Windows 10 Black Screen +cursor after log in ,Ctrl+alt+delete(task manager) solution won't work, what should I do?

Andrejs Ivanovs

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
Windows 10 Black Screen +cursor after log in ,Ctrl+alt+delete(task manager) solution wont work

I had Win 8.1 started 2h ago updating to Win 10
after update
the problem is after the log in only black screen and cursors appears.
I tried ctrl+alt+delete it works but wen i click on task manager it sends me back with message
Task Manager Stopped Responding
I tried Restart,Safe Mode with internet connection,Safe Mode(it fails even in safe mode)
I will now even try delete all my personal documents and setting maybe that will help(clean install)
Dose some 1 had it?
Dose some 1 have a solution ?
*clean install worked* (hour 2 later)
Upgrading now video card driver i guess different drivers because diff. OS and DirectX( DirectX 12 i think )
But with clean installed Win 10 did not activated by it self (6 hours later)
Went to activated manually by press of a button but failed for some reason have to now wait for tomorrow to talk to microsoft people

Last edited:

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Windows 10 Black Screen +cursor after log in ,Ctrl+alt+delete(task manager) solution wont work

Do a clean install.

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Re: Windows 10 Black Screen +cursor after log in ,Ctrl+alt+delete(task manager) solution wont work

I've had it happen in the technical preview many times. If it goes to black screen with the cursor, just walk away and leave it alone for awhile and it should come up. Not an elegant solution but it has worked every time.

klemenhe

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site

Hey guys I think I have found a solution:
Now this problem is most likely happening because you have multiple monitors. This was also happening to me and here is how I fixed it: When the black screen appears the login screen should originally appear but due to a bug with multiple monitors it does not. So just pretend that you're on the login screen; press enter, then enter your password (if you have one) and then press enter again. Altough you will not see it, your PC will be now at the desktop. Now perhaps give it some time, let it load so you can do the next step properly. Now press the windows button + P this should throw you to the multiple monitors setting. Now try to somehow blindly navigate (with arrow keys I presume, I personally have no idea how I managed to do it) and press enter, experiment a bit untill your screen will show. If it now shows, press the same buttons again and put it on Primary screen only. Sadly this means you will have to use only one screen for a while, until this is resolved. I really hope this helps

Rebecca Mataya

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site

I only have one monitor, and I'm having the same problem. Ctrl alt delete isn't working. Desktop is empty, anytime iplace an item on the desktop is disappears after a few minutes. Ican open things like task manager and settings but i can't do anything.
I tried restarting, black screenof death shows. I just type my password and am greeted with my empty desktop.

icriveraC016

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site

Hi it took so long that I can't remember what I used as my password.

Felipe Munerato

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site

Now this problem is most likely happening because you have multiple monitors. This was also happening to me and here is how I fixed it: When the black screen appears the login screen should originally appear but due to a bug with multiple monitors it does not. So just pretend that you're on the login screen; press enter, then enter your password (if you have one) and then press enter again. Altough you will not see it, your PC will be now at the desktop. Now perhaps give it some time, let it load so you can do the next step properly. Now press the windows button + P this should throw you to the multiple monitors setting. Now try to somehow blindly navigate (with arrow keys I presume, I personally have no idea how I managed to do it) and press enter, experiment a bit untill your screen will show. If it now shows, press the same buttons again and put it on Primary screen only. Sadly this means you will have to use only one screen for a while, until this is resolved. I really hope this helps

OMG!! i have created an account here just to thank you a lot, my problem is solved. How did you Manage to do that ?

haticK

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site

I had to hit spacebar a bunch of times when the computer was starting and eventually got to a screen that let you pick troubleshooting options. From there I was able to restore to a previous build. It sat on a screen saying "Restarting..." and I left it there for about an hour until I just decided to force restart by hitting the button. Once I did this it actually ended up restoring and did a quick checkdisk and I was back on Windows 7. Now I'm updating my video drivers first and going to try and reinstall again from the download on Microsoft's website. We have another computer in our house that hasn't had any issues at all. I noticed the black screen first started when I tried logging into my Microsoft account to use Cortana. I would avoid Cortana for now to be safe.

David Feifer

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site

I had something similar happen today at work. One of our guys decided to upgrade his computer to windows 10 and it had issues after logging in. Problem on my end is the Lenovo recovery partition was still there as the Q: drive and during windows installation somehow the ntfs permissions on the root drive and Q drive were switched. C: drive had no owner and no permissions for root so many of the programs could not run and no swap file. permissions in sub directories were set correctly. Cloned the drive to make sure I didn't break things and then plugged the clone in to my drive bay and manually set the domain administrator as the owner. Plugged that then in to the laptop and once I logged in as the domain admin manually set the ntfs permissions back to what they should have been on root, reset trusted installer as owner, set the swap file on C: and after restart the thing now screams and runs like it is supposed to.

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site

I had two computers with black screen after upgraded to Windows 10. It reverted them back to old OS version. What I did was uninstalled Avast antivirus on both computers. One computer I uninstalled the graphics driver. Did the upgrade again on both and they went through.

Burt Polson

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site

I use Google Photos Screensaver (no login on resume checked) and when I try to wake up I get black screen. I've tried everything mentioned above. If I select crl-alt-del I can see the desktop before I get the lock/switch user/sign out/task manager options. I select cancel--I get my desktop and everything is okay. How can I eliminate this issue?

Udit Yadu

May 14, 2014
Visit site

I've a HP Stream 7 Signature Edition , which means i don't have a keyboard , any help for me ?

Anav45

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
I have the same problem and have not figured out how to make Ctrl-Alt-Del bring up TaskMgr directly (and I sure it's not malware since I scanned all files). But I figured out a partial solution. You can launch the program from the application file "Windows\System32\TaskMgr". Of course you don't want to find the file every time you want to use TaskMgr. So find it once, highlight it and right click on that file. Then choose "Send to" and select "Desktop". You will then have a shortcut on your desktop that will launch TaskMgr. After the shortcut is on your desktop, you can "pin" it to your task bar.

Another easy option is to right click on the taskbar and one of the options you can choose is "Task Manager". Good luck

robertbrunelle

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
One of the best solution to this problem is, as soon as you login, open device manager and select graphics driver and update drivers of those via windows update. Reboot.
If worked, great.. if not, then another solution is to reinstall graphics card driver by selecting your own path to search for driver and set the path to C:/ or that System drive where your previous windows.old folder is. Now computer shall search and install the driver from your previous windows installation.

Reboot!

Amer Sadik

Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
Best way is to go for win 10 setting and select windows update,,, sys recovery and then select start win 10 from beginning with option to erase everything old, but before that copy the personal files you need on spare disk. It will take some time to clean all the system and start new fresh very fast Win 10. This option is only for units with legal soft available, during the setting it will require to insert the win product key; you can ignore that, for who has the original legal soft. Also VERY IMPORTANT Issue is to have outlook or hotmail account to complete win 10 setting.

Smittysflying

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Upgraded to a SSD with a clean install of Windows 10. I would get ctrl alt del and a blinking cursor and no way to log on at startup. I have multiple hard drives and managed to log into one of them. F8 didn't work but when I finally got on I read a post that said to look and see if the drive you want to use as your primary is checked as 'active'! Sure enough, the new SSD had a drive letter but was not 'active'. Right clicked on the drive through disk management, made it 'active' and it fixed all my log on problems!

johnthegreen

Mar 5, 2016
Visit site
New here hope I'm posting correctly. I have a pavilion 21 all in one (single monitor no secondary monitor ever installed). It came with 8.1. I upgraded to 8.1 pro to join work domain. Got free offer to upgrade to 10, accepted the offer did the upgrade.

On 10, if I log into a domain account I first get a black screen with mouse icon. If I let it sit, it eventually goes to a desktop. However, it is a desktop that does not work right with errors and a start menu button that you can only right click. I've searched for months for a solution and found nothing that worked. I called Microsoft they wanted 499 dollars as I connect to a domain, I said no thanks.

I then decided to do a clean install of 10 with the Iso file I created when I upgraded.
Local account worked fine like all the other times and after joining and logging in with the domain account, the same exact problem. Black screen eventually going to account that does not work properly.

I hope one day I find a solution.

Thank you,

John

schumang

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
New here hope I'm posting correctly. I have a pavilion 21 all in one (single monitor no secondary monitor ever installed). It came with 8.1. I upgraded to 8.1 pro to join work domain. Got free offer to upgrade to 10, accepted the offer did the upgrade.

On 10, if I log into a domain account I first get a black screen with mouse icon. If I let it sit, it eventually goes to a desktop. However, it is a desktop that does not work right with errors and a start menu button that you can only right click. I've searched for months for a solution and found nothing that worked. I called Microsoft they wanted 499 dollars as I connect to a domain, I said no thanks.

I then decided to do a clean install of 10 with the Iso file I created when I upgraded.
Local account worked fine like all the other times and after joining and logging in with the domain account, the same exact problem. Black screen eventually going to account that does not work properly.

I hope one day I find a solution.

Thank you,

John

My issue is similar to yours when I log in with a domain account it takes longer then usual to login and I have nothing but a black screen and courser after a couple minutes I get my desktop. After some experimentation I have determined that if I login immediately after my system finishes booting it takes a long time to login and the black screen can last several minutes, however if I wait two to three minutes before login in my login is quick and and I get my desktop immediately with no black screen.

Dean Grogan

Jul 6, 2016
Visit site
None of these options worked for me per say. I took the steps from a few different posts and for some reason it started to work. Luckily I remember the steps I used to fix the problem. It is very simple and I'm not sure if it will work for anyone else but it did for me.

1) While at the login screen there is the power button at the bottom right of the screen. Hold shift and hit the power button. While still holding shift press restart.
2) An options menu will appear with 4 or 5 options (where people using the safe mode fix were led to). The first option says continue to Windows 8.1 with a picture of an arrow. Press and wait.

Now I'm not sure if this is exactly what fixed it or if there are other necessary steps considering I just dicked around for 30 minutes, but for me the desktop appeared like nothing was wrong.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site

Originally posted by Anav45
I have the same problem and have not figured out how to make Ctrl-Alt-Del bring up TaskMgr directly (and I sure it's not malware since I scanned all files). But I figured out a partial solution. You can launch the program from the application file "Windows\System32\TaskMgr". Of course you don't want to find the file every time you want to use TaskMgr. So find it once, highlight it and right click on that file. Then choose "Send to" and select "Desktop". You will then have a shortcut on your desktop that will launch TaskMgr. After the shortcut is on your desktop, you can "pin" it to your task bar.

Another easy option is to right click on the taskbar and one of the options you can choose is "Task Manager". Good luck

For future reference, ctrl/shift/esc takes you directly to the task manager without the menu you need to navigate through ctrl/alt/delete.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism