NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 not Compatible with Windows 10?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobinPaul

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
My dads pc won't upgrade due to the stupid video card: Windows 10 can't be installed on this PC NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 due to compatibility

Is there a way to by pass that? I will post screenshot later.

Bob Jamison

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
I had that problem. I went in the nvidia forum and they told me to install driver for windows 8.1. Did that, still no go. So I went to Microsoft windows 10 download on Microsoft site and downloaded direct. It now works but Windows 10 Installs a generic driver which doesn't include the 1600x900 resolution I need for my monitor. It works with a resolution of 1280x1024, but it doesn't look good on some of my games. There doesn't seem to be a way to override the 10 driver with 8.1. Hope that helps.

Kerry Tankersley

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
I have the same problem. Any recommendation for a new video card that is compatible & not worth the price of a new desktop? I don't know anything about this. I do use my flatscreen as my monitor.

Info1.png

Info2.png

Last edited by a moderator:

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Through my experience upgrading, one of the things rearing it's ugly head is display adapter incompatibility (in general), seems to be a common problem w/official release. I'm gathering MS failed to provide generic driver support in this release of W10, could be wrong but this didn't seem to be as much of a problem when it was in the Insider Preview stage.

Last edited:

Scott Bradley

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Depends, I purchased a GeForce GT 610. I needed a PCI express 2.0 x 16 low profile card - I paid about $40 for the card.

What is the make and model of your PC? I had the GeForce 7100 and it uses the same driver as yours...

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Depends, I purchased a GeForce GT 610. I needed a PCI express 2.0 x 16 low profile card - I paid about $40 for the card.

What is the make and model of your PC? I had the GeForce 7100 and it uses the same driver as yours...

I think the bottom line is W10 and the manufacturers are lacking in the device driver support department, doesn't allow for an install/proper install on some PCs, finding it more prevalent w/the OTA upgrade in that the install fails due to incompatibility and refuses to carry on... Sure, can manually install using the ISO but I've had failures with that too, in my eyes W10 just wasn't quite ready for prime time.

Did many upgrades in my day which was the norm before doing a complete refresh and never once was there an issue getting the OS up and running, unless age or hardware failure played a role, OEMs and homebuilt alike.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
There is a ton of PC's with the NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE build in display card in them. One of my two systems have that card and it will not upgrade either. The question is are they going to do anything about it. I would assume NVIDIA has to come out with a driver that will power the system with W10. Even if they do then the question becomes will they make it available to be included in the ongoing OTA upgrades, or does Microsoft believe this is not their problem. How many other systems have the same problem with other display chipsets. This could get out of hand quickly and give Microsoft another black eye. Like they really need it. Win 10 should include a generic driver to get the system going and then you could download a driver for the 6150SE to get all its benifits. Then it would become NVIDIA's problem and I am sure they would do something about it.

Scott Bradley

May 1, 2014
Visit site
There is a ton of PC's with the NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE build in display card in them. One of my two systems have that card and it will not upgrade either. The question is are they going to do anything about it. I would assume NVIDIA has to come out with a driver that will power the system with W10. Even if they do then the question becomes will they make it available to be included in the ongoing OTA upgrades, or does Microsoft believe this is not their problem. How many other systems have the same problem with other display chipsets. This could get out of hand quickly and give Microsoft another black eye. Like they really need it. Win 10 should include a generic driver to get the system going and then you could download a driver for the 6150SE to get all its benifits. Then it would become NVIDIA's problem and I am sure they would do something about it.

I have a post a couple of page down discussing this as a pain point after release, and it is.

Does Microsoft believe this is not their problem? Frankly, it isn't Microsoft problem, they provide the update spec to the hardware manufacturers well advanced of releasing a new product. The device manufacturer chooses what legacy equipment to support and what legacy equipment not to support, Microsoft has no control over the hardware manufacturers decision or speed of development.

Will NVIDIA eventually develop a driver? I have no idea, I contacted NVIDIA directly and they said they will not discuss future development plans. If they have chosen to deprecate those cards completely, then they will never be supported.

Microsoft has a generic VGA driver that does work in some cases, and you can also try the Windows 8 driver - but neither worked well for me in Insider Testing (You and I need the same driver)

So, I did what I always do when a product has outlived its supported lifespan - I updated and replaced my old cheap graphics card with something newer and frankly, just as cheap.

So, yes, I think it is rather unfair of you to blame Microsoft. Blame the computer manufacturer, blame NVIDIA, but Microsoft cannot stop development simply because a hardware manufacturer has drawn a line in the sand.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Not really blaming Microsoft for not providing a driver for the NVIDIA chipset. The computer in question runs fine with 8.1 and if need be that is where it will stay. I find 8.1 ran much faster on my other (more modern system) so W10 may not be a good fit for the older computer anyway. Don't recall if Microsoft stated anything about chip sets on systems not working even if said system ran fine with 8.1. But I am sure there are alot of people wondering why their system does not qualify. Whose fault it is really does not matter if it does not work. Thats one less of the millions of systems that was suppose to get W10. How many more are out there is a good question?

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
That thing is from like 2005. It probably can't even handle 10 anyway get a new PC it's been a decade. or if you're really cheap, buy a discrete card that's supported.

Scott Bradley

May 1, 2014
Visit site
That thing is from like 2005. It probably can't even handle 10 anyway get a new PC it's been a decade. or if you're really cheap, buy a discrete card that's supported.

In fairness, Microsoft said it would install on Windows 7 machines (mine is a similar generation and came as windows 7)

It isn't the fastest computer in the world, but seems to handle Windows 10 okay - a good computer for the kids and a test bed for me. That said, you can't control what the hardware manufacturers decide to do.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My dads pc won't upgrade due to the stupid video card: Windows 10 can't be installed on this PC NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 due to compatibility

Is there a way to by pass that? I will post screenshot later.

Unfortunately 6150SE had terrible compatibility in 2007.. It is now 2015. Assuming you have a small form factor desktop. 9500GT, HD5450, and HD7450 are good cards to look out for. Go for $20 on eBay

Nvidia had Vista drivers for Win7, Win8, and Win8.1. Maintenance coding. The possibility of fixing the driver and getting WHQL is slim to none. Costs money and time, both of which Nvidia has not given since its release.

Last edited:

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

It's nice to see that your machines are going strong. I highly doubt Nvidia will provide the maintenance needed for the 6150SE.
Would be best to get a low power PCI/e graphics card. Performance would be improved greatly. Should be able to squeeze another few years with ease.

ro_br

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
I had that problem. I went in the nvidia forum and they told me to install driver for windows 8.1. Did that, still no go. So I went to Microsoft windows 10 download on Microsoft site and downloaded direct. It now works but Windows 10 Installs a generic driver which doesn't include the 1600x900 resolution I need for my monitor. It works with a resolution of 1280x1024, but it doesn't look good on some of my games. There doesn't seem to be a way to override the 10 driver with 8.1. Hope that helps.

I am thinking about direct downloading it too, can you tell me if it supports 1440x900 resolution?

Warren Dean

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
I have a post a couple of page down discussing this as a pain point after release, and it is.

Does Microsoft believe this is not their problem? Frankly, it isn't Microsoft problem, they provide the update spec to the hardware manufacturers well advanced of releasing a new product. The device manufacturer chooses what legacy equipment to support and what legacy equipment not to support, Microsoft has no control over the hardware manufacturers decision or speed of development.

Will NVIDIA eventually develop a driver? I have no idea, I contacted NVIDIA directly and they said they will not discuss future development plans. If they have chosen to deprecate those cards completely, then they will never be supported.

Microsoft has a generic VGA driver that does work in some cases, and you can also try the Windows 8 driver - but neither worked well for me in Insider Testing (You and I need the same driver)

So, I did what I always do when a product has outlived its supported lifespan - I updated and replaced my old cheap graphics card with something newer and frankly, just as cheap.

So, yes, I think it is rather unfair of you to blame Microsoft. Blame the computer manufacturer, blame NVIDIA, but Microsoft cannot stop development simply because a hardware manufacturer has drawn a line in the sand.

Well stated. :)

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm using the ASUS Corporate Stable Model 2 GB Graphic Card. GT610-2GD3-CSM. About 50 bucks on Amazon. Graphics looks great.

Walter Bacelar

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
Hello there, I am passing throught this very same problem using this GeForce card.
Can you tell me what you did when you said: "So I went to Microsoft windows 10 download on Microsoft site and downloaded direct."
I mean, where have you downloaded what?
I try to update the card driver using Windows Update and also went at NVIDIA website and downloaded some Win10 drivers. But, I can't run the Win10 installer. It is stucked on the screen showning the video card incompatibility error.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Just found out that my PC won't upgrade too! And I even can't use my AMD GPU cause my PCI slot has gone dead and doesn't recognize my card! :angry:
Nothing new there. Microsoft has a tendency to address everything in your computer especially memory locations. If it finds anything faulty, it simply will not load.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism