When You Aren't Volunteering Here, What Else Do You Do For a Hobby?
04-04-2017 02:24 PM
- Hey, guys and gals...
Thanks for all you do and all the time you put in making our forums preeminent.
But when you aren't here giving your time and expert help, what else do you do for fun? What hobbies do you have? Do those relate even indirectly to the forums?
I'd love to hear what you get up to.03-09-2017 06:43 PMLike 14
- I'm really into music, mostly listening but also playing.
You may read about my listening gear here: https://forums.androidcentral.com/sh...d.php?t=770199
This is the keyboard I play.
I also belong to a Linux User Group and a book club.03-09-2017 07:28 PMLike 12
- Hi everyone!
Thought I’d take this chance to tell you a little about myself. I’ve always been heavily interested in computers – from the time I got a Commodore 64 and helped my brother to build a PC at home, through to the Gameboy, Playstation, and Xbox 360’s I’ve enjoyed in the past. I build my own PC’s and I keep up to date with all aspects of PC tech as well as being interested in PC Gaming over console gaming nowadays.
I’m interested in tech in general but if we’re talking mobile phones I’ve had a multitude of devices ranging from Nokia 3210 and 3330’s to LG Viewty, Samsung Soul U990 and HTC Magic 2 and HTC Desire then Lumia 920, 930 and now my 950 XL. As you can see I used Android (for a number of years) before I tried a Lumia 920 and grew to love the Windows Phone OS. I joined Windows Central (or Windows Phone Central, as it was back then), when I was first looking for information about Windows Phone before I took the plunge and purchased my 920 and I’ve not looked back since. It still suits my purposes better than any other mobile OS (I like the simplicity and design of it.)
Speaking of design, I’m a Graphic Designer by trade and I even do freelance design in my spare time (including Web Design). And I’ve always been a sucker for forums. I love the nature of forums; people contributing to a real-time discussion – either asking for help or providing it.
If you have any questions don’t hesitate to get in touch with me and I’ll try to help you out if I can.03-10-2017 12:56 AMLike 12
- It's fun to learn some of these things about you guys. You can really learn a lot about someone by their hobbies and interests. Great idea, RumoredNow!
I play quite a few computer games - Overwatch, Minecraft, Path of Exile, and World of Warcraft to name a few. I also enjoy games played off the computer! Board games, card games, trivia type games, etc. One of my favorite things to do is get together with a group of friends, drink some whiskey and play a few games of Catan or any other type of game.
Other hobbies include running (distance and sprints), discussing theology, politics, and whiskey! I have other hobbies as well, but i'll stick to listing the main ones.
Oh, i also like Windows technology03-10-2017 07:53 AM
- Hrmmmmm, well, when I'm not doing my thing around here I have plenty on my plate.
I play hockey (goalie - yeah I'm crazy), so twice a week or more I'm on the ice. During the summer months I enjoy golf, although I haven't had the opportunity to play as much as I'd like. Think I managed to get in 3 or 4 rounds last year (when I was a kid I'd play 5 times a week!). The wife and I enjoy going out for dinner, making renovations to the house, doing cool things around the yard... and we're both slightly addicted to coffee so there's a good chance you can find us in a coffee shop somewhere. :)
Truth be told though I simply love what I do around here. Even on weekends I find myself in my office doing what I can to make this place just a little better for all. Am often inspired by the passion and dedication of folks like you (^ the posts above are a great example) and I want to do all I can to make sure a) our volunteers are taken care of and b) we welcome new members and volunteers with open arms!
Will leave it at that for now. Really dig this thread, looking forward to reading what others have to say :)03-10-2017 08:48 AM
- One of the most important things in my life is my sobriety. I got clean and sober on July 23rd 2002, and have been so ever since. I regularly attend 12 step meetings, mostly AA and OA these days, but I do get to other meetings. I also will tell my story at treatment centers, in particular the place I went to in 2002. I will be going to the Keystone Center on July 22nd this year to "speak" for the group that got me sober. I usually go there several times a year, BUT the anniversary appointment is a standing one and is VERY important to me! This year I will have 15 years!
I'm also really in to tech, sports and movies. I have an active social life. Although I'm kinda divorced (we were never married, but were together for over 10 years), I have begun talking to my ex again. NOT sure whats going to happen there. ;) I love going to the movies, and to sporting events! I like to travel and was recently in Barcelona Spain! I plan to go to Italy soon, and maybe Iceland! (soon being like next year! lol)
Great thread idea Robert! Do you think you have enough titles under your screen name? lol03-10-2017 09:53 AMLike 16
- AquilaAlienware RogueRiding my motorcycle ... i wish, don't get to do that enough. Full time work, full time school, full time parent to two daughters, volunteer on the forums and THEN try to ride my motorcycle :)03-10-2017 01:33 PM
- For my hobbies, I read and learn as much as I can about various things. I'm also a competitive powerlifter and strength coach at a crossfit gym.
Living in West Virginia being outdoors to reset and relax is great as well. I like to hike and fish a little every weekend.03-10-2017 01:34 PM
- Well I'm usually over at iMore. In my own time I like write reviews for cases and other things. I spend too much time watching TV. I still read occasionally. I listen to music every day and I play guitar. I'm still working on getting a easily portable travel setup so I can play when I'm travelling for work. That's about it, I don't do a whole lot though I am trying to do more.03-10-2017 01:35 PM
- My recent hobby is Galaxy of Heroes on my iPhone/iPad. Been playing daily since the game launched in October 2015.
Actually, may be a bit of an obsession at this point. Going on a family Disney cruise in April and I trying to determine if the onboard wifi costs are worth me paying so that I can, at least, get my daily login rewards!
Other than that, and other than (mostly Apple) tech, all things Star Wars and Disney (as if my avatar wasn't enough of a give away to that).03-10-2017 01:36 PMLike 5
- I read. A lot. I love sci-fi and fantasy books. I play a lot of video games as well. I'm really loving my NES Classic and PS4 right now. I'm an amateur astronomer and I love going out stargazing at night with my telescope.03-10-2017 01:40 PM
- As a father of five children I spend most of my free time with them. My boys are active in sports and I spend a lot of time at the baseball fields for one, football for another, and hockey for a third. We spend a lot of time together. Aside from them, I spend a ton of my free time with my spouse who is my best friend.
When not with the family I like to go to the local ECHL hockey affiliate games as we have season tickets. I enjoy reading as well. My most relevant hobby to the forums though is my collecting of BlackBerrys.03-10-2017 01:50 PM
- I do a lot with audiophile. Have a beautiful sounding system, using old school, and some new. Tube amp, wired speakers, laptop as server and a dac for analog. While having spinal stenosis and coping with wifes health, I have been given time to set up system and listen. Well that's all for now.03-10-2017 02:27 PM
- Let's see...usually something for the kids. I have four kids so we're constantly running the roads for one of their activities (usually sports like baseball & football). That keeps me fairly busy. I also still actively participate in men's baseball for myself and try to volunteer through many social functions in our town. I'm a sports and tech addict so if I do have any free time outside of work and the children's activities, that's likely what you'll find me participating in.03-10-2017 02:32 PMLike 4
- Hobbies?! Geez, I forgot what that's like. These days, it's all about herding cats, aka crisis management for me. What I remember as fun.....hanging in the forums, home improvement around my former house (all I need is a nail gun, hammer, a small saw, and silicone, and I'm good to go), and spending quiet time reading whatever I could get my hands on that was interesting.
On another note, it's GREAT to see some familiar names in here!
Last edited by Azensun; 03-10-2017 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Forgot something....03-10-2017 02:42 PM
- I have a Ford F-350 4X4 and an Eagle Cap EC 850 slide in truck camper that my wife and I camp on the beach with out on Cape Cod, MA during the spring, summer and fall... during the winter, it's Photoshop, CorelDRAW, etc. - just putzing around on the PC and staying warm until the warm weather returns!03-10-2017 03:19 PM
- Taking a daily walk with my best friend and wife, along with our two dogs. Just finished reading the entire Ian Fleming James Bond series. Watching all sides (left, middle, right) on cable news channels. Maybe I should stop doing this last thing. Giving me a headache.03-10-2017 04:20 PM
- Full time husband and dad. My other full time job is as a DBA.
Came from disassembling Tiger Electronics hand held game toys as a little guy (the long but not too long before Gameboy device), to learning to build my own PC, later building systems (workstations/gaming/liquid cooled/servers/etc.), finally to administrator over them. The last 5 years I've worked being an admin over all kinds of servers from any Nix-like to Windows. Then now moved into the database side.
I'm into anything that I can do more with. Tech, programs, tools, anything...Technology is one of my main passions/hobbies though.
Love spending time with my family, listening to music, into playing sports (baseball/softball), house repairs (when needed), reading, and windows tech news of course.03-10-2017 05:14 PM
- When I'm not working in the QA engineering department of a major utility in New York City,
I also work as a part time Depity Sheriff.
In my past I have had very diversified careers including working as a sound engineer for live bands.
I also have a computer degree and love to Tinker with computers. I am also an amateur photographer and have lots of camera equipment have done some paid work but it's mostly a hobby.
I also work backstage at my daughter's dance competitions managing the props.
I'm also a certified NRA instructor.
Last edited by Mike Dee1; 03-10-2017 at 08:16 PM.03-10-2017 07:12 PM
- Windows Central Community
- Volunteer Hub
- Volunteer Lounge
When You Aren't Volunteering Here, What Else Do You Do For a Hobby?
- By maya77 in forum Windows 10 MobileReplies: 2Last Post: 03-11-2017, 01:36 AM
- By petvas72 in forum Windows 10Replies: 1Last Post: 03-09-2017, 10:33 PM
- By WindowsCentral.com in forum Windows Central News DiscussionReplies: 0Last Post: 03-09-2017, 04:20 PM
- By WindowsCentral.com in forum Windows Central News DiscussionReplies: 0Last Post: 03-09-2017, 03:30 PM
- By WindowsCentral.com in forum Windows Central News DiscussionReplies: 0Last Post: 03-09-2017, 02:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD