How do I install Windows Updates from the Windows 10 preview?

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Installing Windows Updates from the Windows 10 preview

I have the preview installed on a spare computer. I was out of town last week and noticed that some new builds were made available while I was away. I've checked for the last two nights to see if I could update (my computer is set to the Fast ring for updates). It shows that there are two updates.

One is a Windows Defender definitions update that shows it is installing, but it has been stuck at 3% for the past two days. The other update is for one of the newer builds (I don't remember the number off the top of my head). I am currently on build 10130.

My first night back from vacation, I got a notification that a restart was scheduled for 11:50 PM. This was about 11:35 when I turned on the computer. The restart never happened. In fact, I've never seen an automatic restart take place to update any of my Windows 10 preview builds after receiving this notification. Even manually rebooting the computer doesn't trigger the updates to complete installation.

It seems that Microsoft has stripped all the manual controls from Windows Update in Windows 10. Does anyone know a way I can cancel the current updates that seem to be stuck so that the new build can be installed? For the last build update, I manually downloaded the latest ISO from the Windows Insider page because I had trouble with the automatic update process. Is anyone else having this issue, or is my problem that I'm running the preview on a Pentium 4 computer that was built for Windows XP?

nmercy

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Re: Installing Windows Updates from the Windows 10 preview

I have seen mine get stuck, but normally a restart fixes the issue. I'll restart, sometimes it will have the update and restart option, and then start the settings -> windows update and it normally checks for new updates and gets rid of invalid ones.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Re: Installing Windows Updates from the Windows 10 preview

When I checked the computer last night, the Windows Defender update had finally installed, but the Build update to 10162 said it was downloading, but appeared to be stuck at 3%. I restarted the computer and left it overnight. When I checked this morning, it had not made any progress. Still stuck at 3% downloading the new build.

I think my issues might be related to the hardware. I get a weird memory read error every time I shut down or restart this computer. I have another spare motherboard/CPU combo that is about 7 years more recent and has twice the RAM. I think I'll try the Windows 10 preview on this hardware and see if I have better luck with the automatic update process.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes