The Verizon Debacle

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Yes really... The Icon is GSM capable. It works very well on both AT&T's and T-Mobile's GSM networks. It doesn't work on their respective LTE networks though. There are a few threads over in the Icon forum that talk about it. The issue they have is getting MMS to work. Though, several people have managed to get that to work as well.

And for the record, there are people who have even managed to get the Icon to work on AT&T's LTE network. Those are few and far between though. They happen to live in an area where AT&T's LTE network works in the bands that the Icon is compatible with.

Patrick McConnell1

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site
The northeast doesn't see much difference between AT&T and Verizon. If Verizon doesn't carry the flagship Lumias I will be switching to AT&T. If Verizon wants my business they have to give me what I want, not what they want.

Williaml99

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
There is no AT&T in southeast Iowa so if Verizon wont support them I guess I'll be getting some more miles out of my ATIV-SE. Maybe it will get windows 10 some year but it wont the flagship experience. This carrier thing stinks. We will wait and see.

PPCFreak

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I am in the same boat as many others, Verizon has the best coverage in my area but if they don't carry the 950 or 950xl, I will have to consider keeping my 928 with w10m and hope that pressure mints and they carry the devices. Or wait till the rumors Intel based phone comes out and hope again

dbam987

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
Here's hoping that Verizon picks up the 950 series as well. I actually hope Microsoft does what Motorola is doing now with their Moto X Pure / Style models, by selling units with every radio protocol used and go direct to customers.

Sick Freak

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I like others have said have been holding off on updating waiting patiently for these new phones. I am on a family plan and the other phones on the plan aren't up. I am basically stuck on Verizon but can't see myself getting an Android phone, Iphone is out of the question. I really don't know at this point what I am going to do.
Maybe one of the other carriers will pay the EFT?

Mark Morales

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
" I would like to see Microsoft offer this kind of direct, carrier-less payment plan for its own plans, and hopefully the new Lumias will be similarly unlocked and provide universal cellular radios. (I?ve heard that they will.)" - Paul Thurrott. The key to that quote is universal cellular radios (including universal LTE). Buy the phone from MS and it works anywhere in the world and on any carrier. Let's hope the rumors are true!

Last edited:

dksf42

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
" I would like to see Microsoft offer this kind of direct, carrier-less payment plan for its own plans, and hopefully the new Lumias will be similarly unlocked and provide universal cellular radios. (I’ve heard that they will.)" - Paul Thurrott. The key to that quote is universal cellular radios (including universal LTE). Buy the phone from MS and it works anywhere in the world and on any carrier. Let's hope the rumors are true!

Is there a Paul Thurrott article?

Mark Morales

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Yes it was today an article titled "A Few Thoughts About the New iPhones." read about half way down for this quote: " I would like to see Microsoft offer this kind of direct, carrier-less payment plan for its own plans, and hopefully the new Lumias will be similarly unlocked and provide universal cellular radios. (I’ve heard that they will.)" - Paul Thurrott.

Mark Morales

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I know it's an article on the new iPhones but Paul seems to have heard that rumor too that the new Lumias may be sold unlocked by MS directly with universal radios (GSM & CDMA) and universal LTE bands. This would be awesome as it could be used on any carrier anywhere. I've seen the rumor somewhere else to but also that we may not see a true universal phone until the rumored Surface Phone next year.

ThaHambone

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Hope like hell they don't!!!
Hated my 929 with all that Verizon bloatware. Make the new 950's work with Verizon and I will buy it straight from MS and put in my Verizon Sim

Doctor_Who

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I am in the same boat as many others, Verizon has the best coverage in my area but if they don't carry the 950 or 950xl, I will have to consider keeping my 928 with w10m and hope that pressure mints and they carry the devices. Or wait till the rumors Intel based phone comes out and hope again

What's this about an Intel based phone? I've not heard anything about that.

Doctor_Who

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
All I know is this! If the phone doesn't release on Verizon, then I may for the first time in 10 years, switch carriers!

I know exactly what you're saying. We've been with Verizon for 10+ years. Mainly because in our area they have the best coverage. But Verizon is getting increasingly antagonistic towards Windows Phone. Frankly I think they'd bury the iPhone, except that its too big. With Verizon, its Android or nothing. I believe its that way because it gives them the most control.

primortal

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Hated my 929 with all that Verizon bloatware. Make the new 950's work with Verizon and I will buy it straight from MS and put in my Verizon Sim
What is this bloatware you speak of? Mine had a few installed programs that were easy to uninstall.

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site

What bloatware? I don't think you know what Bloatware is? There's like 5 apps that can all be uninstalled in less than 20 secs and that do not slow down your phone.

DustinRyan

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
As a manager for a Verizon retailer, here's my perspective:

It's VERY likely Verizon won't give two *you-know-whats* about Microsoft. They don't really need Windows Phone to make money. The only reason they would potentially want to get close with Microsoft is if Apple and Samsung flex their muscle too much. Verizon can't bow to Apple and Samsung too much, or else their whole business is controlled by these other companies.

Currently, Apple holds a lot of power over carriers, because they know that without Apple, their business is in trouble. For example, Apple has special rules. The iPhone CANNOT be displayed next to another type of phone. There can be NO color around the display, including Verizon red on the pricing card and other stuff directly next to the phone. Funny enough, the iPhone and iPad cannot also be displayed next to each other. Apple feels the iPad and iPhone sell better when they are not next to each other, but spread out. And Verizon gives in to this. They practically have to.

Thankfully, Samsung doesn't have crazy rules like this, for the most part. But it is scary to Verizon to have to do what these large companies say. By giving power to a 3rd company, Microsoft, it takes the reliance on Apple and Samsung.

However, if Microsoft can't sell phones, it's a waste for Verizon to put any eggs into a basket that won't benefit them. It's just a financial loss, which is the bottom line. Does this make Verizon money? No? Ditch it.

This is the chicken-or-the-egg debate. If Microsoft did a better job with Windows Phone and made it super popular, Verizon would love to support them and sell their phones. But if Verizon doesn't want to put any skin in the game and promote, help sell, display phones, etc., then phones won't sell, either.

With past attempts at supporting Windows Phone going sour, Verizon is probably more likely to give their support to another Android manufacturer like Motorola. The Droid line sells really well. You might not hear about it, but trust me, the Droid Turbo sells like hotcakes (whatever that saying means). It's a fantastic price with comparable specs to the GS6 (maybe not as good of a camera, but definitely better than average Android phones, plus 2-3 days of battery is phenomenal!). Not only is the Droid line getting really good in the past year, it's also exclusive to Verizon. That's a winner. We know how much Verizon loves exclusive stuff. This is a safer bet for them. With the Droid Turbo 2 and Droid Maxx 2 coming later this year, Verizon probably care more about Motorola than Microsoft at the moment.

But I could be 10000% wrong. Just an observation. I started working at Verizon about 1.2 years ago with the hope that I'd open people's minds more to Windows Phone. Not force them away from what they love, but at least get them intrigued and perceiving Windows Phone in a better light and being more open.

I wouldn't say I'm pessimistic now, but it's tough to convince people that are already so invested in iOS or Android. And I can't blame them. It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks. The best thing Microsoft can do to get Verizon reps to sell Windows Phones more, is to get Verizon to beef up commission on their phones. It works.

Apple products pay out the lowest commission (Apple has this thing about the iPhone sells itself, no one needs to talk it up). Android phones have great commission. Windows Phones have similar commission. If there was a monetary incentive to employees, and proper training, not just a stupid Flash video once a year, maybe reps would push it more (if the stores even bother stocking Windows Phones, which many don't anymore).

Sorry for the rambling. Thanks for reading, guys. Just needed to vent a bit.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster