global phone and roaming ready because it uses a sim card. Correct me if I'm wrong but even though LTE is based on GSM technologies, you can't just roam right?
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Right, you can't unless your phone is unlocked. As I understand it Verizon won't allow you to unlock it until your contract is up.

I think what the rep meant is that all of their Lte phones are global ready. They can't use other carriers Lte though. And I'm pretty sure they are already unlocked and ready for any sim card. But I can't confirm this with a source. I'll have to get back to you after finding a source.

From what I have found according to a engadet article. At least the HTC 8x from Verizon comes unlocked out of the box.

So that is interesting, does that mean because of the extra LTE radio Verizon and possibly Sprint phones, can also do GSM roaming or I should clarify, these phones are not just CDMA/LTE capable but potentially CDMA/GSM/LTE capable phones?

Global Posts
    400 Global Posts
    I think all the Verizon LTE phones are unlocked. If their advertised as a World phone they would have to be to accept another carriers SIM.
    Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express

Global Posts
    2,608 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by moegumby View Post
    I think all the Verizon LTE phones are unlocked. If their advertised as a World phone they would have to be to accept another carriers SIM.
    Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express
    In the Windows Mobile days, a Verizon "world" phone meant it came with a Vodaphone SIM pre-installed. Since Vodaphone & Verizon are one big happy family, they can get away with that kind of advertising. Yes, it's a world phone, but it's locked to their corporate master.

Pretty much every Verizon phone that is out there supports GSM these days. The question is whether it's SIM locked or not. The Trophy comes locked to the pre-installed Vodaphone SIM, as fatclue mentioned. But I thought I remember reading that the 8X and the 822 are both SIM unlocked.

Thanks I was really getting confused, while I knew they had a CDMA radio and Verizon also had a LTE radio, I wasn't quite sure if that LTE radio could be used to work on GSM frequencies(pending carrier unlock of course)