Windows Update without switching to Microsoft Account

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
For various reasons I prefer to use a local user account on my laptops instead of Microsoft Accounts. This works pretty well on Windows 8/8.1 since I can use seperate logins for each application / app. However, with Windows 10 (I'm running 10074) Microsoft seems to be forcing their accounts down our throats since seperate accounts don't seem to be working for every aspect anymore. Case in point: Windows Update. Under "Advanced options" there's a link to "Sign in with your Microsoft account", however there is no option to sign in seperately without converting the local user account to a Microsoft account, which I absolutely refuse to do.

The question is whether or not I need to sign in here in order to receive new updates and new builds?

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Alas, it's the same with Cortana. Not that I need her, inface during the six months of using Windows Phone I found Cortana to be the most useless voice assistant in the history of mankind, but it's interesting that there's no way to sign in seperately in order to enable Cortana. One must switch their local user account to a Microsoft account.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon