Frustrated with "No Flagship" complaints

kklemn

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Re: Fustrated with "No Flagship" complaints

they should at least give us a hint of what's to come... something to be happy about... i keep expecting another lumia 930 to come out (half a year after icon, beaten by all competitors already by the time it's released at a quite big price)

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

they should at least give us a hint of what's to come... something to be happy about...

They did, a year ago. We were anxiously awaiting McLaren. How happy did the way that turned out make us? :cry:

Adam Frix

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site

It doesn't matter the reason why Microsoft hasn't released a flagship phone. The truth is, they missed out by sitting on the sidelines while the competition stayed the course with their release schedules.

12 months is an eternity in the lifecycle of consumer electronics. If you don't refresh what you have to offer, you're going to lose a lot of customers or **** off those who are willing to wait around and hope. For me, personally, I decided to check out the competition while I waited, and guess what? I like what i've found and I've decided I'm not going back to Windows Phone. The best thing about it is I'm not pissed off anymore.

You've just described me to a T.

I've had my Lumia 635 for not quite a year now. It's a perfectly fine phone, and really does everything I *need* to do on a daily basis. But: I have (a) the cash, and (b) the itch for a real flagship phone. The Nexus 6 is calling my name. It's getting harder to resist every day.

Adam Frix

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site

The frustration with a lack of a new flagship is understandable. But I would hope any adult that understands why there is not a new release yet would be reasonable and accept good sense. Not LIKE it, but accept it and not complain incessantly.

I understand it. I don't like it, but I don't complain about it. Instead, I just change my situation.

And THAT'S what MS needs to understand. It's useless to complain, so one just changes one's situation.

That all being said, I would be happier about waiting if I knew there was something waiting for. Right now, there isn't as far as anyone knows. All we hear are vague empty words.

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site

I understand it. I don't like it, but I don't complain about it. Instead, I just change my situation.

And THAT'S what MS needs to understand. It's useless to complain, so one just changes one's situation.

That all being said, I would be happier about waiting if I knew there was something waiting for. Right now, there isn't as far as anyone knows. All we hear are vague empty words.

If MS shows that kind of ignorance for its flagship devices, they will loose a huge customer base. For instance my dad's Lumia 1320 started showing up age, he was looking for immediate replacement. 1520 was out of stock everywhere (MS shouldn't have discontinued 1520, until a new flagship phablet doesn't arrive), with no news of any MS Flagship phablat, he purchased an HTC One M9+, a huge lost of MS customer base :winktongue::winktongue::winktongue::winktongue:

If next generation iPhone delivers the camera performance, that is rumored and if I see no flagship device with a better camera, then MS will end up loosing another customer:winktongue::winktongue::winktongue::winktongue:

Chris Stevens1

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
I agree that "Flagships are engineered to have a longer lifecycle than other devices".
That means that a phone hardware should last about 3 or 4 years, not 1 or 2.
That does not mean that it is a good idea to purchase a "new" phone 2 or 3 years after release.

In the USA, with carrier exclusives, the lag between flagships is longer because not all carriers get a version of each phone.

ScrubbyXD

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site

You've just described me to a T.

I've had my Lumia 635 for not quite a year now. It's a perfectly fine phone, and really does everything I *need* to do on a daily basis. But: I have (a) the cash, and (b) the itch for a real flagship phone. The Nexus 6 is calling my name. It's getting harder to resist every day.

This may help you resist. I personally know five people who bought a nexus 6. Of those, zero still have them. However if you do not mind recharging the phone in the middle of the day due to the terrible battery life, or rebooting once or more a day due to memory leaks in the OS, the Nexus 6 may be for you.

Sam_Cook

May 22, 2015
Visit site

Sorry OP, but another "no flagship" complaint is coming your way - This is a bit of a rant in terms of not only hardware, but software issues as well, so be advised...

I've been on the WP platform since 2011 when I bought an LG Quantum (was a great phone, fwiw) with WP7 on it. Loved it, thought it was a great upgrade from the Nokia E71 I'd been using prior to that. From there, moved to a Lumia 900, and from there a Lumia 925.

However I've decided that if we don't get a new WP flagship by years end, I'm jumping ship to an Android device. While I love the Windows OS, I've made concessions in my user experience to use it. The #1 being apps. I've either had to forgo any recent apps that have come out, be it gaming or productivity because they weren't released for WP - but I did because to me the OS was worth it. I had to lose not one, but two of the (VERY few available) mobile banking apps for the banks I hold accounts with - Bank of America, and Chase. Part of the reason I kept accounts with these banks was the availability of mobile apps for WP they (previously) offered. So now I'm left using Bing searches to locate even a simple ATM, which would be fine except I've had multiple instances of getting search results/directions to closed locations - some having been closed for YEARS.

I also use Google services, and have obviously had to make huge concessions in using those as well, seeing as even a Youtube app doesn't exist (I know of third party apps, ie Metrotube, but it has its share of issues). Was happy using Gooroovster, until that quit working for me too.

Don't even get me started with Amazon services.

I've had my L925 for quite some time, and recently cracked my screen. In search of new WP devices, I landed on this site. I saw the L640, and read about it only to see that Microsoft can't even figure out when the hell they want to release the device! Something as simple as a budget phone, and they've already dropped the ball on it! I completely understand that lining up carrier dates may be tricky, but there's no excuse for not having a date when you have Microsoft stores that can sell YOUR devices without carrier intervention! One merit I'll give the other major manufacturers is that they do tend to provide transparency with respect to availability and release. So instead of being happy that something is making its way down the pipeline, I'm left frustrated and wondering why I keep hanging on. I know that no one platform is without flaws, but something's gotta give. I believe it when I see others mentioning how they've held out but eventually moved on.

So, for me personally, I'm giving it 6 months for a flagship before I move on as well. I've been and still am a big Microsoft fan (even still own a Zune HD), but I'm done with the sub-par offerings they continue to provide for WP users.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

However I've decided that if we don't get a new WP flagship by years end, I'm jumping ship to an Android device.
You're happy to put up with that for another 7 months?
Why wait, just order an Android and be done with it.

Miti 1982

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site

Well, I think brainwashing and consumerism has really gotten to the highest point ever and it is probably still climbing...

Remember the time when you had one device working well and you had it for more than 5 years? Ask your parents and grandparents how often did they change their phones, cars, washing machines, TVs, consoles...

People used to change things because they broke or because something really better came out... now-days people are used to having something new each year. Specially in countries where devices a subsidized by operators and people can get a "flagship" phone for $100. Without caring to think that they actually lease the device and the operator has included that monthly fee in the services invoice. So in the end it is actually cheaper to pay for the device in full and get an cheaper plan that has pretty much the same attributes.

I guess that at some point people will realize that even a phone from 15 years ago does the same job a current flagship does. For all else there are tablets and actual computers.

mebby

May 20, 2014
Visit site
I have the 1520 - which I still like a lot. But I will soon be able to get a new phone and I want a better, faster, flagship phone. By the end of the year. If not then...

mebby

May 20, 2014
Visit site

I guess that at some point people will realize that even a phone from 15 years ago does the same job a current flagship does. For all else there are tablets and actual computers.
Well my phones from 15 years ago were a piece of crap (poor sound quality), so don't quite agree with you but I get your point. I want a new phone to take advantage of the Win10 features and get a phone that is slightly smaller than my 1520. So really I want a computing device not a phone - that is smaller than a tablet.

salazka

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site

It doesn't matter the reason why Microsoft hasn't released a flagship phone

Actually, in business it matters very much. And every time someone brings up one idea for production, this is exactly the question they are asked.

In order to spend a lot of money for the production of one, there has to be an obvious reason why people will purchase one, and there has to be a solid history of sales. As of today, the sales of WP flagships are lagging far behind the sales of low and even mid range phones. 920, 930, 1020, are not even 3% of total WP sales. And that is not very encouraging for a company to bring out, and spend millions marketing that one flagship which is simply not going to sell.

Waiting to release one along with the brand new OS, Windows 10, is by far the smartest choice.

jbestman

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site

Marketshare is in the lower end phones. Profits are in the flagship phones. Why is this so hard for people to understand? And why are you going on about this like the two are mutually exclusive? You do know you can have both, right?

Stiv X

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site

Marketshare is in the lower end phones. Profits are in the flagship phones.
That is exactly correct. For a long time only Samsung was making a profit on selling Android devices. That is because of the Galaxy series flagship phones. No other flagship could compare. Other compaines such as LG and HTC has some marketshare, but were not pulling profit from the devices they were selling. Conversely, Apple hasn't really made lower end devices (5C probably was supposed to be but priced too high) and they make huge profits, though they lack in marketshare worldwide.

atrociousonpc

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
You guys that are saying "we don't neeeeeed yearly cycles" are missing one piece. Pretend someone stole your 1520... Go to a store and buy another one. I dare you. You wouldn't be able to FIND one! You have to go buy something used or from a random retailer online/eBay. That is not something that a lot of people are yet comfortable with or have the time to research getting a 'good' deal.

My sister bought her 1020 from a Microsoft store in 2013 and got the 2 year warranty offered by Microsoft in case she broke the screen (she is tough on phones too). Well, she just broke it, and MS told her for $50 (deposit) they'd give her a brand new 830. Tell me that you'd be happy with trading your 1520 for an 830.............. And that isn't the offer from a carrier, but MS.

So it would be a completely different story if they weren't releasing yearly and also at least carrying their phones for 10-14 months. But INSTEAD, they are not following the yearly refresh and are still following the "carry for 6 months only" cycle!

That is a completely valid point. Thanks for sharing that because i never even thought about that. (And i would definitely NOT be happy about that. :) )

Daniel Frankovitch

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site

The other point here of course is that WP doesn't need Android like specs to run it so we don't need 3-4 new flagship models per year anyway.

I think you are missing one huge point. This has nothing to do with WP being able to run on low end hardware and be usable. I would even argue that many of the new features of WP10 are going to not exist on a significant number of the seemingly amazing low end devices.

No one is asking for 3-4 flagships a year. What is being asked for is any flagship at all. To suggest that the WP user base is demanding multiple flagships is nonsense and a little dishonest. To then try and make it ok by telling people that WP doesn't need the same high end hardware as an Android device is again missing the entire point.

MS is missing out on a huge opportunity by acting as if they cannot grow their marketshare with low end devices AND at the same time, put out a single high end device for people that would help the mindshare portion of the market. Telling people to go to eBay if they want a premium WP device is just stupid.

A single flagship, with the defining WP features (like the camera button-oh wait, MS dropped that too) would allow people like me to upgrade to a new device and not lose anything. As it stands now, there is no device in the WP market that will give me a significantly better experience. That is not how you build a brand. It is remarkable that a device that came out in 2013 (Lumia 928) is still a better device than the flood of cheap devices that people now associate with WP, and embarrassing as you are going to have a very hard time finding a new WP device that is better than one from 2013.

By the time MS gets a flagship out, they will have missed the chance for it to keep WP users from jumping to a non-WP device.

That is what fuels the complaining. Watching something great die a slow painful death is hard to watch.

mythos13

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
It is a serious issue. A lot of people who prefer flagships have either left Windows Phone or our considering it. I'm in the latter but I'm trying to hold on to see what if any flagships will come out this year. Windows Phone has been losing mindshare since the Lumia 1020 and far as I'm concerned that is the only WP flagship there ever was. I had the 1520 for awhile until I slammed my car door on it and it was a good phone but nothing about it besides too big a screen stood out. It is awfully long time to not have a flagship and no wonder WP is losing mindshare. It is quite a boring platform right now and it is in dire need of some excitement.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
It is a serious issue. A lot of people who prefer flagships have either left Windows Phone or our considering it. I'm in the latter but I'm trying to hold on to see what if any flagships will come out this year. Windows Phone has been losing mindshare since the Lumia 1020 and far as I'm concerned that is the only WP flagship there ever was. I had the 1520 for awhile until I slammed my car door on it and it was a good phone but nothing about it besides too big a screen stood out. It is awfully long time to not have a flagship and no wonder WP is losing mindshare. It is quite a boring platform right now and it is in dire need of some excitement.
You say it's a boring platform. How does a flagship change that?

Sent from my LG G3 via Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb