Multiple Copies of Windows Question

kdk24z

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
I have been reading the numerous postings of problems upgrading to Win10, but I haven't seen anyone yet ask this question. I have three different legitimate/legal copies of Windows (2 legitimately/legally purchased copies of Windows 7 Pro and one copy of Windows 8 Pro) and would like to be able to upgrade them to Windows 10. Unfortunately, I have had two PC's die on me (completely!) so I'm currently only using one copy of Windows 7 Pro. From what I've read thus far, the legitimate copy of Windows is tied to a specific machine I.D. of a computer for the upgrade procedure. Since I currently only have one functional laptop running one of my legitimate copies of Windows 7, how can I get the other legitimate/legal copy that I purchased of Windows 7 and a legally purchased copy of Windows 8 to be able to upgrade to Windows 10 if the upgrade process is authorized via machine code of a specific machine?

I currently have three legally purchased copies of the Windows O.S., but I also only currently have one laptop to use only one of those legally purchased O.S.'s. How can I make sure the other two legally purchased copies of Windows that I have are upgradeable to Windows 10? I can't afford to go out and purchase two different computers to be mechanically attached to those other two legally purchased copies of Windows that I have?

kdk24z

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Well, since nobody replied with any suggestions, this is what I'm doing and I'll just have to wait and see if it works. I upgraded one laptop with Win7Pro to 10 and got both the product keys via Magic Jellybean's 'Key Finder' program and saved that information in a text file. I have another old laptop that I loaded Win8.1Pro on and I'm "trying" to upgrade that to 10, but the laptop is really flaky (or is it the hard drive?), so hopefully I'll be able to get it upgraded and again use the Magic Jellybean to get those two product keys for 8.1 and its upgrade to 10. For my second copy of Win7Pro I'm going to install it on an extra hard drive I have and hope I can get it installed on one of my laptops and then upgrade that to 10 as well and use the Magic Jellybean and get those keys and save all the various keys/codes in a text file for future use if I ever get around to building a desktop. Will this work? I don't know. We'll see. :amaze:

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I've not upgraded enough to sense a pattern, but from what I'm reading it seems that upgrades get a generic product key. The validity of the activation is tied to your hardware. If this is in fact the case, what you're thinking of doing won't do much good.

Here is a Reddit thread in the Windows10 subreddit about this.

It will be interesting to see what happens if you go ahead with your plan. Will you get the same product keys on all of the upgrades? Does the W10 product key you pulled end with 3V66T? If so, I can give you the other 20 digits of your product key as well! :cool:

Note: each version of Windows 10 has its own generic product key. The one ending with 3V66T is for the Pro version. You can search online and easily find the others.

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
I am going to be honest here. Just do it. do it and upgrade immediately, I am sure Windows won't have time to complain about it, I mean, how long have your computers died? so imagine, those keys aren't using on multiple computer at the same time. Windows 10 upgrade is tied to your hardware so if it says "permanently activated" you won't get deactivated because I am sure Microsoft won't care once you are on Windows 10 activation database.
There is no secret that illegally obtained keys can get Windows 10, be permanently activated and clean install 100 times and nothing happens, so why would Microsoft deactivate your computer? once I used a key from a laptop on a PC and it worked fine until I went to Windows 8.
It's not legal per say, like it's not what Microsoft says you should do. but Windows 10 activation is based on your hardware, that's why you have to skip key when you clean install after taking the upgrade free offer. because windows 10 will give you a generic key, so there is no way they can detect your key was illegal or legal, if your hardware says "permanently activated".

That's what I suggest.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo