Battery Drain Issues in Windows 10

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Not a complaint but an observation...all of my Windows 10 Tablets have significant battery drain.

2 Surface Pro 3's
Dell Venue 8 Pro
HP Stream 7

(my Lumia ICON with Windows 10 also suffers, even with a lot of background settings off.)

On my smaller tablets, I forced hibernation to help for now. I used to get 3-5 days sleep/standby on my Venue 8 Pro.

Wanted to make an official thread (since I didn't see one)...I heard there was an "Intel Bug" that was causing some drain.

Mohammad Alsaaed

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
I noticed that my surface pro 2 battery drain really fast after I upgraded it to windows 10. I probably lost 2 hours of working hours on my tablet/laptop cuz of that.

I hope there will be an update to fix this issue or I might need to disable many background apps that's working now and Cortana as well to make the battery last longer :\. it will bad though not using these features to save battery XP

rocketboy

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I noticed this, too. But frankly I think it's the least thing wrong with this upgrade

Yeah so far I'm not thinking this is an improvement over Windows 8.1 for tablets (Surface Pro 2). Haven't tried on my desktop machine. My SP2 now runs hot and has noticeable battery drain. I've just toggled on Battery Saver and that seems to have reduced the heatand given some battery life back. Never had this kind of problem in 8/8.1. Hope this gets addressed soon.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed it too; Surface Pro. I'm wondering if maybe leaving the Edge browser open is causing the issue?

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I've noticed it too; Surface Pro. I'm wondering if maybe leaving the Edge browser open is causing the issue?

I noticed Edge, on my Surface Pro 3 last night, was taking up 78% CPU and I only had one tab open...I barely got 3 hours out of my fully charged SP3 last night. :(

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
I think Edge is a big factor in this. It seems to gobble a tonne of resources to do a fraction of what IE can. I'll drop Edge as soon as something comes along to take the place of IE Metro which is sorely missed. Just need something that works as well as W8 really, but is compatible with apps going forward.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I think Edge is a big factor in this. It seems to gobble a tonne of resources to do a fraction of what IE can. I'll drop Edge as soon as something comes along to take the place of IE Metro which is sorely missed. Just need something that works as well as W8 really, but is compatible with apps going forward.

I thought I was the only one who liked the metro/modern IE... :)

slickster79

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
My SP2 is also experiencing some battery problems and running hotter than before. Not been running Edge much (but not had any problems when I have).

Overall I think Win 10 is great but definitely needs a couple of patches to fix battery drain issues.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Well, it's not due to the Edge browser being left open. Got home this morning to a completely dead SP.

njnbat

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
I bought a new HP Battery for my laptop and i get less than 2 hour battery back up in windows 10 . I feel there is a serious battery drain issue in windows 10 however irrespective of different threads online there doesn't seem to be any updates . The same issue was seen during the preview builds however the main build of windows 10 also has not fixed this issue. My laptop processor is not Intel though, its an AMD .

jwpear

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I see the drain too on my SP3 and Acer Iconia W3. I don't believe it is the browser. I do see some instances of services using CPU, but it is intermittent.

On my SP3, I thought it was the wifi staying on while it was in sleep state. I turned that option off. When I went to bed last night, my SP3 had over 50 percent charge. This morning, it was dead. That's pretty disappointing.

I just sold my SP1 and bought a SP3. I immediately upgraded the SP3 to Windows 10, thinking it would be solid since the SP3 is Microsoft's premium device. I was wrong. I'll say, my SP1 could go weeks in standby and have nearly a full charge the next time I powered up. Of course, it used Intel's Rapid Start to hibernate and wake nearly as quickly as coming up from sleep. I thought the SP3 would do that too or be darn close. That's not the case with W10.

I want a device that still has juice when it wakes from an extended sleep. I value that more than getting notifications while it is in a sleep state. I've read that MS and Intel are working on a fix that will extend battery life by 10 percent. I'm guessing we're going to need more than a 10 percent improvement to resolve this. I'm going back to Windows 8.1 if nothing comes along within the next month.

Neil Gascoyne

May 31, 2015
Visit site
I have an SP3 and initially the battery life was poor, Edge sucks the life out of batteries until you block the mass of advertising, I don't think Edge handles Flash well and way to many Ads have Flash content.

My average CPU utilisation went from <> 20% to around 7%. Also have a look at background tasks.

For some obscure reason MS have chosen to default to "On" for a whole raft of IMO rubbish applications, added to that W10, at present, doesn't appear to be as effective as W8.1 was at suspending tasks. I went through the background tasks and switched most of them off and now my battery life is approaching the same level as the device had under W8.1.

I just set up a new Surface 3 for my wife and set it up like this out of the box and it's reporting <> 10 hours battery life which I think is pretty reasonable.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3