HELP! I have Win8.1 w/Media Center. Update thinks I'm running Windows GO from a USB

JetFixxxer

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
drive. I've tried searching for a solution, but can't find one. When I tried to do a "refresh" of Windows 8.1 I receive messages that I can't do a refresh on Windows GO. I don't have GO installed. Properties shows that I have Windows 8.1 Media Player and the GMX app tells me it has to remove MEDIA PLAYER.

I

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Are you trying to upgrade to windows 10? If so, you have to uninstall Windows Media Center. It is not compatible with Windows 10.

JetFixxxer

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
That didn't work. I removed Media Center, but still showing Windows 8.1 with Media Center under system. GWX app is not showing up anymore and when I click "learn more" under Windows Update it doesn't do anything. I have two folder $Windows~WS and $Windows~BT. WS os 6gb and -BT is 946kb.. When I run the setup file in ~WS it goes through the setup, but get an error about "This PC can't run Windows 10" "You can't install Windows on a USB flash drive using Setup".

FWIW my system is a 4790k, 16 GB of ram, two R280x, and plenty of HDD space.

JetFixxxer

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Got it!!! I have two SSD. One was being detected as Portable.

Finally found a solution here
https://social.technet.microsoft.co...s-to-go-computer-but-its-not?forum=W8ITProWTG
Follow these steps to delete the Windows To Go registry value:

Open regedit.exe
Browse to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control
Delete this value: PortableOperatingSystem

You will most probably notice that the issue reappears when you connect a particular USB drive to the PC. Subsequent removal of that drive will cause the PC to crash. This is happening because the unique IDs of the USB disk and the internal HDD are the same. The easiest way to fix this issue is to "clean" the disk. A clean will destroy all data on the disk, so back it up first.

Open diskpart.exe
Type "list disk" to determine the disk number of the USB disk.
Type "select disk #", where # is the disk number you determined.
Type "clean".
Type "exit".

Restart your PC. You can use diskmgmt.msc or diskpart.exe to repartition your USB drive to resume using it normally.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett