The Verizon Debacle

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I've said this before; if Apple and Google (and Motorola) can do it, Microsoft can do it as well. The question is: will they?

I would bet no, the only real info we've had is that Microsoft cant be bothered with Verizon anymore so its doubtful they will make the effort. And seeing as WP sales on Verizon trail those of AT&T, T-Mobile and even Cricket https://www.thurrott.com/mobile/windows-phone/4869/windows-phone-usage-stats-for-july-2015 don't think anyone can blame them.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I wonder too if Microsoft will enable the unlocked flagship(s) for Verizon. We know it's possible. It probably depends, at least partially, on how much it costs to include the hardware for Verizon. It would streamline the process in that it eliminates a version if they wish to support Verizon, but how many would sell? If the cost is not too great, it would make sense to support the US's largest carrier.

No US carrier is outstanding in supporting WP. It sounds like Microsoft will basically be on their own with unlocked phones, at least initially. This will in effect negate any small advantage Microsoft would have to cater to a carrier such as AT&T, who has at least made the appearance of supporting WP in the past. Verizon, being the largest US carrier, would be the most important for Microsoft.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Only thing is, from the numbers in the link I posted Verizon being the largest carrier hasn't proved to be any help to the fortunes of WP in the US, as they are actually behind carriers that have smaller subscriber bases. They have more users but when they refuse to sell the devices to them what's the point? So while its often repeated here that WP needs to be on Verizon to succeed, the reality is that Verizon is not as influential as some believe or hope.

And I think as long as Microsoft has a presence on AT&T and other carriers with devices they feel they can sell they can sell unlocked with no real negative effect on carrier sales

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
They have more users but when they refuse to sell the devices to them what's the point?

By the way it sounds no carrier is going to be selling Talkman and Cityman, at least not initially. This removes any advantage by AT&T over Verizon in the support area. The MVNOs sell the cheap models anyway, so the upcoming flagships don't apply there.

So while its often repeated here that WP needs to be on Verizon to succeed, the reality is that Verizon is not as influential as some believe or hope.

Well, it could be argued that WP has not succeeded, at least not in the US. It has a negligible presence in the US, and dropping. Maybe they need Verizon's support. It certainly couldn't hurt!

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
By the way it sounds no carrier is going to be selling Talkman and Cityman, at least not initially. This removes any advantage by AT&T over Verizon in the support area. The MVNOs sell the cheap models anyway, so the upcoming flagships don't apply there.

I think one of the recent articles stated AT&T was likely to get the 940/50 whichever one that is but the larger XL wasn't mentioned as having a carrier. These two (plus the 840 mentioned later) were the only device expected to be released this year so it wouldn't make sense to go with only the unlocked option for both their new Win 10 showcase devices. I'd bet the article was right and ATT gets one at least at launch.

Well, it could be argued that WP has not succeeded, at least not in the US. It has a negligible presence in the US, and dropping. Maybe they need Verizon's support. It certainly couldn't hurt!

Well its going to be kind of hard from all the way back in fourth position behind Cricket and Tmo, cant see that amount of effort from Verizon to push WP.....

smunro622

May 30, 2015
Visit site
I got fed up and got rid of Verizon, they screwed up the previous Nexus launches with Google, and now with the Nexus 6 line they only carry the 32 gig version. They are the worst to get updates from and I had had enough. I went to Cricket and use my 1520 with no issues and in the same places I used Verizon.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I wonder too if Microsoft will enable the unlocked flagship(s) for Verizon. We know it's possible. It probably depends, at least partially, on how much it costs to include the hardware for Verizon. It would streamline the process in that it eliminates a version if they wish to support Verizon, but how many would sell? If the cost is not too great, it would make sense to support the US's largest carrier.

It's not a hardware issue. With SoC technology, the chips come with ALL of the radios built in to them. It's just a matter of whether or not the radio is turned on by the chip maker and then supported in the firmware.

The Snap Dragon 808 is no exception and is the exact same chip that the LG G4 uses.

http://system-on-a-chip.specout.com/l/1107/Qualcomm-Snapdragon-808-MSM8992

Last edited:

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Actually, the corners are round. The only reason they look squared in that pic is because the phone has a case on it designed to hide it's true design. But very clearly has round corners.

Let me revise my statement then. It has the same blocky rectangular look that just about every other Lumia has. Which, is in my opinion, a good thing. I like the shape of the Lumias.

bamakore

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
you can take this with a grain of salt but was just in a corporate Verizon store hear in Decatur,Alabama to get my Icon a new sim to play around with windows 10 being its a spare phone now and the lady said that they were getting the 950/950XL which kinda surprised me.....thought i would never hear that from a person working there but then added if you own a xbox one or a windows 10 PC then a windows phone is what you would perfer for a minute thought she was a microsoft rep. but no she works for Verizon so maybe this will be a true statement

sph0308

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
The thought just occurred to me.... It hasn't been all that long since Verizon became a payment option in my phone's wallet. How bad can the relationship be if they've recently added carrier billing as an option?

Also VZ just brought out the 735...if they were abandoning MS why would they bring out a mid tier phone ? Why a 735 and not a 950 XL ?

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
you can take this with a grain of salt but was just in a corporate Verizon store hear in Decatur,Alabama to get my Icon a new sim to play around with windows 10 being its a spare phone now and the lady said that they were getting the 950/950XL which kinda surprised me.....thought i would never hear that from a person working there but then added if you own a xbox one or a windows 10 PC then a windows phone is what you would perfer for a minute thought she was a microsoft rep. but no she works for Verizon so maybe this will be a true statement

That doesn't really surprise me. I was talking to a rep here in Hawaii and she said that it makes sense to offer a Windows phone to somebody using Windows. If the person is a Mac user, she said it makes more sense to steer them towards an iPhone. Android can go either way...

to_be_announced

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site

This would be FANTASTIC!! We shall see though.

Doctor_Who

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

Really? Well I hope that Verizon rep wasn't just pulling your leg. We've got a lot of expenses right now, so will just have to stay where I'm at while I pay off other unexpected expenses.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Really? Well I hope that Verizon rep wasn't just pulling your leg. We've got a lot of expenses right now, so will just have to stay where I'm at while I pay off other unexpected expenses.

If history has taught us anything, it's that Verizon Store Reps know absolutely nothing about future Windows Phones.

My three year old niece probably has a better grasp on Verizon's future Windows Phone offerings than any given Verizon retail employee.

Mr. Macphisto, Tcman88, and Daniel Rubino are the only people I'd trust in the least to deliver that kind of news.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
So you're saying that you think that the 950 will be GSM & CDMA and able to operate on both AT&T and Verizon?

How is that unprecedented? The Icon works on both AT&T's and Verizon GSM and CDMA networks respectively. Just not on AT&T's LTE network. CDMA and GSM are not mutually exclusive. The simple fact of the matter is that all current SoC have GSM, LTE, CDMA, BT, and WiFi radios built in. All it takes is the chip OEM (Qualcomm in this case) enable the radios and to allow them to work with certain bands, then provide the firmware to the OS manufacturer to support it. It's not a hardware issue at all.

dksf42

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
tgp, I never used the word "conspiracy". There is an attitude in Verizon corporate against Microsoft. It's that simple, and is not speculative.

The vast majority of people walk into a phone store and ask for recommendations. I've observed staff direct people to phones that did not meet, at all, the needs as expressed by the client. I've seen people afterwards struggle to make phones work for them while they wait for two years to have the next upgrade.

When I show people a Windows phone, they are amazed at how easy it is to use. When they see the photos, they are totally impressed. I happen to also have an iPhone 6+ ( needed for job related apps ). The Lumia Icon always wins with photo quality. The integration of features in the Lumia really impresses people, as does the voice quality. After I show the phone, people often ask "Why didn't they show me this one at the store?" Ask the sales person and he will say "I never demo those phones. I don't really know much about them." In fact, a couple told me they had never sold one, and the others had only done so when someone asked for it specifically.

People are loyal to Windows Phones because they are well built, and have some excellent features. Sales are dependent on retail staff, and if they don't make people aware of a product, they won't consider it. If I ran a Verizon store, and if they reinstated the Icon, plus had demo models of the M8 Windows version, and the new low end, I'd guarantee sales would outpace the other stores because every sales person would be solidly trained to work with clients to find the best solution for their needs, which would include an acquaintance with Windows Phones and iPhones, not just Android.

It's not conspiracy, but it is attitude.

All right, open to any and all ... WILL Verizon get "any form" of the latest Cityman and/or Talkman ... NOW that there are "NO contracts"?

Anyone else?

Doctor_Who

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
How is that unprecedented? The Icon works on both AT&T's and Verizon GSM and CDMA networks respectively. Just not on AT&T's LTE network. CDMA and GSM are not mutually exclusive. The simple fact of the matter is that all current SoC have GSM, LTE, CDMA, BT, and WiFi radios built in. All it takes is the chip OEM (Qualcomm in this case) enable the radios and to allow them to work with certain bands, then provide the firmware to the OS manufacturer to support it. It's not a hardware issue at all.

Really? That is interesting.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077