Thinking of switching to Verizon, what's your honest opinion?

jswantek

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
My contract with AT&T is almost up, and once my 920 goes, I won't be able to get a phone on AT&T with Qi charging. I'm looking at the Lumia Icon, and it's a very nice phone. My question is, how is the service with Verizon? What's their history with customer care, update releases, anything and everything? Can someone fill me in? Am I making the right decision?

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I'm been with Verizon, 19 years. I can't compare it to anyone other service since I haven't used anyone else. Yet, I can tell you the coverage is tops. Never had an issue with coverage. I've read complaints about their customer service but I never paid any attention to them because I have nothing but good experiences with their customer service. The cost is normally higher than other cellular services but I always came from the camp you get what you pay for.

Sent from my DX4860 using Tapatalk

TrustySnooze

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I've never really had an issue with their service but they do love their Androids and my HTC Trophy never got WP7.8 while I still haven't heard anything about getting the next Lumia firmware update on my Lumia 928.

Most Verizon reps seriously try pushing Android down your throat and there doesn't seem to be effort in updating their Windows Phones.

I haven't really had much customer care experiences to talk about that.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I spent about 2 years and some change with Verizon before switching to AT&T. Never had any trouble with them. I could always keep a phone call without dropping. I don't know about using them for data because those were my pre-data days. AT&T on the other hand has always been tops in its class for me. Don't plan to abandon them any time soon.

csiguy1

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
Depends on your local coverage area. Verizon has always had the best coverage in my area but AT@T is getting better. Just depends where you live.

jswantek

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the input folks. I'm pretty sure I'll be good with coverage and service, but how good is Verizon with things like OS and firmware updates? Do they keep those rolling out?

anon6002755

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Updates can be slow. We are still waiting on cyan for Lumia devices. My G2 was the last to get updated in comparison to the other carriers.
Sent from my...

CombatRock

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Updates can be very slow. Awaiting Cyan and I just ordered the Icon bypassing the HTC that already has Cyan. Love my Lumia 822 but want a bigger screen and better camera.

pmhgeneral

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Updates can be very slow. Awaiting Cyan and I just ordered the Icon bypassing the HTC that already has Cyan. Love my Lumia 822 but want a bigger screen and better camera.
Same here, waiting to get the icon in December unless another device shows up and is better spec's.

anon6002755

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Same here, waiting to get the icon in December unless another device shows up and is better spec's.

I really hope that there is a new flagship on the radar at the time. I wouldn't expect it to ship since the icon would be less than a year old at the time. Buy maybe for there to be leaks. If not that would be added to the list of negatives for Verizon.

negative1ne

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
left verizon for t-mobile and have never looked back.

decent coverage at verizon, terrible customer service and horrible windows phone support made me leave.

later

wingson

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I think you can still get the 1020 on att, has qi charging, not built in though, need a new case. I do like that feature, considering how these live tiles or whatever, uses so much battery, do others? I know turn down background apps, heck even airplane mode if your desperate, but I'm always charging.

I heard the Apple family over at CNET are complaing how their beloved iPhones are drawing too much power with new OS update..feel bad for them😁

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Are you going on a 2 year contract or off-contract? As many others have stated, the coverage is probably the best in the US, but they are slow with updates. I always advise people to try 1 month on the prepaid to judge for themselves. A 2 year commitment can seem like a lifetime if you're not getting the service you need.

kurtd

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
The only thing good about Verizon is their coverage... I would stay far away from Verizon because they care less about their Windows Phone customers for 3 reasons:

1. They still haven't released 8.1 or cyan for the Lumia icon and haven't given a date or said a peep about it.

2. They remove the visual voicemail app that's built into Windows Phone and then charge you 2.99 a month to get it back. Yet Android and iPhone users can get basic visual voicemail for free.

3. They have some stupid Verizon backup assistant built into the icon and the only way to remove it is to use the date trick and change the date way in advance.

My advice is to stay with at&t or switch to T-Mobile. ATT seems to be quick at releasing updates. T-Mobile you could get the 1520.3. I'd probably wait till t-mobile has a 930.

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Do yourself a favor. Don't. I'm fed up with them delaying the cyan update. The coverage is great, but thats it. Terrible company.

Get an unlocked 1520 and it will have both 32GB and QI charging. The locked version doesn't have that.

jonty12

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I live just north of NYC. Switched to VZ about 18 months ago. AT&T was much better for me in terms of data speed and coverage. I switched because a North America option they give that AT&T doesn't (well, at least not at a comparable price). That's the only thing that has stopped me from switching back.

jswantek

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, I appreciate all the feedback. AT&T had their turns with slow updates and such, so I think that's a wash. I do like having visual voice mail without having to pay for it, but at the same time I'd miss wireless charging. I know Verizon has great coverage around here, so I guess it's pretty much a coin toss.

Thanks again.

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
AT&T may or may not have been first in the past, but that doesn't make them slow. To my knowledge they have always done a good job with updating WP phones. This Cyan update issue with T-Mo and Verizon seems to be a first.

Thanks, I appreciate all the feedback. AT&T had their turns with slow updates and such, so I think that's a wash. I do like having visual voice mail without having to pay for it, but at the same time I'd miss wireless charging. I know Verizon has great coverage around here, so I guess it's pretty much a coin toss.

Thanks again.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
One thing to keep in mind is AT&t will always have an overall advantage in WP availability and variety. They adhere to the world GSM standard making bringing a world phone to at&t a breeze wheares verizon will always have to have their own varient.

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I switched from tmo to att to ver, never looked back I love ver. Best in slot. Best customer service. I keep reading bout people with bad experience but idk. They always played it nice with me.

Greet me at the door
Hold the door open
Ask for my number to put me on waiting lists
Call me sir and stuff formal language

And they get stuff done.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mietaz