Why can't i login using a microsoft ID?

Michael Jesus

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
I have successfully installed windows 10. I am having difficulty trying to login to my Live ID though.
1:i go to my account.
2: I click change account settings.
3: I see that i am a "local account administrator."
4: i click "sign in with a microsoft account instead"
5: a box pops up, loads for about 2 seconds then i see "something went wrong. Try again, or select cancel to set up your device later."
6: i click retry and the error continues to pop up.

Am i doing something wrong here? Is there a way to fix this?

Side note: I am connected to internet. My computer met the spec requirements and runs very fast. Everything else on the computer works. Prior to installing windows 10. i factory reset the laptop. Got all appropriate Windows 7 updates before installing 10. I am running out of ideas.

*edit* Setting up a second account is also impossible. I receive the same error.

Last edited:

David Feifer

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Try setting up a secondary account using your Microsoft account? settings -> Accounts -> Family & Other Users then Add one else to this PC

Manolo Marino

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
Hi, sorry for my bad english :eck:.

Maybe you have uninstalled Internet Explorer?
Yes or Not, go to Internet settings > Advanced settings and check "Use TLS 1.1" and "Use TLS 1.2".
Now, for me, the "box pop up" permit the Account's login :smile:.

Manolo (Italy)

dvdhills

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Similarly, I did a upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 on my desktop pc. The Local Accounts all made it through the transfer. I was able to log onto my local account and link it with my microsoft account. On the other two local accounts it will not connect with the Microsoft account. I log into the local account, go to the account settings under your account. I select "Sign in with microsoft account instead". I give the microsoft account user name and password and then answer the prompt for the local account password. I click next and it goes right back to the settings window with no change.
I have upgraded two other machines and do not have this problem with any of the accounts on those machines. After I linked my local and microsoft accounts I did add a work email that asked to change some of the security policies. This is the only explanation I can think of. Can anyone tell me how to get this to work. I do not want to delete the local accounts because they contain all of our data.

Ben Salmon

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem and its annoying. everything is running nice and smoothly. its just the main features i was looking forward to using i.e. Cortana and the App Store. any help would be great :D

Side note: some of my software like spotify says i have no internet connection even though i have access to the internet

Thanks

dvdhills

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I still cannot make 2 of the local accounts log in to the microsoft account. I have now successfully done this on 5 computers and failed on only one. Same 3 local accounts and same 3 microsoft accounts. On one machine, only 1 of the accounts were successful.

It did not work for me. I reset the Advanced settings in IE. I checked on and off the TLS boxes. With them unchecked, I cannot even enter the microsoft account information. With them checked on I get through the process of entering my microsoft account information, then entering my local account password. As soon as I click next it goes straight to the account settings page with no effect.

I even reset to the earliest restore point I had. It didn't work. I have tried to run secpol.msc, but it does not exist on my machine.

dvdhills

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I finally did a refresh of Windows 10 and had the same issue. I had to do a clean instal and now I can log in to my Microsoft account and link the accounts of all of the local accounts on this pc.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster