HTC One m8 to Icon?

Nate Silver

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
Currently have an HTC One M8 on Verizon, and recently picked up a refurb Icon. So can I just throw the sim into the Icon and go? Is it that simple? Also, I'm running windows 10 insider on the HTC, what's the best practice to do the same with the Icon?

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Generally speaking, yes. As long as you use the same Microsoft Account of course.

It's up to you as to whether you want to restore a backup or start from a fresh start - a fresh start can give you a better experience and gives you the opportunity to purge all the old apps that you don't use that often. The advantage of restoring backups is convenience in not having to set your accounts up again.

Nate Silver

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, Pete. I'm thinking that a fresh start with the Icon might be the way to go since it won't have any of my stuff in it yet anyway.

Nate Silver

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
So far I'm really liking it! Have had a few minor niggles with W10 (in the fast lane), but nothing serious so far. I imagine it would be bullet-proof with 8.1, but I like living on the edge. :grincry: Haven't really developed a sense of whether or not I prefer it to the HTC; I like them both. Camera is better, for sure. Speakers for sure better on the HTC, but I never really used them anyway. Nothing wrong with the HTC screen, but the Icon's is really pretty. Size is pretty much a wash, but the Icon is a bit lighter than the HTC. I do sort of miss the SD card; had to migrate all my music to One Drive (that's almost two days of my life I'll never get back).

I live in hope that someday Verizon will get back on the Windows track. AT&T coverage is non-existent in my area, but I'd love to get my hands on a 950......or maybe someday a Surface phone!

Rick2340

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I thought about switching to Apple as my 928 is starting to get issues - but now I'm thinking I may just get an Icon and wait and see what happens with the surface phone. Like you, switching to AT&T for me isn't an option as the coverage here isn't the greatest.

hiram.grijalva

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
Nate, I see you have an Icon on W 10. How is it? I am thinking of updating from 8.1. I have another phone, the 521 that the Back, Start, and Search button lights dont work. Seems like a firmware issue. Is this the case with the Icon?

Nate Silver

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
Its been working pretty darn good for me. Haven't had any issues with the lights, they've been working fine. Occasionally will have a problem with unresponsive screen after a reboot, have to hold the power button down until it starts again, then its fine. A couple of builds ago I had a problem with intermittent loss of cell connectivity with no indication. The only way I'd find out would be to notice I hadn't gotten any email for a while. A restart would fix that too. Haven't noticed it lately though.

spinr0k

Apr 7, 2016
Visit site
Icon with 8.1 is bulletproof, I haven't seen enough from w10 to make me want to give up the rock stable fast performance. Had my Icon for 2 years now and it just keeps going.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss