Windows 10 "Play to" Missing

FearL0rd

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
How do I use "play to" on windows 10?

Before I was able to swipe right to left devices​>>play and select the device to play from any video in IE metro. How can I do this in EDGE?

Last edited:

FearL0rd

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Re: Windows 10 "Play to"

bb80a6233d2980738cbd84af2dd40f7f.png

Example in 8.1​

Last edited:

sandflo

May 6, 2014
Visit site
I would be interested in that as well. I found that I still can play videos from the File Explorer to the TV. I even could play Videos out of the new Videos app. But I couldn't find how to stream videos out of IE11 or Edge.

fredag07

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
It doesn't have anything to do with Edge. "Connect" in Windows 10 is a system level connection which only supports Miracast/WiDi and Bluetooth receivers, not DLNA receivers. In Windows 8.1 "Play to" supported DLNA receivers, which is what your Xbox is. That's why you can't find any devices when using "Connect" in Windows 10, you don't have any Miracast certified receivers. Not that you want such a receiver, it's an abomination of a protocol compared to DLNA. With Miracast you have to mirror/extend your screen when showing content from Edge (or any other modern app for that matter) on the big screen, with DLNA you could just "send" whatever content you'd like to show to the TV. I am really angry at Microsoft for taking away this feature, why do I have to mirror/extend my screen just to show a picture from Edge?

FearL0rd

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I created an app with an youtube window with command to call Play to and it worked. the charm bar still there.

When I click on the button the W8.1 Play to charm bar displays.
They just need to find a way to do it. Maybe another button similar to Connect to call the charm bar

Maybe after they enable the add-ons/plugins, I will be able to create one with this and share with the community.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/xaml/hh465191

// Play To Contract

var ptm = Windows.Media.PlayTo.PlayToManager.getForCurrentView();
ptm.addEventListener("sourcerequested", sourceRequestHandler, false);

function sourceRequestHandler(e) {
try {
e.sourceRequest.setSource(mediaElement.msPlayToSource);

} catch (ex) {
id("messageDiv").innerHTML += "Exception encountered: " + ex.message + "<br/>";
}
}

Staff online