Question About Win 10?

cowboy6201

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I was just thinking, what guaranty do we have that a developer will make an App work on All devices?
unless they add the code for a device! I don't see this as being any different than what we have now with 8.1. yes some developers have made an App for Desktop and Tablets as well as Phones and yes I know with 10 they only have to make 1 App to work on all Devices, but it's not etched in stone that they will?
I've already found some Apps in the Win 10 store that are not available in the store on my Win 10 phone.
let's hear all your thoughts and comments on this, just curious if anyone was thinking like me on this.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
No, I don't believe MS will force them to do this, but doing it means having access to more users and isn't that the ultimate goal here? Well apart from making money lol

cowboy6201

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Yes that's very true, but I don't see that the case though, I've already seen Apps in the store for desktop tablet laptop but not for phones.

Mohammad Arshad

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
This is a good question. I think there are a couple of things to consider here.

Capture.PNG

From the visual studio 2015 project templates above, I see that they have only given a generic universal app template and not split the templates into WinPhone/WinRT as they have for Windows 8, and what they had done in VS 2013. So this means that all apps developed for Win 10 (at least from a coding perspective) automatically compile for all devices. You cannot make just a phone app or just a tablet app anymore (as this has obviously become redundant).

Therefore, the only way MSFT will allow developers too chose which platform they want to target is likely through the app store....where they ask the developers to manually chose which device(s) they want to target.

Interestingly though, I went to their build conference and they were touting how the new Win 10 platform can allow code re-use with very little effort on the developers part and the XAML will itself change according to the design.

20150619_104037.jpg

Therefore I would assume, that most developers would want too target ALL devices. Because if we believe what MSFT is saying..they dont have to write new code for different devices.

---

However, I can also foresee instances where it makes sense to just have an app on a single device. For example, certain hardware restrictions will mean apps that use the gyroscope for example..will not be available on the tablet.

But I think such apps will be the exception and not the norm.

P.S Sorry for the long post. Has microsoft started accepting apps in the Windows 10 store?

cowboy6201

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
No that was great the longer the better to get a point across. And I agree it's a point no one has thought of but me.
I have found some apps on my Win 10TP desktop that are not on my WP 10 TP. But I thought it was one store?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs