Verizon is offering UNLIMITED data plans starting today...

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Starting today 2/13 Verizon is offering NEW plans that are cheapers and with a unlimited data option.(well, unlimited means a cap of 4g data 22gb after that lowered to 3g speeds).

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...https://www.verizon.com/plans/&token=aIZa6u8S

New plans with new rates...
2 GB for $35/mo.
4 GB for $50/mo.
8 GB for $70/mo.
and the BIG one...
Unlmited 1 line $80/mo. (cheaper more lines)

These plans come with unlmited voice and text... The unlmited option comes with up to 10gb hotspot.

I'm on Verizon with a old unlimted data plan that is $50 a month for data alone, with a bill that is over $120 a month.

Tempted to move to $80 all in. Just wondering what is the downfall here ? I never use over 15gb (most months 7-12gb) but, I have NO hotspot feature on my plan that would be usefulll time to time.

Any other Verizon users thinking of changing their plan ? I wonder what I am losing here over my current UNLIMITED data plan (I am not one who uses 60gb a month, who gets punted off anyway) but, a savings of almost $50 a month is really tempting

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
well, unlimited means a cap of 4g data 22gb after that lowered to 3g speeds).

This isn't quite correct. It is not automatically throttled after 22GB. It is "deprioritized" based on tower congestion. If you're in a rural area, for example, you'll likely never notice anything. Even if you experience a reduced speed due to traffic, it won't necessarily be reduced to 3G speed; only reduced as much as necessary to share the capacity. The scary part though is that Verizon is the one defining "congestion". :winktongue:

I think Verizon is seeing pressure from T-Mobile and Sprint. AT&T also has unlimited, but so far it is limited to DirectTV customers. I'm surprised at this move though.

Are you under contract? I think if I was in your shoes and out of contract, I'd switch. I just renewed my contract in November 2016, so I'm set until November 2018. I still have my data at $29.99 though. This new plan would hardly save me anything. If I was paying $20 more, I'd want to switch.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
This isn't quite correct. It is not automatically throttled after 22GB. It is "deprioritized" based on tower congestion. If you're in a rural area, for example, you'll likely never notice anything. Even if you experience a reduced speed due to traffic, it won't necessarily be reduced to 3G speed; only reduced as much as necessary to share the capacity. The scary part though is that Verizon is the one defining "congestion". :winktongue:.

I should of said "could be lowered to 3g speeds" but, with Verizon, it's always subject to change and with Verizon defining, it could be hit or miss depending on the month. Most people who do streaming video and music should not even get close to 22gb unless your doing it 24 hours a day or downloading torrents. Even with my fairly heavy use (i'm always streaming videos and listing to streaming music), I dont get over 15gb a month(most months 7-12).

Anyway about it, NO data overages, so no shock bills

Are you under contract? I think if I was in your shoes and out of contract, I'd switch. I just renewed my contract in November 2016, so I'm set until November 2018. I still have my data at $29.99 though. This new plan would hardly save me anything. If I was paying $20 more, I'd want to switch.

Not under any contract, crap, I have not been under a contract in almost 8-10 years now. I tend to buy my phones used and normally a year or so old. I have a good choice of phones, so I can swap as I need :)

On the surface it seems like a good deal, has up to 22gb of data (where they have to give you 4g speeds), and 10gb of hotspot data (something I dont have), Unlmited everything text/picture/voice etc. for $80 ? Seems like a great deal but, knowing Verizon....

What's the catch ?

Verizon unlimited data plans still get $700-1000 on ebay, I am wondering if I should just cash out...and just re-sign up for service

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Not under any contract, crap, I have not been under a contract in almost 8-10 years now. I tend to buy my phones used and normally a year or so old. I have a good choice of phones, so I can swap as I need :)

I made it a point to stay under contract for several reasons. One, Verizon has so far left UDP users alone as far as data usage. Two, I get subsidized phones. I can buy a $700 phone for $200, sell the phone, and pocket the difference. And three, it keeps my data price at $29.99.

Those old unlimited data plans are based on contract price, in which you are paying for the phone whether or not you actually upgrade. By buying phones out of pocket and not using the available upgrade, you are essentially paying twice. The upside is that you are free to leave. However, with my unlimited data I have no plans to leave. If Verizon forces me to leave, I will not be paying the ETF anyway. And if I was trying to save a dollar, I wouldn't have a Verizon unlimited plan anyway!

In November 2018 when my current contract expires I'll revisit this and see what the scene looks like then. By then there should be plenty of feedback available on how Verizon is performing for those users with unlimited data. Maybe it will not even be possible to upgrade and extend the contract, leaving me with no choice.

What's the catch ?

The new unlimited plan seems to be replacing the plans larger than L (8GB). I don't trust Verizon very far either, but then again I don't trust any carrier. I don't think they're worse than the others.

Verizon unlimited data plans still get $700-1000 on ebay, I am wondering if I should just cash out...and just re-sign up for service

I haven't checked today, but I bet this new plan reduced the value of the old unlimited data plans. I don't see them selling very well anymore, especially the plans on $49.99 data.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Yea, I have the $49.99 data, they FORCED me to go from $29.99 to $49.99....

I need to do some reseach, If they are worth $700+ I might just give up my number...

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Yea, I have the $49.99 data, they FORCED me to go from $29.99 to $49.99....

How did they force you to pay more? I want curved to, and I'm good until at least November 2018.

I need to do some reseach, If they are worth $700+ I might just give up my number...

It is not difficult to keep your number. Do a search on the Google Voice trick.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077