The Get Windows 10 App is not available for this version of Windows.

onebeanshy

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
Hi! I posted on an article but figure it would be seen by more here. (Thought of it afterwards...)

I've been updating my laptop all day. It's completely up to date. I'm running Windows 8.1 64bit, Windows is activated. The laptop was purchased last year. It is a home use computer, so I'm not restricted by admin and licenses, etc.

After not getting the app icon to show, and following waaaay too many instructions, I finally came across the Windows troubleshooter (I can't post the link since I don't have enough posts here, but it's this article KB3081048). So I run it, and the tool come to the conclusion that "The Get Windows 10 App is not available for this version of Windows." So, I click next and get to the why: "Problems found: Windows not up to date." But it is! I have zero updates to download/install. I have checked and checked. I'm at a loss.

Would love some input. Also, does this mean I can not run Windows 10 or just the "get" app?

Thank you!

Coyote2

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
I'm experiencing the exact same thing. I did have the "Get Windows 10" app in the taskbar for a while, but it seems to have disappeared a while ago, maybe when KB2976978 installed for the second time? The troubleshooter is the same for me...not up to date, not available for this version...WHAAAA? Yeah, that's just why I was able to reserve it in the first place.

EDIT: After a bit of searching the internet, I discovered that the GWX icon was set to "HIDE icon and notifications" (control panel-->Notification Area Icons). *I* did not change the setting, so I wonder what DID. I think the troubleshooter is just a lot of hooey and doesn't work correctly, as it could not even identify that the GWX app WAS already installed!! One would think this is the FIRST thing the troubleshooter would check. Guess not. Great job on the troubleshooter, Microsoft. Really helps my confidence in Windows 10, too. Check to see if some unknown thing just hid your Get Windows 10 app.

"...not available for this version of Windows" Yeah, right. Horse pucky.

Last edited:

ajmoor

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
Crossposting.

This problem is the same as mine.

I have OEM consumer licensed version of Win 8.1 on a Dell. All updates installed, all required KB updates installed and verified. I see no Get Windows 10 icon and never have. I ran the GWX troubleshooter gw10app and here are the results:

Unsupported version

The Get Windows 10 App is not available for this version of Windows

Problems found: Windows not up to date.

The Get Windows 10 App is only for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 users.

Collection information
Computer Name: [my computer's name]
Windows Version: 6.3
Architecture: x64
Time: Saturday, August 1, 2015 1:13:44 PM

WTF???

Kyle Crider

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
I've been having this problem as well. my laptop is a hp that i got back in 2013. It was already on windows 8 when i got it and have been keeping up to date ever sense.

You need to fix this soon Microsoft. i don't want to pay for something i should be able to get for free and i don't plan to.

Carlos002

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
Ok people! I'm a TP (Technical Preview) user! Which means I didn't face that issue: What you can do: Look for Windows Central article detailing how to force check Windows 10 update and install!
Sorry I can't post the link but I'm posting via Phone! So that's it!
Or make a Backup save it on Hard drive or External drive! Download Windows 10 ISO! Copy your product key.
Boot Windows 10, restore backup!
These are two main solutions! So you choose!

Carlos002

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
Crossposting.

This problem is the same as mine.

I have OEM consumer licensed version of Win 8.1 on a Dell. All updates installed, all required KB updates installed and verified. I see no Get Windows 10 icon and never have. I ran the GWX troubleshooter gw10app and here are the results:

Unsupported version

The Get Windows 10 App is not available for this version of Windows

Problems found: Windows not up to date.

The Get Windows 10 App is only for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 users.

Collection information
Computer Name: [my computer's name]
Windows Version: 6.3
Architecture: x64
Time: Saturday, August 1, 2015 1:13:44 PM

WTF???
Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 are required to download and Install Windows 10!

ajmoor

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
Thank you, TechAbstract. After rooting around on so many forums and Microsoft's own sites, you are the person who pointed me to the one thing I needed: A link to download and install Windows 10. It worked perfectly and I'm now on Win10. No idea why the Get Windows 10 process didn't work, nor why there are so many convoluted documents on- and off MSFT explaining all these steps -- none of which point you to the simple "Download Windows 10" page.

Thank you!

Andromeda18

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site
I was having this problem on one of my computers and, although the Get Windows 10 App was installed, nothing seemed to get it to launch. I eventually came across a Microsoft page with the following instructions (sorry, can't post the link unless I have more than 10 posts):

If your copy of Windows is not genuine, or if you have a Volume License copy (intended for businesses), the icon will not appear. To check this, open a Command Prompt (from the Start menu or screen, search for cmd, right-click on Command Prompt in the results and select Run as administrator), type slmgr /dli and then hit Enter. A window will appear with the channel in the Description line (Retail, OEM, or Volume), and the License Status. If your copy of Windows is not activated, refer to Knowledge Base article 950929 for more information. If you have a Volume License copy, it does not qualify for the free upgrade.

It turns out my version of Windows 7 is a Volume License copy. So, although I have a genuine version of Windows 7 Pro SP1 it doesn't qualify for a free upgrade to Windows 10.

When you type slmgr /dli on the Command Prompt a window will appear with information about your version of Windows. If you see 'VOLUME_MAK channel' on the description then your Windows is also a Volume License copy and you don't qualify either. On my other computer the description has 'RETAIL channel' and I didn't have any trouble with the Get Windows 10 App.

GerrieMalan

Sep 1, 2015
Visit site
I had the same problem and these steps worked for me :
1. Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Schedule Tasks

2. Task scheduler library > Microsoft > Windows > Setup >

GWXTriggers , select ‘refreshgwxconfig-B’ and run it.

GerrieMalan

Sep 1, 2015
Visit site
I had the same problem with version etc. and I followed these steps and the app icon immediately appeared and I upgraded successfully.

1. Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Schedule Tasks

2. Task scheduler library > Microsoft > Windows > Setup >

GWXTriggers , select ?refreshgwxconfig-B? and run it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3